PDA

View Full Version : Rotor puller for xt 600?

thepom
21st November 2010, 16:25
Any body got a puller I can borrow to get my rotor off my xt600 87 model kickstart?....there will be beer involved...

thepom
23rd November 2010, 16:44
Got one from work and came off easy, I ll do a quick history of what I,m doing.

Got an 87 yamaha tenere 23l off a mate,it has had an 86 kickstart engine fitted due to the cases cracking on the original electric start engine.I am now pulling the engine aaprt tio find the problem.

Pulled it apart and on first inspection the counterbalance at one end is badly worn enough to cause a masssive imbalance hence the cracking cases.

The gear selector shaft is bent and third gear is heavily pitted which will cause it to whine (much like my missus)

I will attempt to clean the metal putty off the casings and check to see if I can have them welded and then source a new counterbalance or the bearing for it and do the gears and selector arm.

The original engine if it goes back will make it an outstanding machine as the newer the xt600 s became the more off road orientated they became.

The engine fitted now has problems too. Blown head gasket and fifth gear whine so if all else fails I ll pull that apart and see what I can do.

The engine in it now has much more torque than my 2002 xt600e but is sadly kickstart hence my desire to fix the original electric start engine and refit it.

Will update as I go for any one interested.

thepom
28th November 2010, 16:03
Right,as per my previous post about casings ,I decided to remove the head from my tenere and damn,can,t get the rocker cover off so looks like I ll have to remove the engine after all.

So the plan now is to remove the engine from my tenere and see if I can swap the casings and make an electric start for it.I have most of the bits so will strip it down,replace worn gears,swap casings and rebuid it....well thats the plan.

If not I will try to repair the original cracked casing,replace the worn gears and rebuid........