PDA

View Full Version : EU rejects ABS “off switch” proposal

Bob
22nd October 2010, 23:42
(I relate this, as the NZ Gov't seems to fall in line with Europe/USA eventually)

The European Commission has rejected a proposal from FEMA (The motorcyclist’s federation in Europe) to allow the addition of an Off-Switch for ABS systems on motorcycles.

FEMA called for the addition, as ABS is not suitable for certain riding conditions, such as unpaved roads. The EU acknowledged this, but rejected the proposal as the number of citizens living in areas with a high percentage of unpaved roads is ‘negligible’.

Gremlin
23rd October 2010, 01:24
so we'll just let those ones risk more then? Stupid... Lets hope the manufacturers make it easy enough to bypass and/or create an off switch. Ironic really, trying to increase safety, and they've just made it more dangerous.

Corse1
23rd October 2010, 06:32
Hmm my ST4s ABS has off switch on LH bar...but never used it

AllanB
23rd October 2010, 07:08
So are they making anti-lock compulsory over there then?

Can't wait for air-bag riding suits. In day-glow pink of course so they are more visible.

Kickaha
23rd October 2010, 07:10
Can't wait for air-bag riding suits. In day-glow pink of course so they are more visible.

So we all have to dress like Honda riders?

onearmedbandit
23rd October 2010, 07:31
So are they making anti-lock compulsory over there then?

Nah, I think you'll find it just means if it is equipped from factory it can't be switched off. Making it compulsory is still not on the agenda. Even in cars.

YellowDog
23rd October 2010, 07:34
(I relate this, as the NZ Gov't seems to fall in line with Europe/USA eventually)

The European Commission has rejected a proposal from FEMA (The motorcyclist’s federation in Europe) to allow the addition of an Off-Switch for ABS systems on motorcycles.

FEMA called for the addition, as ABS is not suitable for certain riding conditions, such as unpaved roads. The EU acknowledged this, but rejected the proposal as the number of citizens living in areas with a high percentage of unpaved roads is ‘negligible’.

So "the number of citizens living in areas with a high percentage of unpaved roads is ‘negligible"

AND if you don't live in an unpaved area, why on earth would you choose to ride in such an area?

This seems like the ususal case of dumb arses making the decision on a subject they know nothing about.

I have taken the ABS fuse out more than once :yes:

Bob
23rd October 2010, 08:17
Nah, I think you'll find it just means if it is equipped from factory it can't be switched off. Making it compulsory is still not on the agenda. Even in cars.

From reading the press release, it would appear that compulsory it is, for bikes above 125cc (learner-legal machines in Europe).

The following link gives a lot more detail:

http://www.fema-online.eu/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=127&cntnt01returnid=15

onearmedbandit
23rd October 2010, 08:44
From reading the press release, it would appear that compulsory it is, for bikes above 125cc (learner-legal machines in Europe).

The following link gives a lot more detail:

http://www.fema-online.eu/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=127&cntnt01returnid=15

From 2017 I see. And they are trying to ban any modifications to the power train that increases torque, power or top speed.

MSTRS
23rd October 2010, 08:56
The meek may inherit the earth, but the FacelessGreyMenInSuitsThatKnowBest will still be controlling things.

Mental Trousers
23rd October 2010, 10:15
From 2017 I see. And they are trying to ban any modifications to the power train that increases torque, power or top speed.

... that would include sprockets. So you're only allowed to run the standard front and rear sprockets. No more going up 2 teeth on the rear to get a bit more omph out of corners.

onearmedbandit
23rd October 2010, 12:44
... that would include sprockets. So you're only allowed to run the standard front and rear sprockets. No more going up 2 teeth on the rear to get a bit more omph out of corners.

Tyre valves will be banned as well, you'll have to get your pressures done by an authorised outlet that runs them at factory specs so you can't lower them for more grip.

Swoop
24th October 2010, 19:09
Thank fuck for after-market manufacturers...

Urano
24th October 2010, 20:37

actually abs is compulsory in cars from about ten years ago...
and they are talking about getting the esp compulsory for cars as well.

they are actually discussing about the possibility to make abs mandatory in bikes, and i'd be more than pleased about that, but the switch should be allowed.
anyway, it shouldn't be so difficult to put an aftermarket switch on the bar or, in the worst case, to pull out the fuse...

BMWST?
25th October 2010, 18:21

but lowering the gearing DECREASES top speed :done:

young1
7th December 2010, 12:03
If they want to do that how about putting them on an ABS equiped bike, loaded with panniers and a pillion on a steep down hill, heading into a sharp corner, on a back country gravel road! They would soon change their minds!

It has sure given me a scare the couple of times or so that I have forgotten to stop and turn my ABS off.