PDA

View Full Version : UK Call for compulsory helmet wear for quad bike riders

Bob
4th August 2010, 00:14
UK: The College of Emergency Medicine has called a change in the law, to make it compulsory riders of road-legal quad bikes to wear helmets.

Dr John Heyworth, president of the College said : "We know that the riders on these quad bikes are at real risk of serious injury and even death because they are seriously unprotected. We know from experience that head injuries are the biggest killer in these sorts of accidents.”

Road Safety Minister Mike Penning said there were no plans to make helmets compulsory, but added that he would keep the matter under review.

george formby
4th August 2010, 10:37
When I was home a few years ago enjoying a pub lunch outside in the sunshine (a novelty!) I was astonished to see a guy ride past on a racing quad, fully registered. A few wheelies & donuts later he buggered off. No helmet or any protective clothing whatsoever. Later I saw him on a roundabout, drifting & then popping it up onto 2 wheels.:shit:
I was :gob:, Britain is even more of a nanny state than here so how quads became road legal with no helmet laws is beyond me.

ukusa
20th August 2010, 10:48
When I was home a few years ago enjoying a pub lunch outside in the sunshine (a novelty!) I was astonished to see a guy ride past on a racing quad, fully registered. A few wheelies & donuts later he buggered off. No helmet or any protective clothing whatsoever. Later I saw him on a roundabout, drifting & then popping it up onto 2 wheels.:shit:
I was :gob:, Britain is even more of a nanny state than here so how quads became road legal with no helmet laws is beyond me.

I was in France early last year, and when driving south out of Nice on the motorway, here's a farm quad towing a small trailer heading south also in one of the 3 lanes. Can't recall if he had a helmet on or not, but he was probably doing around 40 mph.