PDA

View Full Version : Norton sets world land speed record

Bob
4th September 2010, 00:10
The relaunched Norton company has set a new world record.

The midlands based 961 Commando recorded an average top speed of 129.61mph at Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah, taking the record for the 1000cc Production Push-rod class away from last year’s record holder, a Buell that recorded 126.39mph.

The Commando was ridden by Alan Cathcart, who had to complete two runs from which the average speed was drawn. Cathcart said "It's nice to put Norton back in the record books for the first time in so many years. The fact that we did it on a stock bike exactly as delivered to any Norton customer makes it all the sweeter."

eelracing
4th September 2010, 05:26
Excellent news...Norton back where it belongs.

YellowDog
4th September 2010, 06:20
It's a far to good looking bike to be punnishing like that!

http://www.bestmotorcyclepictures.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/2009-norton-961commando-back.jpg

Genie
4th September 2010, 07:53
It's a far to good looking bike to be punnishing like that!

http://www.bestmotorcyclepictures.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/2009-norton-961commando-back.jpg

linky didn't work for me....

DEATH_INC.
4th September 2010, 11:24
It's a bloody cool looking bike.

bogan
4th September 2010, 11:26
:lol: pushrods and ohlins, technology of champions :shifty:

Genie
4th September 2010, 11:45
It's a bloody cool looking bike.

You are not wrong..sure is a meaty bike with plenty of spunk!
I'd ride it....wouldn't mind owning it either.

scumdog
4th September 2010, 12:01
Now THAT is one cool looking bike!:yes:

AllanB
4th September 2010, 12:16
Norton.

I remember them. They used to make motorcycles decades ago. :shifty:

Motu
4th September 2010, 17:50
I thought Rollie Free did 150mph on a Vincent back in the '40's.He did take a few parts off....and took a few clothes off himself too,but it was a standard production bike.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollie_Free

Voltaire
4th September 2010, 18:18
Pushrods.....bloody hell...Norton had OHC back in 1929...the cricket bat CS1.
...i wonder who set the fastest time with a side valve engine....:innocent:

Rogue Rider
4th September 2010, 18:23
That is one sick looking machine, I love it, and it is without question one of the coolest bikes, style and heritage wise.
Norton is a brand synonymous with awesome style and prestige. A revolution in it own right. Please please please may I have one....... You Tubed it, and there is a cool slide of one with pipes glowing red/ orange...... Sexy as. dreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwl:third ::third::third::third::third::third::third::third: :chase::chase::chase::chase::chase::chase::chase:: chase::chase::chase::chase::chase::niceone:

Edbear
4th September 2010, 18:26
You are not wrong..sure is a meaty bike with plenty of spunk!
I'd ride it....wouldn't mind owning it either.

Now THAT is one cool looking bike!:yes:

Wot they sed! :yes:

BMWST?
4th September 2010, 21:26
is there a nz dealer?

yod
4th September 2010, 22:39
is there a nz dealer?

their site doesn't list a dealer in Australia or NZ unfortunately

personally I'd prefer 4 v/cyl, fuel injection and a full floater, but it's still a great looking nekkid:niceone:

BMWST?
4th September 2010, 22:50
their site doesn't list a dealer in Australia or NZ unfortunately

personally I'd prefer 4 v/cyl, fuel injection and a full floater, but it's still a great looking nekkid:niceone:

sure is an impressive lookin beast!

gatch
5th September 2010, 21:39
:lol: pushrods and ohlins, technology of champions :shifty:

Got paradox ?

bogan
5th September 2010, 21:50
Got paradox ?

just a tad, now if it was gear driven cams with pneumatic valve springs it'd be much more fitting :yes:

have I ever mentioned how much I want to build engines with way OTT tech.....

eelracing
6th September 2010, 03:00
I thought Rollie Free did 150mph on a Vincent back in the '40's.He did take a few parts off....and took a few clothes off himself too,but it was a standard production bike.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollie_Free

Maybe if Norton took 100 pounds off and added 25hp (hardly prod std)and Cathcart stripped down to his jocks...:shutup:second thoughts Cathcart is rather porky these days and in his speedo's would not be a sight i'd like to see on a Norton.

Cant wait to see the modern performance bike in 2012.(let alone the rotary race bike)

Big Dave
6th September 2010, 18:17
It's filed under 'records for machines that wouldn't get any records if we didn't make a special category for them'.

Edbear
6th September 2010, 18:24
It's filed under 'records for machines that wouldn't get any records if we didn't make a special category for them'.

All machines are special, just some are more special than others... :yes:

Motu
6th September 2010, 19:52
Rollie Free's record was under naked bike,naked rider.....I think he is the only person to set that record.

Voltaire
7th September 2010, 07:46
Rollie Free's record was under naked bike,naked rider.....I think he is the only person to set that record.

marilyn monroe would have improved their flagging sales....:innocent: