PDA

View Full Version : XR400R slipping clutch

jimmy07
5th August 2010, 19:24
Gidday all,

This is my first post here :)

Long story short...I'm a kiwi living in Nepal, got a XR400 and the clutch is slipping, I'm heading home in a week and would like to buy everything needed to change the pads, springs etc. INCLUDING the tools. And no I cant get it done at the mechanics here, they're S%@T at doing even the minor jobs.

It's hard to find any place online, and why would any mechanic need to have a website, so thought I'd give here a go.. I'm hoping to get something that'l do the job without having to sell any organs to pay for it.

Any help you have to offer would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Jim

2 wheeled worx
8th August 2010, 17:10
where abouts will you be coming to in new zealand i may be able to help if you coming to christchurch what are details of the bike may have workshop manual for you to do it

tri boy
8th August 2010, 19:53
Clutch cover gskt.
Set fibre plates. 4X Springs.
Clutch hub nut lock washer.
Loctite for pressure plate 6mm bolts.
Hub nut tool, (or at a pinch you can "tap" the nut loose with screwdriver/pin punch.
Small bit of wood to jam between crank pinnion gear, and clutch drive gear.
Clutch inner hub lock out tool.
Clymer manual if your not sure how to do it.
New cable if you think it is required. MHO

pete376403
8th August 2010, 20:43
Are these a conventional multiplate clutch? If just doing plates and springs, do you need to remove the inner hub and outer basket? Cos if you dont need to remove those, the job is a whole lot easier. Start by draining the oil, or, put the bike on its side. Remove the side cover, if there is an actuator in there, note how it is assembled.
Remove the screws holding the springs, remove the outer cover. remove the inner and outer plates, note the order of assembly. Put the new plates in. It helps to put a bit of oil on the plates as you put them in. Put on the outer cover, drop in the springs and put in the screws, Use loctite, don't overtighten. Fit the cover with a new gasket, assemble the actuator correctly. You could probably do this on the side of the road, 30 - 40 minutes easy.

I'd imagine youre looking at a kit similar to this
http://www.amazon.com/DPK-CLUTCH-HONDA-XR400-96-04/dp/B001OAN6R4

jimmy07
9th August 2010, 04:07
Thanks all for your help so far,

where abouts will you be coming to in new zealand i may be able to help if you coming to christchurch what are details of the bike may have workshop manual for you to do it

unfortunately I'll only be passing through on my way to Qtown, if I can figure out how, I'll PM you. I have found and bought the manual online which has helped some :)

tri boy and pete376403,

Thanks for your input. From what I have just read in the manual it also suggests just the removal of the cover plate, exchange the plates and springs and put it all back together. This being the case, would it be correct to assume just the correct sized socket to remove the cover will do the trick?..
I have found one website (http://www.bits4bikes.co.nz/parts/honda/637.aspx) selling the parts but no mention is given for a replacement O ring for the cover?

..went for a ride up a few hills nearby, ended up about 6500ft with a wonderful view of the Himalayas. One of the good things about living/working here :)

Cheers

tri boy
9th August 2010, 06:49
Sorry bout the hub nut removal suggestion. It doesn't need to be done. Scratch the lock tab,hub nut tool. I must be getting senile:crazy:

pete376403
9th August 2010, 20:18
clutch parts diagram (97 model; do they change much?)
http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-xr400r-97-us_model7767/partslist/E++07.html

covers
http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-xr400r-97-us_model7767/partslist/E++06.html

You'd probably get away with reusing the O ring (cover gasket). Clean all the crap off it and use a little smear of RTV

pete376403
9th August 2010, 20:22
..went for a ride up a few hills nearby, ended up about 6500ft with a wonderful view of the Himalayas. One of the good things about living/working here :)

Cheers
Does the altitude affect the motor at all?

and post some pics of the trails you ride. Thanks

2 wheeled worx
9th August 2010, 20:32
drain oil may need to sneak rear brake arm out of the way remove clutch cover about 8 8mm bolts should have oring maby gasket can reuse if in ok condition remove 5 10mm bolts which holds the pressure plate on remove steels and fibres. also give the basket a good check for any damage on the fingers fit a new set of fibers and steels if they are damaged bath new fibres in oil when reassembling with steels fitted inbetween each friction plate refit pressure plate i would replace clutch springs as these can lose there strenght over time refit the 5 10mm clutch spring bolts i dont like to locktight these as sometimes you can break the pedistools the bolts wind into if any future work is required refit cover with a small coating of gasket sealant and refill bike with oil reset all cable adjustments as needed, last but not least ride

jimmy07
11th August 2010, 07:21
I've managed to track doen just that one website which has the Clutch set.. Link (http://www.bits4bikes.co.nz/parts/honda/637.aspx)
but I cant find anywhere that has the O-ring/Gasket.. I'm hoping I'll find some luck through 2 wheeled worx. After hearing your responses and going through the manual I got online, it seems alot simpler than I first thought. Fingers crossed it stays simple :)

Does the altitude affect the motor at all?

and post some pics of the trails you ride. Thanks

at lower RPM it does yes, a bit too much fuel and not quite enough air getting through the carb. Noticable but alot less compared to the 100cc ring-dingers riding up there. I know there's some adjusting you can do to the carb to compensate for the altitude and temperatures (up to 45degrees around here) but I'm not gana tweak that one just yet...

Pics will come for sure, once I get back :) Cheers!