PDA

View Full Version : Go karting!

Dare
5th November 2010, 14:10
Monday night (5/11), its for a mates birthday but numbers are a bit low right now.
So who's keen? It's at formula-e I think!
:scooter: <- looks kind of like a gocart

Squiggles
5th November 2010, 14:19
Monday night (5/11), its for a mates birthday but numbers are a bit low right now.
So who's keen? It's at formula-e I think!
:scooter: <- looks kind of like a gocart

Phoar (http://www.formulae.co.nz/standard-formats/)

</10chars>

Dare
5th November 2010, 14:22
Phoar (http://www.formulae.co.nz/standard-formats/)

</10chars>

Are there any cheaper ones? Haven't booked yet..

White trash
5th November 2010, 14:57
Formula E karts are the best fucken karts in New Zealand.

motorbyclist
7th November 2010, 20:25
Formula E karts are the best fucken karts in New Zealand.

but why are they sooo expensive?

I could do a whole day at the coro including lunch for the same as 30minutes! And they don't even have fuel costs!

macros87
7th November 2010, 21:47
but why are they sooo expensive?

I could do a whole day at the coro including lunch for the same as 30minutes! And they don't even have fuel costs!

wtf? they dont have fuel cost? are they running on solar power? how much is it anyway?

Slyer
8th November 2010, 07:50
I was going to go blah blah it's expensive to run so the prices are reasonable blah blah then I actually looked at the prices. The fuck.

motorbyclist
8th November 2010, 13:39
wtf? they dont have fuel cost? are they running on solar power? how much is it anyway?

power costs are going to be fuck all compared to petrol for their IC equivalents - and then there's the zero maintenance on the electric motor etc leaving the only consumables at tyres and brakes (assuming they don't employ regen braking)

new batteries every 3 years or so (depending on technology used) would be the big hit, but still gotta be cheaper than running petrol carts!

Arrive and Drive Casual racing for 1 – 10 people

10 minute sprint $30 (approx 20 laps)
20 minute sprint $55 (approx 40 laps)
30 minute super sprint $75 (approx 60 laps)
40 minute super sprint $90 (approx 80 laps)

I was going to go blah blah it's expensive to run so the prices are reasonable blah blah then I actually looked at the prices. The fuck.

exactly!

motorbyclist
8th November 2010, 13:49
Up to 8 DRIVERS

BIRTHDAY SPECIAL

Up to 8 drivers for $240 total cost.
Following 2 practice laps, drivers have 2 x 7 minute races, with exclusive use of track

works out 30 bucks a head for 15 minutes of track time

however, my experience with that place is that there's some variability between carts, despite the best efforts by the organisers to govern them accordingly. No idea what the E carts are like but by virtue of being newer they probably aren't as bad

EDIT: curiously, some deals with one company make the other cheaper and vice versa... point being surely E carts should have lower costs and would do well to be cheaper than their competitor... or I suppose they could go for marketing or just a better overall experience and make more money

White trash
8th November 2010, 14:01
power costs are going to be fuck all compared to petrol for their IC equivalents - and then there's the zero maintenance on the electric motor etc leaving the only consumables at tyres and brakes (assuming they don't employ regen braking)

new batteries every 3 years or so (depending on technology used) would be the big hit, but still gotta be cheaper than running petrol carts!

exactly!

They also have a great big fuck off warehouse on Auckland airport, the busiest freight area in New Zealand. What do you reckon the rent is worth?
Also, their carts are very new, European built performance karts (as opposed to POS "homebuilts" with poxy generator motors) which make any petrol indoor kart I've ever been in (and I've been in a few) look partucularly lame. The karts are all beautifully prensented, feel very "tight" to drive and are absolutely identical in terms of performance.

Worth twice the cost of any indoor karting establishment for my mind.

Dare
8th November 2010, 14:17
New date is the 16th!
Register interest... Now :woohoo:

Slyer
8th November 2010, 14:19
Also, their carts are very new, European built performance karts (as opposed to POS "homebuilts" with poxy generator motors) which make any petrol indoor kart I've ever been in (and I've been in a few) look partucularly lame. The karts are all beautifully prensented, feel very "tight" to drive and are absolutely identical in terms of performance.
This establishment is clearly at odds with Kiwi philosophy.

Dare
8th November 2010, 15:15
Worth twice the cost of any indoor karting establishment for my mind.

Last place I went to had so much toe-in my arms got sore halfway through, not to mention go-karts feeling less than smooth to control

jono035
9th November 2010, 19:16
Not to mention that a petrol motor is still a shitload cheaper up-front than an equivalent electric motor and associated batteries. They're probably hitting the batteries pretty hard in terms of charge/discharge cycles, so battery replacement is possibly a pretty high running cost, too.

Aside from that, I would think that an electric go-kart would be much less variable to start with, not to mention that it would trivial to implement an acceleration and speed envelope within the motor controller that would allow all the go-karts to perform equivalently in a straight line, no matter the weight of the occupant.

Interesting idea, really.

motorbyclist
9th November 2010, 22:12
They also have a great big fuck off warehouse on Auckland airport, the busiest freight area in New Zealand. What do you reckon the rent is worth?

why on earth did they set up there then?!

I would like to go give them a try, but I'm still a student for a few weeks and that's effing expensive!

This establishment is clearly at odds with Kiwi philosophy.

bling awarded :clap:

Last place I went to had so much toe-in my arms got sore halfway through, not to mention go-karts feeling less than smooth to control

if you use your heel you can pull the throttle cable a little further for moar power ;)

Aside from that, I would think that an electric go-kart would be much less variable to start with, not to mention that it would trivial to implement an acceleration and speed envelope within the motor controller that would allow all the go-karts to perform equivalently in a straight line, no matter the weight of the occupant.

Interesting idea, really.

heheh yeah I had a think about that, too

The Pastor
12th November 2010, 09:36
There prices are only marginally more expensive than other go kart areas.

Henderson karts are still, imo, the best ever karts in auckland.

They are fast, have a massive 44second track with - this is the most important - plenty of places to overtake.

Henderson is almost a replica of real kart racing. Its awesome.

macros87
12th November 2010, 10:30
mmm that is pretty expensive though, I remember paying 25 dollars for 25 minutes at the ones at the end of Lincoln road but that would have been years ago now.

back to the original point of this thread, which i don't remember being lets bitch about go cart prices, has anyone told the guy they are going yet?