PDA

View Full Version : Dammit, an oil thread for Katie

Gremlin
10th November 2010, 00:56
Currently my KTM 990 SM runs on the factory oil for her, Motorex Fully Synthetic 10W50 and has done since the first service (as specified by KTM). I believe she had a special run-in oil for the first 1000km, but KTM doesn't actually specify what it is.

The issue is burn rate. Half way through the service interval of 7500km, I'm having to put 500-1000ml of oil in, to top her up. This usage is not abnormal, as they say, KTMs use oil, unlike Hondas that you leave alone between services.

She is now a little over 2 years old, outside the official warranty period and has around 58,500km on the clock. The issue I'm starting to find is that big rides of 1000km+ could leave her short on oil just after the halfway mark of the interval, and next year, I could be doing over 4500km before wanting to fill with oil. For the KTM, the oil does cooling as well as lubrication, so as the oil quantity drops, the oil has to work harder.

So the question. Does anyone have suggestions on what oil to switch to? Some have suggested a semi-synth. My basic requirement is just as much engine protection at a minimum and a reduced burn rate. One of the mechs who have worked on my bike has suggested giving Elf a call to discuss, another friend has said Elf is only mid range?

Cost isn't really the issue. As long as its available, protects the engine and ideally, barely burns away during a service interval...

The Baron
10th November 2010, 05:58
Hi
I have a BMW 1150 which uses oil ( It's a boxer thing/ BMW thing). I have found that it uses more oil if it is synthetic oil. Try non synthetic oils and see if it makes any difference.

AllanB
10th November 2010, 07:01
The local KTM shop uses Motul oils. I've no idea if this reduces oil consumption.

Sounds like you require a oversize scot oiler for the engine!

I had a Suzuki that was thirsty on oil - I found it used less oil running a non synthetic. It also burnt more at low speeds ie around town, but was Ok on a thrashing, Suzukis eh?

Gremlin
10th November 2010, 16:23
Sounds like you require a oversize scot oiler for the engine!
Or an oil that doesn't burn as fast :facepalm:

I've spoken to Elf today, their technical guy has recommended a 10W60, which ironically, my shop has just taken delivery of yesterday.

Same old story, now I have to put some kilometres on her to get up to service interval so we can swap the oil out and try some Elf.

Quasievil
10th November 2010, 16:27
Mobil 1 what are you fucking around for

Gremlin
10th November 2010, 16:29
Mobil 1 what are you fucking around for
:killingme

Where were you earlier today then? So Mr Mobil, what oil would suitably replace Motorex Fully Synthetic 10W50, providing as much (or more) protection, and a reduced burn rate?

p.dath
10th November 2010, 16:32
:killingme

Where were you earlier today then? So Mr Mobil, what oil would suitably replace Motorex Fully Synthetic 10W50, providing as much (or more) protection, and a reduced burn rate?

He did say "Mobil 1" ....

NZsarge
10th November 2010, 16:35
I had been running a Semi-synthetic Motul in the 14 but during a the 24,000km shim check AFC put the same fully synthetic Motorex you're using in your bike, it used oil where as it never had with the Motul semi. Prices for oil have also gone up since then and doing an oil change on the 14 would cost approx $140 plus any top up's plus filter which i'm sorry is just farking crazy!! I've gone back to Motul Semi and changing every 5000km. One thing I will say though is the fully synthetic did result in quite a bit nicer gear change.

AllanB
10th November 2010, 20:11
Same old story, now I have to put some kilometres on her to get up to service interval so we can swap the oil out and try some Elf.

Nah - just dump it and try the new stuff, it will just piss you off otherwise.

Mobil make a 'big twin' bike oil I believe - Quasi will know.

Sensei
10th November 2010, 20:57
I only run Mobil 1- 4T Racing < 15/50 > in my RSVR & my customers Aprilia's have done for 4ys now , its made for big V- Twin bikes & is bike specific oil .....Plain Mobil 1 is a car oil & has not being designed for a motorbike gearbox !

Quasievil
11th November 2010, 06:57
Yes Sensei Mobil 1 racing 4t 15W-50 is what I mean , its a awesome oil and the one which others use as a benchmark, we aren't allowed to say the worlds leading synthetic oil for nothing eh.
As far as burn rates gremlin, possibly not alot to do with the oil more so with the bike however a higher viscosity index along with a good additive package to prevent oil thickening will be key which Mobil 1 will provide you.

The Mobil 1 V twin 20W-50 is more so designed for Harleys etc.

Owl
12th November 2010, 05:33
I've been using Motul 300V 10W-40 for the last couple of years, but I think I'll be returning to Mobil 1 4T on my next change.

Both excellent oils, but I just can't justify the price of Motul at around $115. I should be able to procure Mobil 1 4T locally for around $60.

Ocean1
12th November 2010, 10:15
I should be able to procure Mobil 1 4T locally for around $60.

I was quoted $155.00. Trade. Yesterday.

gijoe1313
12th November 2010, 10:29
This is only the tip of the iceberg ... Gremlin will no doubt find some other weird and wacky way to run his bike! :blink:

Owl
12th November 2010, 11:14
I was quoted $155.00. Trade. Yesterday.

Bargain if you're getting 3 packs.:laugh: Anza have it for $108, local garage $79.95 and there's a mobile mechanical shop that sells it cheaper again.:yes:

Ocean1
12th November 2010, 14:03
Bargain if you're getting 3 packs.:laugh: Anza have it for $108, local garage $79.95 and there's a mobile mechanical shop that sells it cheaper again.:yes:

$244 for a 4 pack.

At that price he's got to be cracking full drums...

Taz
12th November 2010, 15:07
Caltex Delo 400.

davebullet
12th November 2010, 15:18
Out of interest, did you run in the KTM from new? If so - what technique did you use to run it in?

I think going for a thicker viscocity might come at the expense of proper lubrication and increased running temperatures. You might just have to carry some top up on the long trips, or go for new rings....

Owl
12th November 2010, 15:43
$244 for a 4 pack.

That's not bad at all!

At that price he's got to be cracking full drums...

I doubt it? He/they used to sell on Trademe and they do all sorts of Mobil lubricants in 1, 4, 20 and 200 ltr. The 4T was never available in anything other than a 1ltr or 4ltr. Judging by the size of their premises, this is no backyard business either.

I think it's more of a case of consumers getting tucked elsewhere!

Gremlin
12th November 2010, 16:44
Out of interest, did you run in the KTM from new? If so - what technique did you use to run it in?

I think going for a thicker viscocity might come at the expense of proper lubrication and increased running temperatures. You might just have to carry some top up on the long trips, or go for new rings....
Yep, bought her brand new. I used the manufacturer recommended specs re running it in. Varied the revs and load as much as possible (even staying off motorways for the ride home) and increasing the revs throughout the first thousand (but not over the recommended limit).

The oil usage is not abnormal to KTM, and there is nothing for alarm (it could actually be a bit higher), but with all the long trips, I'm finding it incredibly inconvenient, and the TT next year could be downright bad for the engine... got other things to think of during the ride, and I would rather oil is not one of the them.