PDA

View Full Version : Winston Churchill’s motorbike dispatch rider honoured

Bob
8th September 2010, 00:01
The soldier who acted as Winston Churchill's dispatch rider in World War II has been awarded a special medal for his military career

Jimmy Wilde, 89, from Shillingstone, Dorset was awarded the The Royal Signals Institution Medal for Excellence. Mr Wilde delivered the VE Day message – when the Allies accepted Germany’s surrender – from Mr Churchill to King George VI.

Mr Wilde said "I was just doing my job, but I knew what the message was, more or less. The King always got the message before it was broadcast. You got the message, you sat down (on the bike) and away you went with it."

Brownbikerbabe
8th September 2010, 15:01
The soldier who acted as Winston Churchill's dispatch rider in World War II has been awarded a special medal for his military career

Jimmy Wilde, 89, from Shillingstone, Dorset was awarded the The Royal Signals Institution Medal for Excellence. Mr Wilde delivered the VE Day message – when the Allies accepted Germany’s surrender – from Mr Churchill to King George VI.

Mr Wilde said "I was just doing my job, but I knew what the message was, more or less. The King always got the message before it was broadcast. You got the message, you sat down (on the bike) and away you went with it."

Great!!! Mr Churchill is one of my favourite heros! I love to hear him speak!...Glad the dispatch was honoured!

jack_hamma
9th September 2010, 14:58
Orsum... ehh Awesome! :yes:

avgas
9th September 2010, 16:12
Great!!! Mr Churchill is one of my favourite heros! I love to hear him speak!...Glad the dispatch was honoured!
Shhhhhh we are a bit touchy about him using us a human sheilds

Brownbikerbabe
11th September 2010, 11:17
Shhhhhh we are a bit touchy about him using us a human sheilds

Why?

If he hadn't we'd all be speaking german, well those that were worthy enough to be considered the ideal human specimen anyway...the rest of us would be nazi fertilizer. Especially someone like me! So personally I am greatful that men like Winston Churchill stood up to fight against an evil such as Hitler and didn't end up joining the winningest team like that coward Moussalini did.

Well, that's my two cents.

Rcktfsh
11th September 2010, 11:39
I find it hard to feel overly sentimental over Churchill at the end of the day his concern was Englands welfare not NZ. Lets not forget he was responsible for the farce and butchery that was Galipolli in WW1 & confirmed his valuation of Kiwi lives in WW2 when he went ballistic at Montgomery for relieving the NZ division from the front line at Alamein after they had led the Allied attack for the first few days and needed resting. The danger to NZ in WW2 was from Japan not Germany, Aussie had the balls to tell Churchill they needed substantial amounts of their troops in the Pacific to defend Australia fortunately they and America fought the war that should have been our main concern.

Ronin
11th September 2010, 11:57
Why?

If he hadn't we'd all be speaking german, well those that were worthy enough to be considered the ideal human specimen anyway...the rest of us would be nazi fertilizer. Especially someone like me! So personally I am greatful that men like Winston Churchill stood up to fight against an evil such as Hitler and didn't end up joining the winningest team like that coward Moussalini did.

Well, that's my two cents.

Churchill was a very effective leader. He was however rather lacking in the morals and ethics department.

Ocean1
11th September 2010, 12:44
What sort of a report is that?

Where's the oposition analisys, the track conditions?

What sports drink did he endorse? What tyre/oil/chain contracts did he have?

The technical run-down would make for bloody interesting reading; how did he manage without Japanese equipment and most of Europe batting for the other team, the overwhelming disadvantage that was the BSA M20, Amal, Lucas *Shudder*

What a man, Christ the media rights alone must be worth a fortune...

ellipsis
11th September 2010, 13:21
....thank god the right aristocratic,political animal like him was about at the right time...an effective and inspirational leader...apart from the fact that he was an arsehole ....blue blooded,arrogant and full of wit ...still an arsehole.....thank god for Winny....

Kickaha
11th September 2010, 13:52
What sort of a report is that?

Where's the oposition analisys, the track conditions?

What sports drink did he endorse? What tyre/oil/chain contracts did he have?

Did he wave?

Brownbikerbabe
12th September 2010, 01:28
..... He was however rather lacking in the morals and ethics department.

I work in a hospital I see that in people who let their family members suffer and can't let them die, so they would rather let them rot in a bed literally...that is a lack or morals and ethics!!! I see it EVERY DAY!!!

FJRider
12th September 2010, 08:29
Churchill was a very effective leader. He was however rather lacking in the morals and ethics department.

Wartime leaders who adhere to morals and ethic's ... seldom win wars.

When their country is under attack ... with a serious risk of being invaded. Morals and ethics go by the board ...

Woodman
12th September 2010, 08:47
We won didn't we? It was a world war, morals and ethics take second place to winning. IMHO

rustyrobot
12th September 2010, 08:50
morals and ethics take second place to winning. IMHO

I know this is a bit naive, but I still vainly cling to the idea that morals and ethics were why we were fighting in the first place.

Woodman
12th September 2010, 08:59
I know this is a bit naive, but I still vainly cling to the idea that morals and ethics were why we were fighting in the first place.

Correct, but once it got under way the rules changed. There was some pretty nasty stuff done by both sides. Bombing innocents etc. But we won.

Happy for the dispatch rider, i suppose in a blackout his lucas electrics would have been perfect for the job.

NordieBoy
17th September 2010, 17:19
Got Winnie's signature on a bit of paper from 1919 here.