PDA

View Full Version : Valve clearance check?

bluebird
6th July 2010, 22:34
At 24,000k's my M109R is due for what sounds like an eye wateringly expensive service as the valve clearances are due for checking. Is this necessary at these k's? If so is it a big job?:gob:

rustic101
6th July 2010, 23:08
:buggerd: You may want to find secondary employment

tri boy
7th July 2010, 07:10
Probably alot cheaper than replacing worn/damaged valve train components.

SS90
8th July 2010, 05:27
At 24,000k's my M109R is due for what sounds like an eye wateringly expensive service as the valve clearances are due for checking. Is this necessary at these k's? If so is it a big job?:gob:

How much would you consider "eye wateringly expensive"?

Prices for such things are somewhat subjective.

F5 Dave
9th July 2010, 14:57
It might be totally unnecessary. Bit like going to the dentist. Could be a waste of time altogether. Why are you even asking the question? If you want to live in denial then no one is stopping you. Go polish the shiny bits instead. Then come onto KB somewhat later & bitch how the valves burned themselves & you think Suzuki should build better bikes that don't require service.

AllanB
9th July 2010, 15:44
I'd sell it and buy a Honda.

How expensive can it be - seriously it is two cylinders and eight valves - allowing for more time with seperate heads surely it can't be more than a IL4. On a USA 900 Hornet site I frequent there is a guy there who never checked his - pull the cover off at 70,000 miles (112,000 kms) finally for a look and all was fine! At the end of the day I'd consider it 'cheap' insurance and I'll pay the $ to have mine checked when the kms get there (not for a while yet with this shit weather!).

Ring around for a quote or two I think and check the web for owners groups as someone will have posted the Suzuki suggested time for the job.

bsasuper
9th July 2010, 17:20
Shouldnt be to expensive, easy access to the heads helps, I'm sure it wont be eye watering expensive as the 20 valve R1's

cowboyz
9th July 2010, 17:52
i say your up for $600-$1000 depending if any work needs to be done or not. New bikes are expensive huh?!

ynot slow
9th July 2010, 20:06
Was toldanywhere from 1.5-3hrs from 2 different bike shops,Suzuki said about $320-350 for mine,that was from their workshop manual.

TimeOut
9th July 2010, 22:07
$250 to have mine done, didn't need adjusting but aleast I can sleep at night.
Quite often the gap can tighten when bedding in so I think the first check is the most important.

bogan
9th July 2010, 22:31
did mine last weekend, bout 3 hours cos the rad and various piping had to be removed to get the tappet covers off. Exhausts were fine, but inlets had no gap at all :shit: Mind you i still haven't put it all back together cos I found some other bits that need doing.

If it hasn't been done yet I would say do it/get it done, maybe go along to a maintenance evening (thread on here somewhere) to get some help.

Metastable
10th July 2010, 14:07
If you do it yourself, it is very cheap.... as long as you don't do any mistakes. I've checked shim over bucket (GS500e) in the past and Bucket over Shim (ZX-6R). If it is shim over bucket it is relatively easy as long as you take detailed notes and take your time. If it is bucket over shim, it's considerably more work.

bluebird
10th July 2010, 20:42
It might be totally unnecessary. Bit like going to the dentist. Could be a waste of time altogether. Why are you even asking the question? If you want to live in denial then no one is stopping you. Go polish the shiny bits instead. Then come onto KB somewhat later & bitch how the valves burned themselves & you think Suzuki should build better bikes that don't require service.

What a bitchy reply, still raining in wellington love?

bluebird
10th July 2010, 20:42

What a bitchy reply, still raining in wellington love?

F5 Dave
10th July 2010, 20:54
no, bright blue skys from about 4. Thanks for asking. Twice even.

Flip
10th July 2010, 22:56
I would sell it and get a Harley.

Hydraulic lifters are neat things.

howdamnhard
10th July 2010, 23:08
Ask the motorcycle doctor for a quote.

Cayman911
11th July 2010, 00:01
ouch... mine is due at the first 3000km's. didnt think something so huge would be so early on.. worried now... my wallet is tight

ttmadness
19th July 2010, 19:13
no, bright blue skys from about 4. Thanks for asking. Twice even.

Having your period mate?

scumdog
19th July 2010, 19:20
I would sell it and get a Harley.

Hydraulic lifters are neat things.

Yeah, when I read the first post I thought "You have to adjust valves on a motorbike engine?"

F5 Dave
20th July 2010, 09:29
Having your period mate?
How many alias's have you got mr 16 posts?

Ferkletastic
20th July 2010, 10:22
I got my 16v I4's valves done recently, all exhaust valves were loose as and needed shims and it cost me about $200.00

Spectrum on Barry's Point Road, I can't recommend them enough, they've done work for us a few times and always been really good, thorough and reasonably priced.