PDA

View Full Version : USA: 'Drunk' Cop ploughs into 4 motorcyclists

Genestho
23rd September 2010, 13:49
Sent this background story by a friend in the States...
http://www.indystar.com/article/99999999/news06/100813056

"Based on the blood test, Bisard was charged with multiple felony counts of DUI and DUI resulting in a death. He was roundly condemned and faced significant prison time.

But then the charges were suddenly dropped. Prosecutors had learned that the lab tech who drew Bisard's blood sample was not certified under Indiana's DUI laws to do such work for a criminal case. Therefore the test results would almost certainly be inadmissible in court."

"Eric Well's parents believe Indianapolis Metro Police investigators at the crash scene knew the officer who hit and killed Eric was intoxicated and took him to a clinic instead of Wishard Hospital."

An interview with the parents of Eric Wells, the deceased rider.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLDC4Rz-EMM&feature=player_embedded

nudemetalz ltd
23rd September 2010, 15:25
Un "effing" believable !!!! :angry2::angry2:

Gibbo89
23rd September 2010, 15:41
"But those chargers were later dropped because the blood test had been mishandled and no other evidence supported the DUI charge."

umm... What the fuck?

st00ji
24th September 2010, 12:42
he still killed someone though right - drunk or no

just read more, he is facing other charges - though the worst one has been dropped, which was operating a vehicle with a blood alcohol level over 0.15 (the limit is 0.08 in his state) causing death. 6-20 years and 10k fine

sounds like his superiors have reacted reasonably acceptably, changes of protcol and jobs lost

talk about your technicalities though, it wasnt even the guy doing the actual testing - just the guy who drew the blood.

scumdog
24th September 2010, 13:01
"But those chargers were later dropped because the blood test had been mishandled and no other evidence supported the DUI charge."

umm... What the fuck?

Has happened in NZ....

Genestho
24th September 2010, 15:41
he still killed someone though right - drunk or no

just read more, he is facing other charges - though the worst one has been dropped, which was operating a vehicle with a blood alcohol level over 0.15 (the limit is 0.08 in his state) causing death. 6-20 years and 10k fine

sounds like his superiors have reacted reasonably acceptably, changes of protcol and jobs lost

talk about your technicalities though, it wasnt even the guy doing the actual testing - just the guy who drew the blood.
I think the concern on this one is that the officer was enabled to get off those particular charges by encouraging initial incorrect procedure that led to the technicality.... and of course these may be the officers that lost jobs.
Pretty raw time for the families.

Has happened in NZ....
Happens all the time eh - lawyers boast in advertising that they can get drivers off charges on procedural technicalities, and they do!

EJK
24th September 2010, 16:02
Wow that's sorrow.

scumdog
24th September 2010, 16:09
Happens all the time eh - lawyers boast in advertising that they can get drivers off charges on procedural technicalities, and they do!

I guess none of the above type of lawyers have 'got off' a drunk driver - and then had said drunk driver (while drunk again) crash into the same lawyer or a one of their family members....<_<

SS90
24th September 2010, 22:27
I am not trying to minimise the story, but I don't think anyone has mentioned that this guy has not actually gotten away with anything, and, if anything, the whole story has brought about (from what is written) positive changes in the proceedures and systems of the local Police force.

It would seem that there is now a "purge" and demotion of dodgy coppers and officials from this story - would that have happened 10 years ago? Most likely not.

Logically this dude I'd going to serve some time, I assume that the Judge will likely give the maximum sentence in this case, and not take in any allowance for his past service record....

UNLESS........
He has a "good" lawyer and somehow manages to get the case heard in a Juristiction with more lenient laws and punishments, by a Judge with a sympathetic ear for a "Poor stressed out Police officer, who, after severe TRAUMA from being attacked by a bank robber wielding and AK47 ASSAULT RIFLE (note dramatic effect) whome he had killed after a PITCHED GUN BATTLE last year, began to become addicted to alcohol in an effort to drown the pain of taking another mans life (all in the course of duty to the American public your honor)

In fact it could be said, your Honor, that the Police officer is actually a VICTIM, who has been FAILED by the SYSTEM, a SYSTEM he swore an oath to protect........

And so on.

Genestho
25th September 2010, 12:33
Yeah, in total agreement based on what's reported.. :)

I was sent this info about 3 weeks ago, a couple of weeks after the incident - and decided to see how the facts unfolded a bit more, before posting..

There's a bit more being alleged behind the story, although I feel dubious these allegations can be proved.

I'd say this story has a way to go..

Quite interesting to note the differences in Justice systems too.

Bikemad
26th September 2010, 08:44
sounds like a gung ho redneck who enjoys nothing more than an oppurtunity to turn his sirens on and drive like a fuckwit before pulling his piece out and shooting someone............

scumdog
26th September 2010, 10:23
sounds like a gung ho redneck who enjoys nothing more than an oppurtunity to turn his sirens on and drive like a fuckwit before pulling his piece out and shooting someone............

Ouch!

You make it sound so...sorta wrong!:pinch:

MIXONE
26th September 2010, 11:13
I guess none of the above type of lawyers have 'got off' a drunk driver - and then had said drunk driver (while drunk again) crash into the same lawyer or a one of their family members....<_<

Know that would be Karma with a big K.

st00ji
27th September 2010, 07:15
I think the concern on this one is that the officer was enabled to get off those particular charges by encouraging initial incorrect procedure that led to the technicality.... and of course these may be the officers that lost jobs.

yep totally agree, im not trying to argue that its ok he got off the DUI charges, or that its not a complete travesty. just that your original post and the ones after it made it sound like he had gotten off all charges scot free.

as mentioned by another poster it does sound like things are being done as a result of this incident.

BoristheBiter
27th September 2010, 07:24
As said above lawyers have been getting offenders off tickets for years so this is no different.
He is still being done for it so what was the story?

Oh thats right he was a cop.
Next we will be followed with a "he was waving at the time" thread.

Genestho
28th September 2010, 09:14
As said above lawyers have been getting offenders off tickets for years so this is no different.
He is still being done for it so what was the story?

Oh thats right he was a cop.
Next we will be followed with a "he was waving at the time" thread.

I have absolute empathy for any officer, for what they deal with daily.

The story began with 4 Motorcyclists that were ploughed into by a cop that was drunk, it would be a big story anywhere because of the dynamics involved.

As I understand it - because of this crash and the can of worms opened, despite department policy changes enacted 2 weeks ago - requiring police to restrict drinking to 8 hours prior to the shift; the officers's conduct, the processes, investigation and the department itself are under investigation by FBI.

The criminal trial for the crash itself, doesn't start till October.

BoristheBiter
28th September 2010, 10:11
I have absolute empathy for any officer, for what they deal with daily.

The story began with 4 Motorcyclists that were ploughed into by a cop that was drunk, it would be a big story anywhere because of the dynamics involved.

As I understand it - because of this crash and the can of worms opened, despite department policy changes enacted 2 weeks ago - requiring police to restrict drinking to 8 hours prior to the shift; the officers's conduct, the processes, investigation and the department itself are under investigation by FBI.

The criminal trial for the crash itself, doesn't start till October.

I have no time for drunk drivers no matter what the occupation and no one should be let off for any reason.

What gets me is you don't see any occupations in the headlines unless it is a cop.
Why? who knows maybe just an easy target.

I know he was driving in a cop car at the time but you don't see "plumber kills motorcyclist by failing to give way" or "Fontera truck driver kills pillion rider by not being able to stop in time" Or the one that most happens "unempolyed unlicenced driver gets off drink drive change because of missing word in file".

Some threads just get on my tits and this is one of them.

yachtie10
28th September 2010, 10:33
I have no time for drunk drivers no matter what the occupation and no one should be let off for any reason.

What gets me is you don't see any occupations in the headlines unless it is a cop.

I know he was driving in a cop car at the time but you don't see "plumber kills motorcyclist by failing to give way" or "Fontera truck driver kills pillion rider by not being able to stop in time" Or the one that most happens "unempolyed unlicenced driver gets off drink drive change because of missing word in file".

While I agree with your point

The reason cops are singled out is because of the way some of them treat us
EG when we get a holier than thou officer treating you like a criminal for what IMHO are very minor infringments.
The worst of this is that show on tv from Aus, what bunch of sanctimonious dicks (does no favours for the image of policing)

Media prints what it thinks people will read and people like to see this stuff

Genestho
28th September 2010, 10:38

Sorry that you feel that way and I understand your point - as said, I have complete empathy for what officers deal with daily.

Apologies if it's thought I should've done a better job of illustrating the story, I'm not a reporter.

I don't think it's a matter of police being easy targets.

Officer's as well as their departments are held to a much higher degree of expectations and accountability - as they enforce the law that public are to abide by....plumbers, or fonterra workers don't, therefore wouldn't warrant further investigations as we see in this story.

nodrog
28th September 2010, 10:57

You are abit of a twat arent you. It is because he has failed to adhere to the very law he has been employed to uphold. Nobody gives a shit about Joe plumber, because it doesnt stink of hypocrisy when he does it.

Fanny

BoristheBiter
28th September 2010, 11:28
You are abit of a twat arent you. It is because he has failed to adhere to the very law he has been employed to uphold. Nobody gives a shit about Joe plumber, because it doesnt stink of hypocrisy when he does it.

Fanny

So what you are saying is that it is allright to drink and drive?

nodrog
28th September 2010, 11:37
So what you are saying is that it is allright to drink and drive?

Clearly you need glasses, or english lessons. Nowhere did I say that, I merely pointed out what is considered public interest news. Its not news when joe average breaks the law, but it is news when a public service person is caught doing the very thing they are employed to stop.

Fanny

BoristheBiter
28th September 2010, 13:11
Clearly you need glasses, or english lessons. Nowhere did I say that, I merely pointed out what is considered public interest news. Its not news when joe average breaks the law, but it is news when a public service person is caught doing the very thing they are employed to stop.

Fanny

No You said
"Nobody gives a shit about Joe plumber, because it doesnt stink of hypocrisy when he does it."
So therefore you're saying you don't care if he drives drunk as it is not what he is empolyed to stop.
Can't say i have seen all the " plumber causes new leak in shower head" threads coming out of here so i stand by my other post of its only news because it is a cop and there is nothing KB likes more than a cop basing thread (except maybe a waving one)

nodrog
28th September 2010, 13:41
No You said
"Nobody gives a shit about Joe plumber, because it doesnt stink of hypocrisy when he does it."
So therefore you're saying you don't care if he drives drunk as it is not what he is empolyed to stop.
Can't say i have seen all the " plumber causes new leak in shower head" threads coming out of here so i stand by my other post of its only news because it is a cop and there is nothing KB likes more than a cop basing thread (except maybe a waving one)

http://www.guardiancomics.com/wp-content/uploads/wpsc/product_images/Clutching%20At%20Straws%20Issue%200.jpg

Fanny

BoristheBiter
28th September 2010, 14:16
http://www.guardiancomics.com/wp-content/uploads/wpsc/product_images/Clutching%20At%20Straws%20Issue%200.jpg

Fanny

I see you are just another one of those posters that runs out brain power and has to resort to comics for inspiration.

nodrog
28th September 2010, 14:43
I see you are just another one of those posters that runs out brain power and has to resort to comics for inspiration.

How else do you reply to somebody who cant see past their own sweet smelling excrement?

Im sure there is a plumbing forum where people are posting about leaky showerheads, but I'm afraid this is a motorcycle forum where some topics are about roading, regulations, and the people who police them etc.

And of course a thread about a drunk policeman is going to take preference over joe blow plumber being done for drunk driving.

And so it should, its highly hipocritical to be out one day arresting drink drivers, dangerous U-turners, etc, then the next day getting caught yourself.

Its news because its what people want/need to see about the so called people, who on one hand uphold the law, then on the other hand think they are above it.

Fanny

BoristheBiter
28th September 2010, 15:49
How else do you reply to somebody who cant see past their own sweet smelling excrement?

Im sure there is a plumbing forum where people are posting about leaky showerheads, but I'm afraid this is a motorcycle forum where some topics are about roading, regulations, and the people who police them etc.

And of course a thread about a drunk policeman is going to take preference over joe blow plumber being done for drunk driving.

And so it should, its highly hipocritical to be out one day arresting drink drivers, dangerous U-turners, etc, then the next day getting caught yourself.

Its news because its what people want/need to see about the so called people, who on one hand uphold the law, then on the other hand think they are above it.

Fanny

You mean like people on this site who sit and cry that they got a ticket but expect the police to abide by the same laws they are breaking. you can't have it both ways.
It is one law for all, whether that be copper or plumber.

And trust me more joe public has pulled out/did a u-turn/ cut into my lane/the list goes on than any cop has so i would be more inclinded to watch out for them.

nodrog
28th September 2010, 15:54
You mean like people on this site who sit and cry that they got a ticket but expect the police to abide by the same laws they are breaking. you can't have it both ways.
It is one law for all, whether that be copper or plumber.

And trust me more joe public has pulled out/did a u-turn/ cut into my lane/the list goes on than any cop has so i would be more inclinded to watch out for them.

Godsake man :facepalm:

I suggest you print this thread out, and hang it in the cupboard, next to your "I support Clint Rickards Tee shirt".

Fanny

BoristheBiter
28th September 2010, 16:04
Godsake man :facepalm:

I suggest you print this thread out, and hang it in the cupboard, next to your "I support Clint Rickards Tee shirt".

Fanny

Clint Richards was found not-guilty in a NZ court of law by a jury of his peers so why wouldn't I support him.

Genestho
28th September 2010, 18:56
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Iy2d1JS1ZE&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MrlZB_-bYU&feature=channel

So, this is a couple of stories aired about 10 hours ago, from one of the survivors.

Toaster
28th September 2010, 19:21

Now that would be "justice".

BoristheBiter
28th September 2010, 19:27
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Iy2d1JS1ZE&feature=channel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MrlZB_-bYU&feature=channel

So, this is a couple of stories aired about 10 hours ago, from one of the survivors.

Couldn't open the second one.

I totaly agree with what she said about it being more than just an accident.
All drunk drivers should be charged with murder or attempted murder if they crash into someone.

You would think by now the message would have got though but i guess not as every time there is a booze bus at spaggetti juction you see all the parked cars in the morning.

Too many people just get away with a fine and loss of licence when some poor family is left with a hole that will never be filled.

SS90
1st October 2010, 06:26

All drunk drivers should be charged with murder or attempted murder if they crash into someone.

You would think by now the message would have got though but i guess not as every time there is a booze bus at spaggetti juction you see all the parked cars in the morning.

Too many people just get away with a fine and loss of licence when some poor family is left with a hole that will never be filled.

Don't the yanks have some term "Vehicular manslaughter"......

I personally don't believe that it is fair to term someone who kills a person as a "Murderer" so much, but there should be a high degree of consequences in the situation that someone is killed as a result of a drink driver.

Personally, I have never been affected directly by a drink driver ( well, in regards to someone I care about being killed or mamed as a result of) but I can say with all sincerity that I just do not understand why people continue to do it, the advertising campaigns, the heavy penalties (some say too soft) combined with the education of School children any reasonable person would never contemplate it...... The only conclusion I can come to is that it simply takes 2 or 3 generations of this level of education and enforcement before it has a real effect.

I am 33, and I can remember my parents (baby boomers) driving home drunk 2 or 3 times, they where career military people, and, my younger brother got caught drink driving (after crashing into a brick fence in the wet).

My younger brother is now one of the strongest advocates of not drink driving that I know...... It could have cost him his career.

And, I know that anti drink driving was very much drummed into us at High School.

My feeling is that it will be the generation of my brothers son and daughter that will have the lowest rate of drink driving offenses simply because it just takes time to really get the message through.

BoristheBiter
1st October 2010, 19:38
Don't the yanks have some term "Vehicular manslaughter"......

I personally don't believe that it is fair to term someone who kills a person as a "Murderer" so much, but there should be a high degree of consequences in the situation that someone is killed as a result of a drink driver.

Personally, I have never been affected directly by a drink driver ( well, in regards to someone I care about being killed or mamed as a result of) but I can say with all sincerity that I just do not understand why people continue to do it, the advertising campaigns, the heavy penalties (some say too soft) combined with the education of School children any reasonable person would never contemplate it...... The only conclusion I can come to is that it simply takes 2 or 3 generations of this level of education and enforcement before it has a real effect.

I am 33, and I can remember my parents (baby boomers) driving home drunk 2 or 3 times, they where career military people, and, my younger brother got caught drink driving (after crashing into a brick fence in the wet).

My younger brother is now one of the strongest advocates of not drink driving that I know...... It could have cost him his career.

And, I know that anti drink driving was very much drummed into us at High School.

My feeling is that it will be the generation of my brothers son and daughter that will have the lowest rate of drink driving offenses simply because it just takes time to really get the message through.

Everyone knows that when you have a drink, whether you are drunk or not, it effects your abilaty to drive, therefore it should meen at the least 3rd degree murder. (its USA)

its like saying i shot that person but didn't know it would kill him.

Your brother crashed while drunk, hope he never does it again and glad he didn't kill anyone, but the same can't be said for a good friend of my who is now mentaly dis abled because of a head on when a drunk crossed the center line (on a straight) and killed two people.
he got 12 months lose of licence and told to pay reparations, never did as he was just another bludger.

So you can see i have no time for the low life scum who thinks they are fine to drink and drive.

DarkLord
6th October 2010, 22:23
UNLESS........
He has a "good" lawyer and somehow manages to get the case heard in a Juristiction with more lenient laws and punishments, by a Judge with a sympathetic ear for a "Poor stressed out Police officer, who, after severe TRAUMA from being attacked by a bank robber wielding and AK47 ASSAULT RIFLE (note dramatic effect) whome he had killed after a PITCHED GUN BATTLE last year, began to become addicted to alcohol in an effort to drown the pain of taking another mans life (all in the course of duty to the American public your honor)

In fact it could be said, your Honor, that the Police officer is actually a VICTIM, who has been FAILED by the SYSTEM, a SYSTEM he swore an oath to protect........

And so on.

Uhhh... if I ever get in any serious trouble with the law, can I hire you as MY lawyer?

baptist
6th October 2010, 23:59

So true, you get a licence to drive or ride a vehicle and as such you have to be held responsible for how you use it. Boozing and driving is one of those crimes that needs to be dealt with by education yes but also by punishment that stops a person continuing to drive, namely 1st time a big fine and a ban, second time lock 'em up. If they kill someone why should they not be looked upon as a murderer? We are not stupid we all know the dangers of driving and what happens if you add booze to the mix. You want to run the chances of drink driving ok well run the risks of serving 15 years in jail as well.

Sorry if I offend anyone but drink driving has affected me and it is something I loath, as a christian I have to forgive (at some point) and I do, but that does not mean a murderer should get off with a slap across the knuckles.

Dave Lobster
8th October 2010, 19:37
Uhhh... if I ever get in any serious trouble with the law, can I hire you as MY lawyer?

Try Barry Hart at the end of Ponsonby Road. He's that much of a wanker.

scumdog
8th October 2010, 19:40
Try Barry Hart at the end of Ponsonby Road. He's that much of a wanker.

And some....