PDA

View Full Version : Some advice, settle a discussion

bones135
15th June 2010, 16:46
Okay well this may well be meathead question of the year but having a chat here on the best way to check the engine oil,lol Should it be standing up on the side stand or upright on the likes of a pit/paddock stand. Yea yea i know but just trying to settle something once & for all,lol:blink:

bogan
15th June 2010, 16:48
upright, always upright. And if you have a screw in dipstick, don't screw it in when you check!

bones135
15th June 2010, 16:50
Lol thank you.....eggzackery what i said...im right im right,lol
Cheers

slofox
15th June 2010, 16:54
Lol thank you.....eggzackery what i said...im right im right,lol
Cheers

Soooo...didja win anything?

bones135
15th June 2010, 16:56
lol na just another boost to the ego, proving that the old fella still knows more than the young ones,lol

avgas
15th June 2010, 17:12
Hate to make the old fella feel bad. But don't you have a window on your sports-bike for the oil.........one which is completely covered when on side stand and between the markers when the bike is upright......

bones135
15th June 2010, 17:15
Haha nice try but havent seen one on this bike, the Duc had one yea but nothing one this.....Shit i hope im right....runs out to the garage to check,lol

MSTRS
15th June 2010, 17:42
Hate to make the old fella feel bad. But don't you have a window on your sports-bike for the oil.........one which is completely covered when on side stand and between the markers when the bike is upright......

Window is usually (should be) clear of oil when on sidestand. I don't know of any bikes that have them on the same side...

bones135
15th June 2010, 18:12
Aint no windows on my bike, just a lil clear screen & no oil behind that,lol

schrodingers cat
15th June 2010, 19:03
Can't believe you came here to get a concensus answer...

I call black. Everyone agree?

Seriously - common sense would dictate the oil level should be checked with the bike upright. However, that isn't to say that there may be machinery out there with a level indicator that can be checked at resting state i.e. on sidestand. Also, does the manufacturer recommend the engine running or stopped? If running, at idle?

For an absolute answer you'd need to consult the manual per machine

bones135
16th June 2010, 06:13
Can't believe you came here to get a concensus answer...

I call black. Everyone agree?

Seriously - common sense would dictate the oil level should be checked with the bike upright. However, that isn't to say that there may be machinery out there with a level indicator that can be checked at resting state i.e. on sidestand. Also, does the manufacturer recommend the engine running or stopped? If running, at idle?

For an absolute answer you'd need to consult the manual per machine
Yup got all that thanks.......Answered the question.....proved my point to those who didnt believe me.
When i get hold of the manual then ill sit down & have a read.....may answer a few more queries i have then also,lol

Owl
16th June 2010, 07:22
And if you have a screw in dipstick, don't screw it in when you check!

Mine must be screwed in to check oil level!

RiderInBlack
16th June 2010, 09:03
For an absolute answer you'd need to consult the manual per machineAye, always check the oil as per the manual for ya bike. On my GSX1400K5:
ENGINE OIL LEVEL CHECK

Start the engine and run it for a few minutes.
Stop the engine and wait three minutes.
Hold the motorcycle vertically and inspect the engine oil level through the engine oil level inspection window on the right side of the engine.
CAUTION
The engine oil level must be between the "L"(Low) line and "F"(Full) line, or engine damage may occur.
Check the oil level, through the inspection window, with the motorcycle held vertically on level ground before each use of the motorcycle.

Got ta love the language used in Manuals LOL.

avgas
16th June 2010, 09:20
Window is usually (should be) clear of oil when on sidestand. I don't know of any bikes that have them on the same side...
You may be right on that. Tis been a while since I have had one. And some moron has painted over the one on the current bike. Will be scraping the paint off this weekend.
I just remember that you couldn't determine the level until you lifted the bike upright.
I still think its stupid that you have to get the bike vertical to check oil though - surely someone has designed some tool where you can check the oil level while on sidestand.
I mean 1 mans 90 degrees is anothers 80 degrees........

Corse1
16th June 2010, 09:41

Yep same with my Triumph...must be screwed in to check.

Now checking on a pit stand raises the rear and as most dipsticks are at the rear of the motor you may actually be putting in too much oil but how anal do ya want to be!!

So check when up right on both wheels would be correct. Manuals don't assume everyone has pit stands.

MSTRS
16th June 2010, 09:46
You may be right on that.
I mean 1 mans 90 degrees is anothers 80 degrees........

Some farm bikes have a sidestand on both sides...forgot about them.
Otherwise, to check you bike is vertical, just stand it up and, holding onto the rightside bar, the bike should be in a state of 'balance' (not requiring any effort to hold it from falling either way). You can be sure that it is directly upright, no matter if the ground is not level, then you can crouch down to view the sight glass to see the level in the casing window is right.

bogan
16th June 2010, 09:59

Yep same with my Triumph...must be screwed in to check.

Always one who's gotta be different for the sake of being different aye :laugh:

Owl
16th June 2010, 12:25
Now checking on a pit stand raises the rear and as most dipsticks are at the rear of the motor you may actually be putting in too much oil but how anal do ya want to be!!

So check when up right on both wheels would be correct. Manuals don't assume everyone has pit stands.

I certainly wouldn't recommend checking on a stand................or two.

My rear stand leans the bike to the left side and even with two stands, the rear is still raised higher than the front. What's wrong with the ground?

Always one who's gotta be different for the sake of being different aye :laugh:

Some poor Triumph owner has probably just added an extra 2ltrs to their bike after reading your first post.:brick:

:laugh:

onearmedbandit
16th June 2010, 12:32
Bike on flat even ground, standing upright on both wheels (don't use stands). Check window or dipstick. Simple. That's been the procedure for every bike I've owned, and I've only ever run a big end on one, and that was on purpose on a Kwaka Z440 many moons ago. Still managed to ride it most of the way back to town as well.

imdying
16th June 2010, 12:57
I mean 1 mans 90 degrees is anothers 80 degrees........1 man is a retard then. Upright is always upright, but sidestands can sag. Besides which, 10 degrees isn't going to make much of a difference at the window.