PDA

View Full Version : Warm up and cool down

Babelfish
8th June 2010, 21:20
Sorry if this has been posted before...I have searched to no avail.

I am sure plenty has been said about warming up an engine before riding it. I am of the though that they dont need much, so mine just gets around enough time to get a reading on the temp guage and I'm off.

However, a mate of mine always cools his bike down after a run into town. Now I used to do this for my turbo (car)...and it sounded cool on old mg's....but do you really need to let a bike engine cool? Surely by letting it stand it'll heat until the fans kick in? The oils already around it, so what benefit is there to idling it before shut down?

This wouldnt normally be a problem, but I have to wait for his bloody bike to cool to be polite and my time is FUCKING valuable! :mellow:

How can set me straight on this?

vifferman
10th June 2010, 18:19
Warm up: Best to do it riding; just a minimal warm-up while putting your gloves and helmet on, then ride off. Gets better oil circulation, and some bikes (e.g., Firestorms) are actually done more harm than good warming up on the sidestand.
Cool down is unnecessary, unless you've flanged the piss out of the bike then shut it off. However, having said that, if my bike gets hot on the commute home, I cruise down the street at lowish revs (it's downhill) to let it get below about 90C before I park it.

Babelfish
10th June 2010, 18:32
Yeah, thats pretty much how I read it. Right, so said mate can stop cockin about and making me politely wait while he pretends he has a turbo to wind down.

CookMySock
10th June 2010, 20:18
Warm up, all you need is a stable idle and then you can ride it away quietly - ten seconds will do, but don't fang any cold engine hard or it will nip and tuck somewhere you'd rather it didn't.

Cool down, just park up and turn it off, especially if you have lots of exhaust under plastic which will get real hot real quick with no cooling breeze over it.

Everyone does what they like with their stuff, and that's important too, perhaps more important than what is right or wrong.

Steve

Babelfish
12th June 2010, 07:43
Everyone does what they like with their stuff, and that's important too, perhaps more important than what is right or wrong.

Oh shit, dont get all flouncy on me, people should do things for a reason and if they can be educated to avoid wasting my aforementioned valuable time then FUCKING GREAT!

I think there's a little samurai sword effect here. You know, revering a weapon such that it must draw blood before its sheathed etc. I take your point that some people need to relieve this tension, but the sword doesn't give a toss.

Warm up is understandable, although some still warm their bikes as though we dont have multiple weight oil and more efficient pumping and galleries. There's probably a shite load of stuff we do that is a throw back to bikes of old but thats the beauty of understanding your bike down to the pistons and continueing to learn. :yes:

CookMySock
12th June 2010, 08:01
Oh shit, dont get all flouncy on me, people should do things for a reason and if they can be educated to avoid wasting my aforementioned valuable time then FUCKING GREAT!

I think there's a little samurai sword effect here. You know, revering a weapon such that it must draw blood before its sheathed etc. I take your point that some people need to relieve this tension, but the sword doesn't give a toss.

Warm up is understandable, although some still warm their bikes as though we dont have multiple weight oil and more efficient pumping and galleries. There's probably a shite load of stuff we do that is a throw back to bikes of old but thats the beauty of understanding your bike down to the pistons and continueing to learn. :yes:It's nothing to do with the motorbike -it's to do with the person.

Sure, the motorbike or its engine quite likely doesn't give a fuck, but when things make its' rider feel what they want to feel - that's important. Just as you feel strongly in this case (frustrated) they have strong feelings as well - it's no different.

Steve

Babelfish
12th June 2010, 08:18
It's nothing to do with the motorbike -it's to do with the person.

Sure, the motorbike or its engine quite likely doesn't give a fuck, but when things make its' rider feel what they want to feel - that's important. Just as you feel strongly in this case (frustrated) they have strong feelings as well - it's no different.

Steve

Yeah, I choose the educate the person so they are a joy to be with. What someone does off my watch is all cool, taking the tree falling with noone around concept. I agree with you, but I stop agreeing when it impacts me. Now I can explain the concept to said warm-down person and he can feel happy turning the engine off sooner. In any case my friend, I think there is a bleeding hearts section somewhere else on this forum...this area is for engines and as you agree, they dont give a fuck about our feelings.

CookMySock
12th June 2010, 08:27
I agree with you, but I stop agreeing when it impacts me.Well, what about when your actions impact them? The whole discussion so far is not just about the engine, but about what they could do different. What if they don't want to do anything different?

Sometimes it's more about us - we have to find our own way to get our head around it, particularly if it's our spouse, and we want the relationship to last. Where is the balance?

Steve

Babelfish
12th June 2010, 08:34
Spouse? Balance? Relationship? Something tells me you need to go and have a chat and cuddle with your wife.

Key here is engine needs little warming, and less cooling. Thanks for coming.

hellokitty
12th June 2010, 19:17
Sometimes it's more about us - we have to find our own way to get our head around it, particularly if it's our spouse, and we want the relationship to last. Where is the balance?

Steve

My poor husband has to wait ages while I get all my gear on (which I do while I am warming my bike up) I know it is annoying that I take so long but he never complains.

Taz
12th June 2010, 19:23
My poor husband has to wait ages while I get all my gear on (which I do while I am warming my bike up) I know it is annoying that I take so long but he never complains.

If the ride was leaving at 9am I'd just tell you we had to be gone by 8 then problem is solved......

hellokitty
12th June 2010, 20:00
If the ride was leaving at 9am I'd just tell you we had to be gone by 8 then problem is solved......
Good idea = I don't know why it takes me so long........ I guess I fiddle too much with the gloves.
Once I forgot to do up my helmet - only got out of the driveway but now I have to double check everything!

Babelfish
12th June 2010, 21:01

Does he start to complain when you take it off? And do you let the bike warm-down in the process? :shifty:

CookMySock
12th June 2010, 21:27
My poor husband has to wait ages while I get all my gear on (which I do while I am warming my bike up) I know it is annoying that I take so long but he never complains.It's alright. It's what we do. Take your time! :niceone:

Steve

scumdog
13th June 2010, 10:29
Get all gear on,
Start bike,
Check no bags etc left sitting on ground nearb,
Ride off.

Just don't fang it for first 5 minutes, 10 is bette.r

End of ride?
Put down stand,
Turn off motor.

Easy.:yes:

Babelfish
13th June 2010, 19:35
I'm sensing you've left some bags in your time? I do the same check, probably for the same reason as I could probably recall a time where I had to quickly turn back and pick up my work bag from the pavement.

That's pretty much my routine:

I get all gear on
sit on bike to get it off its side stand
start and let revs settle for about 10 secs
ride off
I'll keep the revs below 2 grand (v twin thou) until I hit 70+ degrees temp
party time

end of ride, park and engine straight off (unless its already off while I coast to a stop)

Seems to be what norm for the more educated of us :Pokey: