PDA

View Full Version : Clutch rattle, maybe... or something else?

e-a-m-o-n
13th November 2010, 10:31
Ahoy all,

Just joined this site so bear with me.. Brought a 92 fzx 250 zeal a few weeks ago and has developed some type of engine rattle (well maybe its developed or maybe I was just buzzing at having a new bike and didnt notice it at first).

Anyway-the noise, id call it a rattle/light grinding noise. When idling in gear i can hear it but it disappears as I let the clutch out and start to put some load on. Also if in neutral and let the clutch out it gets quite a bit worse (more of a grind) and can actually feel it vibrating through the bars and foot rest. I thought it might have been a loose cam chain but got the tensioner checked out last week and that seems to be all good. So maby something to do with the clutch?? thrust bearing? loose gear cogs?

Whata ya reckon?? ta

Murray
13th November 2010, 10:33
So it rattles when idling but you bring the clutch in it goes away? Sounds like clutch springs are worn

e-a-m-o-n
13th November 2010, 15:37
it doesnt go away fully when clutch is pulled in, only when the bike has actualy started moving. If i dismantle the clutch would it be obvious if the springs are worn or would i just have to replace them and test them out?
cheers

KiwiNinja
14th November 2010, 08:51
Does the vibration/rattle/grind get any worse or better when the bike warms up?

And if you were to pick one which would it be.
1. Vibration.
2. Rattle.
3. Grinding.
Because each of them are very different....

e-a-m-o-n
14th November 2010, 17:10
naa no change when the bike warms up. I guess id call it more of a grind than a rattle but im finding it pritty hard to define it as either.. the vibration i get through the handle bars(not just the normal bike vibration) feels like theres something grinding away down there, but as i said thats only prevalent when the bikes idling in neutral with clutch out