PDA

View Full Version : EU to propose mandatory ABS/dateline to reduce emissions

Bob
2nd October 2010, 00:23
The European Commission are to propose new rules to increase the safety of motorcycles, while at the same time setting a dateline to reduce their toxic emissions.

According to the proposal document, advanced braking systems (ABS) will be mandatory on all “new medium and high-performance bikes”.

All vehicles will need AHO (automatic headlights on).

Further reduction of toxic emissions will be proposed, over a graduated timeframe to start in 2014 and ending in 2020. "This staggered approach with each time more severe emission limits targets to address the disproportionately high share of toxic emissions emitted...in comparison to all road transport emissions” concludes the proposal document.

Brian d marge
2nd October 2010, 01:40
Me Enfield and Bantam are safe then,

Stephen

SS90
2nd October 2010, 02:57
This is why companies like BMW have already released high tech ABS and traction control on their Sportsbike....... I would say the next one to do it in a big tech way will be KTM, then probably Honda.

Urano
2nd October 2010, 05:32
According to the proposal document, advanced braking systems (ABS) will be mandatory on all “new medium and high-performance bikes”.

it is way the time... :yes::yes:

All vehicles will need AHO (automatic headlights on).

i thought it's already mandatory.
:innocent:

Further reduction of toxic emissions will be proposed, over a graduated timeframe to start in 2014 and ending in 2020. "This staggered approach with each time more severe emission limits targets to address the disproportionately high share of toxic emissions emitted...in comparison to all road transport emissions” concludes the proposal document.

to "all" road transport??????:shit::shit::shit:
what about shitty trucks ??

this part is completely useless...

NONONO
2nd October 2010, 07:47

Oh well, just pick the bits you like and ignore the rest..We have managed to do that with the ACC hikes, MSL, MSL EG and the new license and "safety proposals....

Bob
3rd October 2010, 02:21

The documentation this comes from was obstensibly dealing with motorcycles, but did mention AHO for all vehicles as motorcycles already are required to do so. The emissions regs element is dealing with motorcycles.

If you want to read up on "shitty trucks", please feel free to do so and report back here. To get the ball rolling, here is a link with a bundle of information:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_emission_standards

A bundle of additional information on the items I reported is at: http://www.nieuwsbank.nl/en/2010/10/01/R026.htm

Urano
3rd October 2010, 05:50
AHO for all vehicles as motorcycles already are required to do so.

whops...
sorry, i missed the "all vehicles"...

The emissions regs element is dealing with motorcycles.
If you want to read up on "shitty trucks", please feel free to do so and report back here.

the "shitty trucks" comment was due to the statement that motorbikes have "disproportionately high share of toxic emissions emitted...in comparison to all road transport emissions".

i believe that truck have way higher emission than bikes...
but, maybe i'm wrong...

Bob
3rd October 2010, 07:59
Trouble with the "all road transport emissions" line, is that it infers a median, average point. So trucks might drag it down a bit, but you're probably (I'll be honest, I've not gone into THAT much depth in all of this!) getting stuff like those nice, clean, only pump out H2O buses thown into the mix as well.

I think if you compare bikes to cars, we come off 2nd best by a long way. Again with this, are they comparing vehicles within a certain time frame of manufacture? I'd like to think they are, as trying to justify something like an old bike from the 60s against a Prius would be rather unfair!

I'd be genuinely interested in knowing if you could come up with some decent comparisons. Hopefully the links I came up with will give you a lead into the subject.

Urano
4th October 2010, 07:12
there has been a french study about bikes/cars emission and pollution, few years ago.

i can't find it anymore, but the conclusions were more or less like this:
-bikes' engines emissions are higher than cars', prolly because cars have larger catalyzer and average cars have engines with lower performance, consumes (compared to the displacement), and hp.
-bikes' pollution is anyway lower than cars' in cities, due to the lower time-in-transit (less time with the engine running, steady at the lights or looking for parking or waiting for the "sunday driver" to let you pass through...).
-bikes' pollution is comparable to cars' outside cities, but i can't remember why... :D

so, the fact is that the larger air pollution is derived from commercial road transport. the only way to get rid of it is to transfer goodies by train and not with trucks. then you can limit private transport within cities with good politics of public transport (subways above all).
i'm really, really surprised that in nz you don't have extended subways' use in your cities. at least auckland and wellington, which are maybe the only larger enough to justify the realization's costs. on smaller cities i'd go with o-bahn systems and electrical buses...
at least you have cities with average small population: we have an even worse situation, but we are 60 millions...