PDA

View Full Version : Nail-painting driver kills biker gets 18 months of nights in jail - free during day

DangerMice
28th July 2010, 12:30
Did a quick search and didn't see this anywhere yet

Woman whose nail painting caused fatal crash gets 18 months

July 22, 2010 10:45 PM | 62 Comments | UPDATED STORY

Lora Hunt, the woman found guilty of reckless homicide for crashing into a motorcyclist while painting her nails, asked her family to give her grandchildren hugs, told them to write and reminded her husband to feed the dog before being led off to begin serving 18 months in prison.

According to the sentence imposed by Lake County Judge Fred Foreman, the 49-year-old Morris woman will spend her nights in jail, but will be allowed to leave during the day for work, counseling and community service. Foreman's sentence includes 240 hours of community service and 30 months of probation.

"If we can get the message out about this tragedy maybe something positive can come out of this terrible tragedy," Foreman said.

A jury found Hunt guilty on May 6 of causing Zaffke's death when Hunt's car rear-ended struck from behind as she sat on her motorcycle at a red light near Lake Zurich on May 2, 2009.

"I think Judge Foreman was cognizant that a statement had to be made," said Greg Zaffke II, the son of the victim, Anita Zaffke of Lake Zurich.

In an emotional victim's impact statement before the sentencing, Greg Zaffke II said that even if the maximum sentence of five years were imposed, Hunt, would likely have many free years left to spend with her family, something his mother, who was 56 when she died, will never get.

"Lora Hunt took that time away from my mom and our family," he said.

In tears, Greg Zaffke II spoke of his marriage to Heidi Bennett on July 16, 2010.

"At the same time I had to try to write about the loss of my mother, I was also writing my marriage vows," he said. "She wasn't sitting in the chair we set up for her at the ceremony. That day, no tears of happiness would fall on my shoulder as she hugged me and my wife, Heidi."

In his victim's impact statement, Anita Zaffke's husband of over 35 years, Greg Zaffke, said that since his wife's death he feels like he has "remained in a fluctuating emotional fog or haze."

"I live every day thinking about how Anita had her life taken away from us due to someone's vanity and recklessness," he said in tears. "I miss Anita with everything in my soul."

Hunt sobbed audible tears and put her head in her hands at times during Greg Zaffke II's statement. She continued to cry often throughout the 3 ½ hours of testimony, which included eight character witnesses on her behalf.

Hunt's father, therapist, minster, friend, brother, son, daughter and husband all spoke about her character, calling her compassionate, caring and honest.

Mark Hunt, Lora Hunt's husband of 33 ½ years, said his wife was happy and joyful before the crash.

"She was the kind of person who let you know that it was OK to dance in the kitchen," he said. "No one ever left our house without a smile."

Since the accident, Lora Hunt has been depressed, deeply remorseful and at times suicidal, he said.

"Every day she relives that day," Mark Hunt said. "She cries sometimes two, three, or four times a day."

After the character witness testimonies were complete, prosecutor Mike Mermel asked Foreman to impose the maximum sentence of five years.

"Because the defendant wanted pretty nails, Anita Zaffke had to die," he said. "She had literally turned two tons of glass and steel into a guided missile, and Anita Zaffke was her target."

Hunt's attorney Jeff Tomczak argued that she should receive probation because she is a good person who was deeply remorseful about the crash.

Before Foreman reached his sentence, Lora Hunt had an opportunity to read a statement.

"I want the family (of Anita Zaffke) to know I am deeply sorry for my actions on May 2, 2009," she said. "I wish I could embrace Anita's family and tell them how sorry I am."

After the sentencing, Greg Zaffke II said he was not ready for such an interaction with Hunt.

"I've got family that's there to do that," he said. "My problem is that I can't hug my mom."

-- Ruth Fuller

link (http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/07/woman-who-did-nails-and-caused-fatal-crash-gets-18-months-in-jail.html)

miloking
29th July 2010, 01:19
Very sad, lesson here is that lane splitting and sitting between cars at the lights is the safer option...

cold comfort
29th July 2010, 12:22
From memory I recall a rubbish truck driver, in Arizona earlier this year possibly drugged, ploughing through a group of 8 bikers stopped at at red light, killing 3 outright and critically injury the other 6? Pay s to be very wary of whats coming up behind

Grasshopperus
29th July 2010, 16:51
"I live every day thinking about how Anita had her life taken away from us due to someone's vanity and recklessness," he said in tears. "I miss Anita with everything in my soul."

"Because the defendant wanted pretty nails, Anita Zaffke had to die,"

That's the saddest thing I've heard in a long time. Poor beggar.

PrincessBandit
29th July 2010, 19:33
Pay s to be very wary of whats coming up behind

Very true. Just been being reminded at SASS about vigilance while sitting at lights and how positioning is important in case the need to get out the way of someone behind you. All too often I've sat idly at lights without really thinking about some idiot failing to stop in time and invading my space. Just on the weekend my son had an Asian woman bump into the back of him while stationary at lights up Titirangi way. Have since had a word with him too about watching mirrors while not moving, especially at intersections.