PDA

View Full Version : Hells Angels go to war… with fashion designer

Bob
29th October 2010, 00:08
The Hells Angels has a new enemy… British Fashion House Alexander McQueen.

The bike group has threatened legal action over a range of clothes and accessories featuring a skull and wings death head design. Copyright does not seem to be the only issue, as the Angel’s lawyers suggest a health and safety angle. "This isn't just about money, it's about membership," Hells Angels lawyer Fritz Clapp told the New York Post. "If you've got one of these rings on, a member might get really upset that you're an imposter."

This is not the first time the Hells Angels has felt the need to take to the courts, famously suing Walt Disney for image issues in their ‘Wild Hogs’ movie starring John Travolta.

The Lone Rider
29th October 2010, 05:18
It's a bit more than just a copyright. I'm pretty sure it's trademarked internationally, under Hells Angels Corporation or something along those lines.

admenk
29th October 2010, 12:05
Does that mean I can't go out with my Alexander McQueen handbag to my local ??

bungbung
29th October 2010, 12:30

Not if you value your health and safety

bsasuper
30th October 2010, 08:32
I would not be caught wearing anything with the hells angels logo's, I mean isnt that a Gay Bikers club?

dogsnbikes
30th October 2010, 11:16

just in Wanganui

baptist
30th October 2010, 13:35
I would not be caught wearing anything with the hells angels logo's, I mean isnt that a Gay Bikers club?

:doh::killingme

The Lone Rider
30th October 2010, 17:34
One thing that IS interesting is you can buy HA supporters gear easily.

The issue is, like many MCs, the actual logo is for members only and no supporters gear is allowed to resemble a members cuts or contain the actual logo.

The logos and design of the cuts are often trademarked.

If you wanted HA stuff, there are a number of places you can buy Support 81 or The Big Red Machine shirts, hats, hoodies, belts, etc

Rogue Rider
30th October 2010, 17:47
The Hells Angels has a new enemy…

This is not the first time the Hells Angels has felt the need to take to the courts, famously suing Walt Disney for image issues in their ‘Wild Hogs’ movie starring John Travolta.

Curious to know what the issue was in Wild Hogs, thought the movie was funny..... Were the logo's too much like the Hells Angels, or was it the the taking over a town like the bikers in the 50's?

BIG DOUG
30th October 2010, 19:54
If you saw the broach they made it was an exact copy of the deathhead so I think they have a case

bsasuper
30th October 2010, 20:34
Th only case to answer is the hell's angels for their criminal activity, and why would you want to wear supporters gear from them, unless of course you wanted everyone else to know that you are also Gay.

BIG DOUG
31st October 2010, 17:36
See it's easy to call a hells angel gay when you are on the computor but can't see you saying it to there faces so best you just keep your mouth shut,unless you are man enough to front them.

scumdog
31st October 2010, 17:42
See it's easy to call a hells angel gay when you are on the computor but can't see you saying it to there faces so best you just keep your mouth shut,unless you are man enough to front them.

With what HA try to depict of themselves to the public he shouldn't be worried?

They're just a big boys social free-in-the-wind motorcycle club out to fund-raise for sufferers of various medical conditions is what I picked up...

bsasuper
31st October 2010, 18:30

Well er yes I have fronted them in my previous employment, they are tough in a pack, but get them alone and they squeal like a pig.

Its just the way I see them, I mean

1. They all wear matching clothes
2.They have club houses for secret "meetings"
3.I've seen a couple of them rolling around on the ground shouting "im gonna fuck you up"

hellokitty
31st October 2010, 18:44

Well according to others on this site - they must be gay because they wave to me, and we all know that waving is like so lame :bye: but Headhunters wave too, so are they gay?

bsasuper
31st October 2010, 19:33
Well according to others on this site - they must be gay because they wave to me, and we all know that waving is like so lame :bye: but Headhunters wave too, so are they gay?

The name headhunters says it all

imdying
1st November 2010, 09:59
See it's easy to call a hells angel gay when you are on the computor but can't see you saying it to there faces so best you just keep your mouth shut,unless you are man enough to front them.Or what big boy :love:

admenk
1st November 2010, 15:07
just in Wanganui

Should that be Whanganui nowadays??? :innocent:

Banditbandit
22nd November 2010, 14:06

That's a real Health and Safety issue attitude ... :facepalm:

Banditbandit
22nd November 2010, 14:09
Curious to know what the issue was in Wild Hogs, thought the movie was funny..... Were the logo's too much like the Hells Angels, or was it the the taking over a town like the bikers in the 50's?

I dunno ... but I remember when I saw the movie I thought the Wild Hogs patch was flying a bit close to the wind (or HA colours ...)

ital916
22nd November 2010, 15:06
Having seen the offending designs, I can say that I don't think the HA will win the case. The items designed by alexander mcqueen do have a skull with angel wings BUT skulls and angel wings are a combo that have been put together from before the hells angels were around. Yes they have trademarked their specific design, but the Mcqueen items have skulls that are wearing helmets with ornate designs or no helmets at all and have large flowing angel wings wrapped around them. Not the aviator cap and the almost hood ornament like wings of the death head.

To say that if anybody ever puts a skull and some wings together in a design will be sued by the HA for fear of the said person getting hurt is silly and bloody ridiculous.

To put it in perspective, if a M/C used a coiled snake as a logo for 50 years, could they trademark the image of a coiled snake, an image which gets used daily in many different images, items etc and then attempt to sue those who use it. I think not.

ellipsis
22nd November 2010, 15:29
.....who gives a flying fuck...

ital916
22nd November 2010, 18:12

Obviously the hells angels.

avgas
22nd November 2010, 18:38
I am surprise the bike manufacturers / race teams haven't taken Deus to court yet.....
Triumph charge a small fortune for anything with their logo on it......yet a lot of people just put a picture of the bike and it seems everyone is ok?

kiwi cowboy
22nd November 2010, 20:42

Bang :woohoo: got it oh wait sorry thought you said Duck:facepalm:

jack_hamma
15th December 2010, 10:44

I think you still can.... not so much as you getting a bash, maybe just a tickle up the rear :)