PDA

View Full Version : Why join the Auckland Uni SMC?

kave
27th September 2010, 17:18
Hi all, I'm going to be starting at Auckland Uni next year. Just thought I would ask what the benefits of joining are? Tell me how awesome your club is and why I should join. Also, do I need to panic about security if I am parking on Symonds Street?

PirateJafa
27th September 2010, 17:48
Pros: We talk an incredible amout of shit both in person and online.

Cons: You have to put up with Squiggles.

Magua
27th September 2010, 18:09
Don't park on Symonds. There are plenty of parks for motorcycles in the parking underneath the business school. It's free too.

Slyer
27th September 2010, 18:09
You get invites to SMC events?
Including but not limited to road trips, drunk times, movie nights etc.
Oh, and rides on the odd occasion.

Squiggles
27th September 2010, 21:28
We do a fair amount of shit for the measly dollar we (have to) charge.

I wouldn't panic about Symonds St but i'd advise using a fairly visable lock to deter thieves.

motorbyclist
28th September 2010, 00:44
Hi all, I'm going to be starting at Auckland Uni next year. Just thought I would ask what the benefits of joining are? Tell me how awesome your club is and why I should join. Also, do I need to panic about security if I am parking on Symonds Street?

you name on our list keeps us as one of NZ's largest motorcycle groups - we talk with ACC, Auckland city council and Uof A to try slow the rate at which they screw us over. Sometimes we even achieve improvements! (Other times we're blatantly lied to and/or ignored)

One of our major victories is that now you can park in the dry safety of the OGG carpark, AND you can do it for free! Symond's street is a great place to get a bike nicked just like any other public street - beware, though, that I had my bike nicked from the staff carpark under science. My advice; chain it down, preferably get an alarm and check your policy for any theft-related loopholes and excesses

Real_Wolf
28th September 2010, 09:56
Don't join, their extortionists, they charge an entire DOLLAR.

Such a rip off, no way anyone should be sucked into paying a whole dollar to be in the club. All you get is a great group of people to hang out with, occasionally organised rides, and lots of other random things.

kave
28th September 2010, 21:42
Sounds pretty good. I guess one of the first things I will do when I start uni is sign up. How do you all manage your gear? Do you end up dragging it around to classes with you? Are there lockers or even places to get changed, or does everyone just revert to the bare minimum of jeans, jacket, helmet and gloves? I usually wear ATGATT, but I can't see how that will be practical at uni.

Squiggles
28th September 2010, 22:15
Sounds pretty good. I guess one of the first things I will do when I start uni is sign up. How do you all manage your gear? Do you end up dragging it around to classes with you? Are there lockers or even places to get changed, or does everyone just revert to the bare minimum of jeans, jacket, helmet and gloves? I usually wear ATGATT, but I can't see how that will be practical at uni.

Some facultys/departments offer lockers, AUSA also has lockers (think they're about $60-80 per year), can get ones that fit your helmet as well. I think most of the people that park in OGG either lock their gear to the bike or topbox it.

motorbyclist
29th September 2010, 10:13
+1 for using a locker.

and dragging gear around isn't the end of the world - those jackets are dry, windproof and warm during the winter! The major drawback with lockers (and topboxes) is that wet gear stays wet, and if I wear pants over my jeans to complete the ATGATT it's usually on a wet day....

Danae
29th September 2010, 12:37
Um....I bake stuff!

Jonno.
29th September 2010, 13:07
I tried dragging around gear for a week then got a locker. Sooo much easier.
AUSA one can't fit a helmet but I just lock that to the bike.

Rayray401
29th September 2010, 13:14
Danae bakes? lol

The Pastor
29th September 2010, 14:10
Danae bakes? lol

no she gets baked.

The Pastor
29th September 2010, 14:11

the free track day on signup?

Hanne
29th September 2010, 21:15
Why SHOULD you join SMC ? As Andrew says, numbers get us bargaining power and that gets you a good deal and fewer grumpy Uni Services guards yelling at you to move your bike.

Why would you WANT to join SMC? Well, for the awesome bits. Of course there's always Andrew's long golden mane (that's pretty awesome). But there are bike related plusses as well:

- You get information about upcoming events, not only from SMC but other clubs and events eg. Pink Ribbon Ride, Blood Runs etc and any relevant law changes/ biker news through the newsletter

- Discounted training courses from AUSA grants. We have sent people to courses such as Ride RIGHT Ride SAFE and the ART day at Pukekohe for half price thanks to funding from the students' association

- Discounts at Cycletreads

- Experienced riders available to check out new bikes if you are looking to buy

- Meet other young riders who are just as far off being able to join Ulysses as you are

I also hear a rumour that some of the founding members are starting to find grey hairs already... it's always good to get new blood and keep them on their toes :facepalm:

kave
30th September 2010, 06:28
Meet other young riders who are just as far off being able to join Ulysses as you are
Yeah, actually I will be starting uni as a mature student (officially anyway, 30 is barely mature is it?) so maybe I won't be among the youngest in the club. Hope there is no discrimination against oldies like me.

Real_Wolf
30th September 2010, 07:01
Yeah, actually I will be starting uni as a mature student (officially anyway, 30 is barely mature is it?) so maybe I won't be among the youngest in the club. Hope there is no discrimination against oldies like me.

dw, we got oldies older

The Pastor
30th September 2010, 08:41

Discrimination is one thing the SMC dose not do well. Unless you ride a honda

jono035
5th October 2010, 06:40

27 here, came back to do a Masters. There are a couple of people who are around reasonably often who are well older than that too... Doesn't matter in the slightest.

Cayman911
6th October 2010, 08:53
i had a dollar in my pocket, it was making me really uncomfortable.
it just had to go. nearest place was a vending machine. but that charged $2! so next place was SMC.