PDA

View Full Version : VTR1000 leaking coolant

stormy1
18th September 2010, 17:54
My VTR has been leaking coolant off and on for a while now but is getting worse. It has been sitting unsused for about a month and yet when I came out the other day there was a trail of coolant across the ground. I have taken the fairings off and it is running down from somewere around/under the overflow tank area. It is hard to see into that area to see if it is coming from the tank itself, or just in the vicinity. Has anyone experienced a similar problem or has any advise?

Cheers
Dale

crystalball
18th September 2010, 18:08
Hey bud i aint had the problem but year common on some vtr google it heaps on it, but somethin to do with replacing the seal near the coolant tube or housing, but sounds easy to do.

stormy1
18th September 2010, 18:12
Hey bud i aint had the problem but year common on some vtr google it heaps on it, but somethin to do with replacing the seal near the coolant tube or housing, but sounds easy to do.

Will do ... thanks

Guided_monkey
21st September 2010, 22:29
Check the VTR1000.org or the Superhawkforum.com websites for info on this problem.

It seems that the seals can give out.

stormy1
22nd September 2010, 18:15
Check the VTR1000.org or the Superhawkforum.com websites for info on this problem.

It seems that the seals can give out.

Thanks for the advise.

I have checked the forums and posted my issue on there as well. It is not leaking from the waterpump so is not the mechanical seal problem. From the advsie received on the Superhawk Forum, it would appear that I will need to take the tank and air cleaner off, loosen the carbies and check all of the water hoses in this general area which makes sense when I try to follow where the water may be coming from. Will be out of town this weekend so will have to wait another week. I will post my findings so that it may be of help to someone else in the future. I may pull the carbs off as I have a problen when doing track days as under hard braking and dropping into a LH corner it can drop a cylinder.

Cheers
Dale

stify
22nd September 2010, 19:09
Thanks for the advise.

I have checked the forums and posted my issue on there as well. It is not leaking from the waterpump so is not the mechanical seal problem. From the advsie received on the Superhawk Forum, it would appear that I will need to take the tank and air cleaner off, loosen the carbies and check all of the water hoses in this general area which makes sense when I try to follow where the water may be coming from. Will be out of town this weekend so will have to wait another week. I will post my findings so that it may be of help to someone else in the future. I may pull the carbs off as I have a problen when doing track days as under hard braking and dropping into a LH corner it can drop a cylinder.

Cheers
Dale

I looked at one(vtr1000) the other day that was leaking coolant, turned out to be the hose clips needed a nip up, my cbr1000rr had a similar issue with leaks awhile back and all it needed was the hose clips nipped up too, I pulled all the affected hoses off to inspect their condition to ensure it wasn't a build up on the ali housings causing the hose's to swell and start leaking but all was well...try that first

stormy1
22nd September 2010, 19:22
I looked at one(vtr1000) the other day that was leaking coolant, turned out to be the hose clips needed a nip up, my cbr1000rr had a similar issue with leaks awhile back and all it needed was the hose clips nipped up too, I pulled all the affected hoses off to inspect their condition to ensure it wasn't a build up on the ali housings causing the hose's to swell and start leaking but all was well...try that first

The biggest problem with the VTR is that it is nigh impossible to get to the hoses from the side of the bike, will have another look but it may well be that you need to work from the top to get to the hose clips etc. Will check tho.

hayd3n
22nd September 2010, 19:37
Thanks for the advise.
. I may pull the carbs off as I have a problen when doing track days as under hard braking and dropping into a LH corner it can drop a cylinder.

Cheers
Dale

i believe that's a common issue too or quirk

stify
22nd September 2010, 19:45
The biggest problem with the VTR is that it is nigh impossible to get to the hoses from the side of the bike, will have another look but it may well be that you need to work from the top to get to the hose clips etc. Will check tho.

if you have a small mirror and a suitable light it will make the search a little easier

stormy1
22nd September 2010, 20:09
if you have a small mirror and a suitable light it will make the search a little easier

Good thinking .. will try that!

And re the reply from hay3dn about dropping one cylinder, thought I was the only one having that problem, guess I can feel a bit better :laugh:

Use the Daytona for track days now but I dont like to leave problems unsolved!

porky
22nd September 2010, 20:31
I can only speak on the X but 02 to about 04 had issues with the caps, maybe worth a look. If the R is configured the same as the X the tank has to be tilted forward, or you need triple jointed fingers to get to it.

Supertwin Don
4th October 2010, 16:45
You do realise that they can run without coolant or radiators at all - mind you , I haven't run mine for more than about a mile (1.6km) at a time !!! :innocent: