PDA

View Full Version : Clutch cable - replacement

XP@
13th November 2010, 08:57
Hi,
After embarrassingly having to pull out of the C1KC with a badly frayed clutch cable (as a result of a so-so repair a couple of months ago which managed to only get me 10,000kms). I now have a shiny new cable which I am hoping will see me another few thou kms.

But when I was attaching it the lever end I'm not sure if i got it right. There is a flat round nipple with like a plastic collar on it. If I leave the collar in place it is really tight, requiring pliers to seat it and the nipple will not move. Alternatively remove the collar and it flops about with heaps of space.

Can anyone tell me if it is supposed to move?
And what is the plastic collar for?

Incidentally replacing the cable was easy (10 mins) as John Boyle suggested attaching a string to the old one, pulling it through. Then pulling the new cable back through with the string. Hey presto the route stays the same!

imdying
15th November 2010, 10:46
Yes it should move. The plastic collar is lubricant impregnated plastic (i.e. it's just a low friction plastic) which helps it swivel nicely. Perhaps the cable isn't right, perhaps the end has been replaced with something too big, perhaps the lever is typical aftermarket Chinese shit. Or perhaps a combination of those things. Either way, grind the end down a little, so that it swivels with the plastic bit on it. 2 minutes with a bench grinder.

XP@
21st November 2010, 08:55
Cheers for that :-)
done - as you said - 2 mins on bench grinder much better now.

It was supposed to be a genuine replacement ...

Yes it should move. The plastic collar is lubricant impregnated plastic (i.e. it's just a low friction plastic) which helps it swivel nicely. Perhaps the cable isn't right, perhaps the end has been replaced with something too big, perhaps the lever is typical aftermarket Chinese shit. Or perhaps a combination of those things. Either way, grind the end down a little, so that it swivels with the plastic bit on it. 2 minutes with a bench grinder.