PDA

View Full Version : Blood Run #7

Hanne
15th July 2010, 23:21
Yes, the time has rolled round once again.

What: Mass blood donation
When: Tuesday 27th July, 5-7pm
Where: Blood Centre, Great South Road (Behind Dilworth School)
Why: For the chocolate bikkies. For the bragging rights.
For the glow you will get inside for helping dying babies.
(AND because Vampires (http://www.nzblood.co.nz/default.asp?a=218&t=218&View=FullStory&newsID=46) are SEXY)

Enthrall the twilight fans with tales of your dangerous escapades and watch them swoon as you bare your fangs and your 'I donated' sticker...

We want to at least match the turn out from last time, which means WE NEED YOU!

PS Contact Stephen if you are a numpty and get lost, 021 268 5528
PPS Andrew, you will NOT be washing your hair this time.

The Pastor
16th July 2010, 10:24
keeen beans!

Taz
16th July 2010, 11:14
How long do you need to have between donations?

jono035
16th July 2010, 11:29
How long do you need to have between donations?

3 months for whole blood, 2 weeks for plasma or platelets. I'm pretty sure the SMC blood runs are whole blood.

Have fun guys, wish I could be joining you, but apparently I'm still likely to break out in mad cow disease any day now...

Edit: 2 weeks between plasma/platelet (Apheresis) donations.

Hanne
16th July 2010, 13:29
Yeah, as Jono said, this is a whole blood donation run.
A few of the guys are looking at doing platelets too, but not on the 27th.

We have four runs a year, two to coincide with the BRONZ blood runs and two of our own, because that is the maximum number of times a year most people can donate.

Be good to see a few new faces!

wysper
16th July 2010, 15:13
I donate in the Tron, but I will see if I can time it so I can join one of your runs.

Taz
16th July 2010, 15:35
Thanks. Only a month since I last bled so will skp this one.

The Pastor
19th July 2010, 16:11
just a thought on the blood runs, we should possibly look at donating on a different day as i think (and this should be checked out) that due to the large amount of people donating, and due to the fact that blood has a short shelf life we might be oversuppling the blood stocks.

This is based off an overheard comment for someone who wanted to donate after we did, and got turned away saying the blood would just get wasted.

R6_kid
19th July 2010, 16:29
I'll be there to give my 470ml worth.

jono035
19th July 2010, 17:45
just a thought on the blood runs, we should possibly look at donating on a different day as i think (and this should be checked out) that due to the large amount of people donating, and due to the fact that blood has a short shelf life we might be oversuppling the blood stocks.

This is based off an overheard comment for someone who wanted to donate after we did, and got turned away saying the blood would just get wasted.

The shelf life of red blood cells is listed as 6 weeks, so half a donation period. How many people are normally donating when you guys do it? The one time I tried to give blood there were probably 5-6 other people doing it at the same time during the day, so I'm guessing they probably get 50-60 people through in a day... I doubt the SMC makes THAT much of a difference to the stocks that they would turn away others... Can always ask the nurse when you're there...

The Pastor
19th July 2010, 17:58
The shelf life of red blood cells is listed as 6 weeks, so half a donation period. How many people are normally donating when you guys do it? The one time I tried to give blood there were probably 5-6 other people doing it at the same time during the day, so I'm guessing they probably get 50-60 people through in a day... I doubt the SMC makes THAT much of a difference to the stocks that they would turn away others... Can always ask the nurse when you're there...

its only when we have good numbers AND usillys have good numbers i think one time we turned up and there was over 30 of us

jono035
19th July 2010, 19:02
its only when we have good numbers AND usillys have good numbers i think one time we turned up and there was over 30 of us

Even 30 people is probably well less than the total they get through the door in a day... I guess maybe they have daily or weekly sub-quotas or something?

Just ask next time you go along, it might be that they generally have enough RBC donors but need more apheresis donors. Perhaps that might be a better way to even it out if needed?

motorbyclist
21st July 2010, 15:16

I have always wondered what effect (if any) we have on their blood stocks; I wouldn't be surprised if they would rather a more stable suppy

Hanne
21st July 2010, 23:45
A Vampire's Song:

Blood is yummy
Blood is sweet
Blood is what I love to eat

I'll lick your neck
and drain your veins
I'll suck away
Your aches and pains

But you need to come
And give 470ml
So I am fed
And don't have to kill

Rescue the maidens
Come save the kids
Humanely feed the vampires
In your midst

With a puppy dog face
And a tear in my eye
I'm begging you:
'Don't let me die!'

So come donate
And get coffee and tea
On 27 July
(The bikkies will be free)

Blood is yummy
Blood is sweet
Blood is what I love to eat!

PirateJafa
22nd July 2010, 02:46
Yeah, I'm in.

TOTO
23rd July 2010, 19:02
just got confirmation from NZ blood, I'll be there too :)

GOONR
23rd July 2010, 21:15
For the glow you will get inside for helping dying babies.

Being English I may break out with mad moo moo at any moment so can't donate, very frustrating.

I have one of those babies that would not be here now if it wasn't for donors, 2 open heart surgeries before she was 6 months old.

I'd just like so say a big thanks to everyone that can and does donate. :sunny:

jono035
23rd July 2010, 21:47
Being English I may break out with mad moo moo at any moment so can't donate, very frustrating.

I know the feeling, I've spent about 7 months total visiting family in the UK over about 20 years, no donating for me.

Very frustrating.

Squiggles
24th July 2010, 00:05
just got confirmation from NZ blood, I'll be there too :)

Bet i bleed faster :scooter:

PirateJafa
24th July 2010, 03:10

Sounds like a race then! :)

Squiggles
26th July 2010, 18:07
Tomorrow we Bleed.

Hanne
26th July 2010, 23:28
Oh boys, it's ooooooooon!

TOTO
27th July 2010, 07:36

I'll ask for a bigger needle than you :doctor:

Squiggles
27th July 2010, 16:25
B-minus 1 hour

PirateJafa
27th July 2010, 19:28
Hanne got disqualified for doping.

Jafa reclaims his much-deserved title as SMC donor champion.

Plus a free thermos-mug.

The Pastor
27th July 2010, 20:02
i also has a mug.

i think i won tho, i got the high score of 7.42

Hanne
28th July 2010, 17:56
Hanne got disqualified for doping.

Jafa reclaims his much-deserved title as SMC donor champion.

Plus a free thermos-mug.

1. You can't reclaim a title you never had before!
2. Lance Armstrong returned strong despite allegations of a similar nature
3. I got a thermos-mug, a full red bandage AND a squeezy toy! :bleh:

Also, CONGRATS to the first time donors and also to renegade! You guys get a special mention in the next newsletter for being totally awesomely brave and not fainting!

TOTO
30th July 2010, 00:40
check my facebook for some pictures :)

Gremlin
30th July 2010, 01:16
must thank you fellas for reminding me I needed to donate again. Hadn't donated since june 09! Did my 24th this evening.

TOTO
30th July 2010, 01:20
you should get a present for your next one

Gremlin
30th July 2010, 01:24
as the nurse said, see you in a year?

I think you mean a prize...

TOTO
30th July 2010, 01:33
you wha...

Gremlin
30th July 2010, 02:56
jaaaaaayssssssuuuuussss chriiiiiiisst, them pressure bandages work as good as I remember them. 1.5 hours after taking it off, I still have the red mark from the glue. :shit:

I remember when they first changed away from the full bandages. I cycled up to the blood centre from uni, looked at the puny patch and was extremely doubtful it would hold while cycling. Asked for a spare and spent the day constantly making sure it was stuck on properly...

... and I sure paid for it, that evening. I'm not one to cry, worked on building sites at the time when not at uni, even so, I had tears welling in my eyes when trying to take it off. :crybaby:

Todd, you changed your post, you said price, not present, so I corrected your atrocious spelling :p