PDA

View Full Version : Refitting the head - How clean should the faces be?

magicmonkey
14th June 2010, 12:19
ok, I'm just waiting on getting my head back after having a valve seat re-ground and I'm wondering how clean the faces should be before I put the head back on. I've cleaned them up so that there's nothing causing any bumps etc but there's still some discolouration around the top of the barrels. Is that enough or should I be getting in there with the wire wool and getting it all back to shiny metal?

sidecar bob
14th June 2010, 12:48
With bike engines i tend to use 1000 grit wet & dry with CRC & get it completely blemish free & flush the surface with Brakleen to remove any contamination from the surface, finishing off with a clean, dry, lint free cloth.

magicmonkey
14th June 2010, 12:52
With bike engines i tend to use 1000 grit wet & dry with CRC & get it completely blemish free & flush the surface with Brakleen to remove any contamination from the surface, finishing off with a clean, dry, lint free cloth.

I was kind of hoping to stay away from sandpaper as the cylinders are still on the engine and I didn't want to be getting grit in there, is that something I should worry about or just ignore?

The Pastor
14th June 2010, 13:33
You can shove a clean rag / news paper down the cylinders if you're worried,

i've just used a scraper and gasket remover in the past.

sidecar bob
14th June 2010, 15:24
Flush the bores with brakleen & blow around the edge of the piston to remove any traces of grit that may end up sitting on top of the rings.
1000 grit is so fine it isint a problem.