PDA

View Full Version : Screwed gears for a bit

Will the ninja
15th October 2010, 22:36
Was out practising in a quiet/dead area. Accidentally dropped to 1st from almost redline 2nd, going up a hill. The rev-counter swings like crazy for half a second and I immediately pull in the clutch and slow down.

I then notice that shifting up from 1-2-3-4 that the lever is giving me an extra slight click for every gear change. It was quite consistent. Like you'd kick up, feel it go in gear and then feel another slight nudge, just very slight.

Not only that, I could barely engine brake. I was getting say 25% of my engine braking, but it was slipping real bad.

I stop and start for about 3 more goes and everything feels like normal again. I know it's a hard one to describe, but does anyone have a clue what happened?

psycho22
16th October 2010, 00:24
Out of curiosity how did you drop it into first?

tigertim20
16th October 2010, 00:46
Was out practising in a quiet/dead area. Accidentally dropped to 1st from almost redline 2nd, going up a hill. The rev-counter swings like crazy for half a second and I immediately pull in the clutch and slow down.

I then notice that shifting up from 1-2-3-4 that the lever is giving me an extra slight click for every gear change. It was quite consistent. Like you'd kick up, feel it go in gear and then feel another slight nudge, just very slight.

Not only that, I could barely engine brake. I was getting say 25% of my engine braking, but it was slipping real bad.

I stop and start for about 3 more goes and everything feels like normal again. I know it's a hard one to describe, but does anyone have a clue what happened?
Id say you caused some clutch slippage, heating up the fibres of the clutch. once too hot, it would have temporarly kept slipping, resulting in the reduced engine braking.

if you go to www.howstuffworks.com and look up clutch. once you see the diagrams of how one works, youll be able to figure out how it could have happened.

Probably not anything to worry about unless the slipping continues to occur.