PDA

View Full Version : Biker killed by BBQ fumes

Bob
9th July 2010, 00:32
A bike racer was killed as he slept by toxic fumes emanating from a portable barbeque.

David Swallow, 29, thought had put out the BBQ, before putting it in his van to keep warm as he slept, following a meeting at the Bob McIntyre Memorial Classic motorbike meeting on June 19. But the BBQ continued to emit Carbon Monoxide, poisoning Swallow as he slept.

Swallow’s father Bill, 59, found his son. Bill said: "It was quite a cold night and when we came back we felt that, even though it had gone out, the barbecue was still quite warm, so we decided to put it in David's van. We all sat in the van for a bit then I went to my van. We didn't feel queasy and didn't think anything of the barbecue. The next morning, I went to give him a shake and his teeth were clenched and he was struggling to breathe."

David, was rushed to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary where high levels of Carbon Monoxide was found in his blood and that he was severely brain damaged and would not be able to breathe independently.

p.dath
9th July 2010, 07:48
This is a sad story, and one that has happened so many times. I wonder if we need to start putting warning labels on portable gas equipment.

HappyGOriding
9th July 2010, 12:28
This is a sad story, and one that has happened so many times. I wonder if we need to start putting warning labels on portable gas equipment.

What!!! this isnt uncommon. Are there really that many morons out there. Oh well at least the guy gave me a laugh, fuckin moron:rofl:

wysper
9th July 2010, 12:30

I believe there is, about not using them in enclosed places, tents etc for this very reason.

Taz
9th July 2010, 12:39
He won't do that again.

Katman
9th July 2010, 14:39
It's funny how the death of a motorcyclist under circumstances of stupidity such as these can illicit a completely different response than is trundled out after a death from riding stupidity.

Mort
9th July 2010, 14:53
It's funny how the death of a motorcyclist under circumstances of stupidity such as these can illicit a completely different response than is trundled out after a death from riding stupidity.

You really are a sactimonious gobshite Katman. Change the record for fucks sake...

Katman
9th July 2010, 14:57
You really are a sactimonious fuckwit Katman. Change the record for fucks sake...

Your avatar is remarkably apt.

Mort
9th July 2010, 15:20
Your avatar is remarkably apt.

Oh really !!! What stunning piece of logic drew you to that conclusion ?

jahrasti
9th July 2010, 15:26
You really are a sactimonious gobshite Katman. Change the record for fucks sake...

I have to say that I actually agree with him on this point. Riding out of your limits and you crash= poor biker. Putting BBQ in van = stupid biker

Mort
9th July 2010, 15:51
Putting BBQ in van = stupid. Period.

Its got nothing to do with the persons chosen form of transport or his ability to ride a bike..... or Katman's endless and boring campaign to save all bikers from what he sees as their own stupidity.

Crasherfromwayback
9th July 2010, 15:54
What you fucking dickheads that are making fun of it all seem to have missed is that the poor guy THOUGHT he'd put it out.

Glad to see you think it's so funny.

I'll remember it when you make a mistake and get hurt or worse.

Mort
9th July 2010, 16:06
Its not funny at all..... its a tragic accident..... nor is it an excuse to promote ones own agenda at every opportunity.

slofox
9th July 2010, 16:44
What!!! this isnt uncommon. Are there really that many morons out there. Oh well at least the guy gave me a laugh, fuckin moron:rofl:

For some unknown reason, I don't find this particularly funny...dunno why not...

imdying
9th July 2010, 17:05
I remember a previous case with those kids in a car... the media said they were keeping warm... by heating their knives up with a billy burner. That was a funny but tragic accident... this is just tragic. And not in the Lady Gaga sort of way :no:

Crasherfromwayback
9th July 2010, 17:09

What part of it exactly do you find so funny? That the dead guy made a mistake that cost him him life...or the fact that he's actually dead?

The Stranger
9th July 2010, 18:21
So who read gas? I didn't.

It appears that the real fuck wits are the ones rattling on about the dangers of gas being well known.
For those too dim to think here's a handy link (http://news1.capitalbay.com/news/biker_killed_by_barbecue_fumes.html).

Mom
9th July 2010, 18:41

You obviously know the risks of using portable gas appliances in confined spaces, this poor bloke obviously did not. Glad you can laugh at the death of someone, I feel sorry for you. Moron was a good title to use.

_Shrek_
9th July 2010, 18:52

take a bow mate you have just made the biggest :tugger: of the week

blackdog
9th July 2010, 19:24
yup, pretty sure therewuz no 'gas' (as in LP) involved at all.

think disposable tinfoil roasting tray full of charcoal (hot embers producing CO).

Mom
9th July 2010, 19:30
I remember a previous case with those kids in a car... the media said they were keeping warm... by heating their knives up with a billy burner. That was a funny but tragic accident... this is just tragic. And not in the Lady Gaga sort of way :no:

There was a case up here too, where the family, had the kids in the back of the station wagon/ute or what have you. They stopped for gas (sorry, bad north american choice of words for petrol) at the local servo, checked on them and found them dead in the back :pinch: I can not even begin to imagine what that might feel like. I doubt anyone would be laughing though. Morons if they were.

HappyGOriding
9th July 2010, 21:16
Sorry guys didnt mean to offend anyone and its not the guys death that I found funny but it amazes me that in ths day and age and with all the safety instructions that come with any type of BBQ that anyone would think that that sort of thing was ok even if one did think it was out.
I really feel sorry for the father who found him in the morning

SMOKEU
9th July 2010, 22:07
Pics or it didn't happen.

SS90
9th July 2010, 22:37

My younger brother went to school with those guys, so that would make them about 32 if they where still alive, but I think it was about 10 years ago.

I knew of them, and, like you suggest, "heating knives on a gas burner to keep warm"...... Pffffft!

I don't want to make light of death, but I know these particular guys where real drop kicks, where as the guy in the latest story does not seem to be.

That is the biggest shame.

I notice though that the UK media jump on the "Biker" definition again.

Why not "Camper"?

Sensationalism at it's best aye!

Bob
10th July 2010, 00:35
To be fair, the media aren't jumping on "biker", the victim was a bike racer attending a weekend meeting (I thought I'd mentioned that in the original item, sorry if I didn't). Of course, it was putting it in his van that caused the tragedy, so biker or not, that could have happened to anyone who didn't realise the danger.

And to summarise other thoughts; nothing funny about dying of asphyxiation - and asking for photos of a person who dies of asphyxiation (a particularly nasty way to die I understand) is sick.

imdying
13th July 2010, 09:44
At least he would have died in his sleep as it were. RIP