PDA

View Full Version : Honda CX 400 Custom starting issues

nathan.read
8th August 2010, 19:30
Hi

I have recently bought this bike, and got it started, took it for a ride, everything good, started again the following date etc.

This weekend I went to fix the choke cable but cannot get the end of next to the carbs, its right between them and directly below the frame, so gave up on that and put the tank and seat back on. Any tips?

Initially I put the vacuum hose to the fuel tap on the vent nipple and vacuum hose on the other nipple, flattened the battery before I realised my mistake.

While charging the battey did some google searching and put the hoses on the right nipples, now cranks and fuel flows, but still wont start.

Any ideas?

tri boy
8th August 2010, 19:38
Disconnect the cable at the choke actuator near the handlebars. The slack will help with the removal of the carb end nipple. It's fiddly, but quite acheivable.

nathan.read
8th August 2010, 20:22
Thanks for the reply

My problem is the end at the handle bars is broken, I have a new end to solder on but the is no wire coming out of the cable, the choke is open and there is a 'bow' in the choke wire at tehcarb end, just cant get to the bolt holding the cable outer

FJRider
8th August 2010, 20:52
Fit a NEW cable .... the problems you stop before you "fix" (and fit) the old one .... WILL be worth the expense ...

nathan.read
9th August 2010, 07:08
Thanks for your reply

Back ot my initial plan, new choke cable, now how do I take the old one off, out a new one on, I cannot reach the bolt that secures the cable to the carbs.

I see my options as either

1. Remove the carbs, but how???

2. Get it to a bike shop and pay them to do it, in whihc case it would be nice to get it started so I can ride it there rather than have to hire a trailer etc. Before I took the tank of it was starting, mind you I was starting the bike every day, with removing teh tank etc it was a couple of days since I started the bike.