PDA

View Full Version : VFR1200 recalled by Honda

Bob
5th June 2010, 00:16
The following is a recall notice issued in the UK - not sure if the same issue is being reported worldwide.

Honda has issued a recall for 392 Honda VFR1200 models sold in the UK following reports of abnormal engine noise, caused by the presence of aluminium swarf.

Honda confirmed the problem affects models bought within a specific time frame and will contact affected customers directly.

Honda has confirmed that the problem affects models bought within a specific time frame and that it will contact all affected customers directly to advise them to consult with their local Honda dealer. The swarf could cause a potential problem with the engine and in a worst case scenario cause engine seizure if the swarf restricts engine oil passage.

Should owners have concerns, contact either their local Honda dealer or Honda’s Recall Line on 0845 200 8002.

Not ideal timing when you consider the VFR1200 isn't exactly flying out of dealers, but good to see Honda has reacted quickly to the situation.

NZsarge
5th June 2010, 09:22
Hmm, that's interesting along with some new FireBlades that burn oil excessively, unreliable Honda's, what's the world coming too....

Chrislost
5th June 2010, 17:23
Hmm, that's interesting along with some new FireBlades that burn oil excessively, unreliable Honda's, what's the world coming too....

Thats what you get when you drop the build quality to make them compete pricewise with the likes of suzuki and kawasaki...

Crasherfromwayback
5th June 2010, 17:32
Honda has issued a recall for 392 Honda VFR1200 models sold world wide

Due to the fact that they're ugly...over weight, and...well...ugly and over weight. Oh...and worse than the model they're supposed to replace.

NZsarge
5th June 2010, 19:04
Thats what you get when you drop the build quality to make them compete pricewise with the likes of suzuki and kawasaki...

Actually I thought the "Blades and VFR1200's were screwed together rather well and the Honda's in question are still expensive as so that does'nt make sense...
My comments were like it or not dealing in facts, there have been in this site alone a number of people remark that their new "blade was drinking oil and there has indeed been a recall on the VFR1200 dealing with significant engine issues. The build quality of my Kawasaki is just fine thank-you, it's not the best out there but it is'nt rubbish either, it does'nt cost the $30k the VFR does either so...

Bob
6th June 2010, 22:45
Actually I thought the "Blades and VFR1200's were screwed together rather well and the Honda's in question are still expensive as so that does'nt make sense...
My comments were like it or not dealing in facts, there have been in this site alone a number of people remark that their new "blade was drinking oil and there has indeed been a recall on the VFR1200 dealing with significant engine issues. The build quality of my Kawasaki is just fine thank-you, it's not the best out there but it is'nt rubbish either, it does'nt cost the $30k the VFR does either so...

I'm with you here. I own a GSX650F - a Suzuki remember - and it doesn't get washed too often. And it is ridden 12 months of the year in the UK... a country where it can be cold, hot, wet, dry - sometimes all on the same day! And it is holding up very well indeed, thank you.

I also once owned one of the original Yamaha Fazers - a bike that used to get slated for the quality of the finish. So how was it, that when I came to sell it, the dealer accidentally let slip what great condition it was in.

And (and this is the one that is going to get all the abusive responses coming in, even though it isn't meant in a derogatory way), a few years ago I had to do research into recalls in a 12 month period. The company with the most recalls? Honda. The company with the least? Harley-Davidson.

Now (just to make it REALLY clear, in an attempt to stop a fatwah being put out on me by the Honda Supporters Club), I am not slating Honda. You can argue "Good for them, they were very responsible". But if you go with the urban myths about quality of finish, then anything other than a Honda will fall apart after a bad rain shower.

The quality of all the Japanese bikes is good these days. And British. And American. Even the Korean stuff is getting better, though it still lags behind. China? Well that still looks frankly awful given the state of some of the stuff I see on the road. But pay peanuts and you get a monkey. Or something.

quickbuck
6th June 2010, 23:50
Yes,
Well said Bob.

The lack of recalls for Harley though... Could be one of two things:
1) Look at the demographic of riders... Harley are too scared of the ramifications of a recall.
2) There isn't actually a lot in a Harley to go wrong... ;)

NZsarge
7th June 2010, 10:27
And (and this is the one that is going to get all the abusive responses coming in, even though it isn't meant in a derogatory way), a few years ago I had to do research into recalls in a 12 month period. The company with the most recalls? Honda. The company with the least? Harley-Davidson.
Not that surprised by the Harley Davidson part of that equation really as they are hardly pushing any boundaries but I guess in there market they occupy that's fair enough. Lets face it currently how many different motors do they make? Two maybe not counting different versions of...

Yes,

2) There isn't actually a lot in a Harley to go wrong... ;)

Yes indeed.
I guess when you build as many bikes as Honda does and indeed the Japanese manufactures every year...

NZsarge
7th June 2010, 10:29
And (and this is the one that is going to get all the abusive responses coming in, even though it isn't meant in a derogatory way), a few years ago I had to do research into recalls in a 12 month period. The company with the most recalls? Honda.

Was that per unit or market place wide?

Swoop
7th June 2010, 20:38
Due to the fact that they're ugly...over weight, and...well...ugly and over weight.
You forgot "hideously overpriced"......<_<

Bob
8th June 2010, 00:37
Was that per unit or market place wide?

That was recalls, full stop. So Honda had say 36 in a year, Harley had 4 (just made those up). No taking into account how many different models made.

imdying
11th June 2010, 10:03
Honda - some 08 CBR1000s burn too much oil; rings replaced with 09 spec
Suzuki - no, our GSXR1000 frames don't crack (shhhhhh, we'll replace them in the states for those that winge loud enough)

Which company was using glue to stick a bracing piece on the inside?