PDA

View Full Version : Buell belt drive to chain conversion?

maddog131
23rd September 2010, 14:42
Hi. has any one got any info on converting from belt drive to chain on a Buell XB12R?
2 belts in 8months because of a tiny bloody stone hole!! Grrr the belts are not cheap!

porky
23rd September 2010, 18:31
looked in my Midwest catalogue, only Big twin and sporty chain conversions listed. Might pay to ask your local stealer? ( For Harley stuff there are OEM part numbers listed for the conversion) sorry cant be more helpful. At least its a Buell, they are the quickest to change out.

Hitcher
23rd September 2010, 19:19
Why aren't you getting your belts replaced under warranty?

pete376403
23rd September 2010, 22:40
Warranty usually covers parts deemed faulty from manufacture - unless there is a belt guard that failed to prevent things getting in, stones between belt and pulley are hardly Buells fault.

White trash
24th September 2010, 15:42
The problem with them is that a sprocket has to be specially made for the idler wheel on the pre-tensioner, this is awkward. I've seen one on an XB12R that some guy raced a while ago but have no idea where he got it although it was most probably through Wellington Motorcylces.

You could also have a squiz on E-Bay as I'm sure there'd be a few conversions available in the States.

scumdog
24th September 2010, 16:17
Hi. has any one got any info on converting from belt drive to chain on a Buell XB12R?
2 belts in 8months because of a tiny bloody stone hole!! Grrr the belts are not cheap!

Are the belts actually breaking?

Or is it just that you're noticing the holes and don't want to ride knowing they are there?

nodrog
24th September 2010, 16:43
There are quite a few kits out there -

(down towards the bottom of page)
http://www.metaltekracing.com/db/mtcatalog.php?cat=%7B+List+all+products+%7D

http://www.freespirits.it/prodotti.php?lang=2&cat_id=401&prod_id=173

Fanny

maddog131
27th September 2010, 11:44
Are the belts actually breaking?

Or is it just that you're noticing the holes and don't want to ride knowing they are there?

yea mate, the belt i previously snapped had a stone hole in it for about 1000k (one weekend ride), i got an upgraded belt and from going to the cold kiwi n back there is another hole. Kinda sick of the whole rubber band final drive so chain conversion it is!
I have been doing a heap of research and the local bike shop looked so confused about just getting parts for me,so Im looking for some one who has done the conversion before.

Im still riding with my dodgy belt as the hole is in the center but just keeping wheel stands down to a minimum! :Punk:

maddog131
27th September 2010, 11:50
There are quite a few kits out there -

(down towards the bottom of page)
http://www.metaltekracing.com/db/mtcatalog.php?cat=%7B+List+all+products+%7D

http://www.freespirits.it/prodotti.php?lang=2&cat_id=401&prod_id=173

Fanny

Hey thanks mate i had not come across these sites yet.

davebullet
27th September 2010, 12:09
You could try the guys at F1 engineering. If they don't know, they might know of someone who has done the conversion locally.

Crasherfromwayback
27th September 2010, 12:32
Im still riding with my dodgy belt as the hole is in the center but just keeping wheel stands down to a minimum! :Punk:

You'll be surprised how long it'll last with the hole in the middle of the belt. If you get a hole on the edge of the belt it's a different story. Don't change to a chain...they feel horrible and harsh with a chain (no cush drive in the rear wheel).

You can normally feel when you pick up a stone in the belt. They start vibrating quite badly and feel harsh as hell. Pull over and flick the stone out and you're good to go!

Owl
28th September 2010, 06:41
I'm with Crasher on this!

A mate had his M2 Cyclone converted to chain after breaking a couple of belts. It went from being a nice bike to a horrible pig. In saying that, the conversion was somewhat "Mickey Mouse" and the skinny weedy 530 chain was designed for something sub 400cc.:blink:

nodrog
28th September 2010, 07:01
..... and the skinny weedy 530 chain was designed for something sub 400cc.:blink:

You must have the worlds only sub 400cc Speed Triple then?

Fanny

Crasherfromwayback
28th September 2010, 09:40
In saying that, the conversion was somewhat "Mickey Mouse" and the skinny weedy 530 chain was designed for something sub 400cc.:blink:

As Fanny said...530 is as big as anyone uses now...so it may've been a cheap nasty chain your mate used. But yeah...chains on Buells and Harleys are fucking horrible.

Owl
28th September 2010, 11:18
As Fanny said...530 is as big as anyone uses now...so it may've been a cheap nasty chain your mate used.

It was cheap and nasty. I took a note of the numbers and looked it up. I was somewhat gobsmacked to find it was a D.I.D 530, but it was probably a little over half the width of mine. Conversion was done by a so called pro too:facepalm:

Crasherfromwayback
28th September 2010, 11:23
Conversion was done by a so called pro too:facepalm:

Yeah...no 'Pro' would replace the belt with a chain in the first place!

BuellforJoey
31st July 2015, 13:09
yea mate, the belt i previously snapped had a stone hole in it for about 1000k (one weekend ride), i got an upgraded belt and from going to the cold kiwi n back there is another hole. Kinda sick of the whole rubber band final drive so chain conversion it is!
I have been doing a heap of research and the local bike shop looked so confused about just getting parts for me,so Im looking for some one who has done the conversion before.

If you don't do wheel stands you won't run through belts, the belt isn't made to handle the power all at once required for a wheel stand.

nodrog
31st July 2015, 14:46
If you don't do wheel stands you won't run through belts, the belt isn't made to handle the power all at once required for a wheel stand.

what sort of a shit belt cant handle 12 horsepower in one go?

Akzle
31st July 2015, 15:10
what sort of a shit belt cant handle 12 horsepower in one go?

need a bit more that that, with the weight of a ferguson (not to mention the obese rider)

http://www.southbuxtonraceway.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/honest-pride.jpg

Crasherfromwayback
4th August 2015, 18:25

Bullshit. Belts handle wheelies just fine.

bogan
4th August 2015, 18:32
Bullshit. Belts handle wheelies just fine.

He must be confusing belts with shafties...

Rhys
4th August 2015, 20:34
He must be confusing belts with shafties...

I heard you liked a good shaftie