PDA

View Full Version : Stripped gear lever - to weld or not to weld?

nothingflash
20th July 2010, 20:17
My gear lever has started to slip on the shaft. Got it off tonight and the spline on the shaft seems ok but the spline in the block is knackered.

Has anyone had any experiences good (it worked) or bad (I hate to think) after tack welding the lever to the shaft?

one fast tl1ooo
20th July 2010, 20:20
Go and buy a new gear lever..

nothingflash
20th July 2010, 20:25
Silly question in hindsight I guess. I have been wondering (until i pulled the lever off tonight) what the pros and cons are for welding - say if the spline on the shaft was rooted. I guess that's the angle of my question...

bogan
20th July 2010, 20:25
not to weld, makes it and arsehole of a job to adjust for the next guy, who rather than adjust will just live with it, possibly causing an RSI injury and crippling his left foot, leaving him unable to ride or walk normally ever again. Can you live with that on your conscience?

schrodingers cat
20th July 2010, 20:37
Scotch key!

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=29437

If you use a grub screw as the 'key' it is easy to get apart. Even on a small shaft like a gearshift shaft you'd get 3 shots...

Crasherfromwayback
20th July 2010, 20:57
You can saw the gap in the lever for now, so you can get a slightly better clamping force round the shaft.

Ocean1
20th July 2010, 21:07
You can saw the gap in the lever for now, so you can get a slightly better clamping force round the shaft.

And smear a bit of valve grinding paste around the spline when you stick it on, helps it grip.

But don't rely on it for long eh? Or you'll be up for a new shaft too.

nothingflash
20th July 2010, 21:37
Thanks guys. I like the idea of the scotch plug - someone else had suggested it as well... Off to the fabricator on Saturday I think!

F5 Dave
21st July 2010, 18:00
g'owrn, weld it, - ok it makes it unserviceable for the next chap but who cares about him huh?

hmm, seems to have melted the seal & it is leaking oil like an undersea BP well. . . . Now how do we get this off. . . :shutup:

Karma can be a bitch.
I've had to grind off other people's 'fixes' in the past. Grrr,

Motu
21st July 2010, 18:26
Weld it - it's easy enough to grind it off later if you want to replace the shaft.Although on bikes that you stoop to welding on the lever,doing the job properly in the long run is not part of the plan.Done it heaps,never regretted it.

schrodingers cat
21st July 2010, 18:47
Thanks guys. I like the idea of the scotch plug - someone else had suggested it as well... Off to the fabricator on Saturday I think!

As the Placemakers ad says - "C'mon mate, do it yerself"

Install the lever, use a 4 or 5 mm drill to drill in - it actually doesn't matter if it runs off a bit as you're not actually transmitting that much force through it then hammer the right sized pin in

nothingflash
21st July 2010, 20:16
Thanks again everyone...!

rok-the-boat
31st July 2010, 21:20
New ones are cheap - get a new one.