PDA

View Full Version : Oil changes on oil-cooled bike - more often in summer/traffic?

Mully
8th November 2010, 19:02
Hey all,

As you are probably aware, I've just had the pleasure of buying Beyond's GSX14.

This is (or will be) my only bike - and will be my bike for the foreseeable future. Beyond has had it serviced every 6K (as per the manual) which I will obviously continue to do.

Because this is my only bike, it is used for commuting (amongst other things). During summer, I was wondering if there is any benefit to changing the oil every 3K?

My theory is that the oil works harder than in a water cooled donk, and sitting in traffic in the heat makes it work harder still.

So, any benefit to doing this, or should a quality oil be able to cope anyway?

TIA,
Mully

Spuds1234
8th November 2010, 19:16
Probably no benifit at all, except for your own peace of mind.

It will get hard on the pocket to depending on how far you commute. I do about 50km a day 5 days a week, throw in a few big rides and other odd trips and the k's rack up really fast.

NinjaNanna
8th November 2010, 19:35
I'd save the pennys to pay the rego. If the suzuki engineers are smart enough to build them, its probably fair to say they know how often the oil should be changed to.

LBD
8th November 2010, 19:59
Go with the OEM recomended interval of 6000km if that is the case. If you do a lot of commuting at low speed, you may like to bring that back to 5k ish. Commuting will generate a lot more contaminants because of more clutch slippage from standing starts....and will oxidize (burn) the oil between the clutch plates due to friction generated heat.

Make sure you use the correct weight of oil...preferably a synthetic oil....Synthetics maintain a more constant viscosity at higher (and lower) temps. and have a lower intenal traction (oil molecules slide against one another better)