PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha TT350 - Starting problems

no_8wire
13th September 2010, 17:00
I am having a bit of a problem trying to restart my TT350. I can start it by jump starting/roll starting it most of the time, however the kickstart doesnt make the bike fire up.

The bike turns over well with the kickstart, and seems to have spark when held against the head and kicked.

But despite a new plug and checking its getting fuel - it doesnt want to start.
Could it be the decomp valve needing adjusting?

F5 Dave
14th September 2010, 15:28
Restart? So does it ever fire off the kicker?

Have you checked the (esp inlet) valve clearance? Airfilter?

Or perhaps the carb is worn particularly needle jet or float. A mate had one & it always seemed to start ok, . .. well except when hot & dropped, but that goes with the territory.

no_8wire
14th September 2010, 21:54
Havent checked the valve clearances as of yet.

I have recently replaced the airfilter and reoiled it, so it should not be causing the issue. Also replaced carb inlet boots as old ones were split.

After having it jump started you can normally restart it by kicking, takes a few tries but will get there.

F5 Dave
15th September 2010, 09:26
Replaced airfilter with a proper one & reoiled it with filter oil? Just asking, I made a bike run like poos by 'improvising' in my younger years. Shouldn't hurt starting thou. Clearances should be easy to check on an old thumper, been a while since I eyeballed a TT, but memory says they have covers. Google/Download a manual of something similar & give them a check.

no_8wire
15th September 2010, 12:02
My rangi days are past me now (for the most part anyway). Replaced with proper airfilter and reoiled with filter oil. Will give clearances a look in the weekend, the Clymer manual should cover it. Will post back results once complete. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

no_8wire
16th September 2010, 13:27
deleted....

Grumph
16th September 2010, 19:27
The TT350 used to have a rep for dropping valve seat inserts..

Diffcult hot starting could point in the direction of loose inserts

Try a compression test cold vs hot.