PDA

View Full Version : Bandit 250 engine noise

GoldMiner
8th November 2010, 12:52
Took my bandit for a mint ride from katikati to Martinborough over the weekend but on the way home got to Turangi all sweet then as I headed north the overheat light came on, got off let it cool then kept going did this about 3 times the rest of the way home, also noticed that there was a tapping noise coming from the engine sounded like tappets and was most noticeable when pulling on the power, went away while cruising or throttling back, (also louder when she was hot). Any suggestions on cause of overheat and noise? Had a mate suggest the cam chain tensioner/guide is wearing out, the old girl clicked over 70000km's on the trip home, I had the clearances done not long ago along with compression check and they were sweet as.
Maybe 8.5 hours of riding was a bit much for the old girl.:scooter:

White trash
8th November 2010, 12:58
you, my technically challenged friend, have a fucked big end. Or rather your bike does.

Good luck with that.

I'm bidding $50 for the rest of the bike.

GoldMiner
8th November 2010, 13:25
Your right I am technically challenged lol the old girl is shimmed not tappets. Don't like the sound of big end that sounds expensive! would that be causing both overheat and noise?

The Everlasting
8th November 2010, 15:44
Could be the above,but take it to a bike shop and see what they say.

White trash
8th November 2010, 15:53
Your right I am technically challenged lol the old girl is shimmed not tappets. Don't like the sound of big end that sounds expensive! would that be causing both overheat and noise?

Possibly the cause of the overheating if it's beginning to bind and cause excessive heat. And yeah, if it's a big end on one of those it's expensive.

That being said, it may not be a big end, I'm actually just as technically challenged as you :D, it's just that's the symptoms you're explaining.

Taking it to a bike shop for diagnosis is the best bet but bear in mind, it could take them up to four hours to strip the thing down and price the repairs, which will be to the tune of $400 or so at todays labour rates.

GoldMiner
9th November 2010, 07:21
Cheers for the advice, this has turned out to be an expensive trip all the bloody roadworks caused a fork seal to blow too and the bike shop quoted 250 to fix not including bushes if they are fucked, might go have a bit of a cry in the corner somewhere:crybaby:

White trash
9th November 2010, 07:39
Cheers for the advice, this has turned out to be an expensive trip all the bloody roadworks caused a fork seal to blow too and the bike shop quoted 250 to fix not including bushes if they are fucked, might go have a bit of a cry in the corner somewhere:crybaby:

That's probably about right. However, if you're keen to ask for assistance I'm sure a local KBer with a little mechanical know how will be willing to spend a couple of hours one afternoon showing you how easy they are to replace. about $30 for a pair of seals, $20 for a litre of fork oil and $30 for a box of Heinekin.

I'd get that engine noise diagnosed well before buying any seals.

Teflon
9th November 2010, 16:01
Check your oil and filter for shiny shit dude.. good luck

http://www.findapart.com.au/

GoldMiner
10th November 2010, 08:51
Talking to a mate who's pulled apart many a bike, suggested maybe thermostat may have failed/blocked causing overheat issue and reckons engine gets rattly when hot, haven't had a chance to look into any of the suggestions yet hopefully might get a little bit of time over the weekend, the bike isn't blowing smoke or using oil as far as I can tell and all the coolant levels were fine, will check the oil for shiny bits I think probably needs a change anyway.

GoldMiner
15th November 2010, 09:46
Checked the oil over the weekend drained it through a cloth, nothing in the filter but plenty of shiny brass looking bits collected in the cloth, I'm no expert but that can't be good !! looks like I might be parting my baby:shit::bye:

Gibbo89
15th November 2010, 10:02
would the shiny things in the oil or whatever be from the clutch? like aluminum clutch plates or something? maybe i am way off... :facepalm:

MSTRS
15th November 2010, 10:20
Brass swarf? Sounds more like bushes. Lots of bikes have them instead of bearings for camshafts.

White trash
15th November 2010, 10:36
Big. End.

You poor bastard.