PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle simulator suggests training makes safer riders

Bob
3rd December 2010, 01:15
Research by the University of Nottingham in the UK on behalf of the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) indicates that training does make for safer riders.

The research was carried out using the University’s unique simulator. As previously reported in MCM, the simulator uses a Triumph Daytona 675 mounted on a custom rig designed and built at the University. Specially designed software projects a range of riding scenarios onto the screen.

Three different groups of riders were selected to be put through a range of scenarios on the simulator, as well as a range of laboratory tests designed to test their hazard perception and behaviour. According to the IAM, testing showed that advanced riders used better road positioning and made better progress than riders without formal training.

Dr Alex Stedmon from the University’s Human Factors Research Group, said: "This is one of the most in-depth studies of its kind ever conducted. Whilst experience seems to help develop rider skills to an extent, advanced training appears to develop deeper levels of awareness, perception and responsibility. It also appears to make riders better urban riders and quicker, smoother and safer riders in rural settings."

Dr David Crundall from the School of Psychology added: "This is real cutting edge research and the hazard perception results, in particular, have shown that advanced riders were quicker to identify hazards and had a greater awareness on their responsibility to themselves and other road users."

A full report of the findings is due in December 2010.

psycho22
3rd December 2010, 01:27
Interesting read.

I still think it would be good to introduce an advanced riding/driving course instead of a defensive driving course that teachs you practically nothing.

Pascal
3rd December 2010, 08:05
According to the IAM, testing showed that advanced riders used better road positioning and made better progress than riders without formal training.

In related news, scientists recently discovered water is wet. While it is valuable to have evidence that this is indeed the case common sense tells me that somebody who is trained in something will perform better than somebody who is not trained.

george formby
3rd December 2010, 09:57
I've had this as a pet peeve for years, more for cars than bike's, good simulators are already out their thanks to the massive gaming market. I started thinking about it when the Sega rally games appeared in arcades (:facepalm:). You can learn to fly space shuttles, helicopters, jumbo jets etc on simulators but they are not used for driver education. Obviously it would cost a fortune but i reckon doing a licence refresher every 5 or ten years on a simulator which actually tests you on real world hazards would have a huge positive impact on road safety. Night driving, ice, gravel, vehicles pulling out would be a mandatory part of the test.

The cheaper & just as effective option would be a 6 inch steel spike on the steering wheel.

I guess all the technology is their now for bike simulators too, same hydraulic systems, wrap around screens & screeds of data from racing bikes for accurate dynamics. I would have one in the living room:yes:

Usarka
3rd December 2010, 10:29
In related news, scientists recently discovered water is wet. While it is valuable to have evidence that this is indeed the case common sense tells me that somebody who is trained in something will perform better than somebody who is not trained.

The belief by the powers that be is that advanced training makes people go faster, and faster = death. Therefore enforcement is a much better idea.

Matt Bleck
3rd December 2010, 10:42
The belief by the powers that be is that advanced training makes people go faster, and faster = death. Therefore enforcement is a much better idea.

I would like to know how a simulator simulates G forces? :blink:

ckai
3rd December 2010, 10:46
I've had this as a pet peeve for years, more for cars than bike's, good simulators are already out their thanks to the massive gaming market. I started thinking about it when the Sega rally games appeared in arcades (:facepalm:). You can learn to fly space shuttles, helicopters, jumbo jets etc on simulators but they are not used for driver education. Obviously it would cost a fortune but i reckon doing a licence refresher every 5 or ten years on a simulator which actually tests you on real world hazards would have a huge positive impact on road safety. Night driving, ice, gravel, vehicles pulling out would be a mandatory part of the test.

Gotta agree with you here. How much cheaper and faster would it be to have a simulator set up at testing facilities. Jump on the eye tester then on the sim and go through a random course. Checks that you know your road rules, following distant, correctly bloody indicate at a bloody round about etc. The sim gives you a score and you're all good. You could even have a tester watching you.

Hell, the cheaper option is using software like Waikato Uni developed for young drivers. It stops and asks you about hazards. You could add in other features like indicating at certain times etc.

I saw that bike sim on vid I think in Youtube. It was pretty cool but they said they needed to make the movement better. It was a bloody bulky bugger.

george formby
3rd December 2010, 11:05
Gotta agree with you here. How much cheaper and faster would it be to have a simulator set up at testing facilities. Jump on the eye tester then on the sim and go through a random course. Checks that you know your road rules, following distant, correctly bloody indicate at a bloody round about etc. The sim gives you a score and you're all good. You could even have a tester watching you.

Hell, the cheaper option is using software like Waikato Uni developed for young drivers. It stops and asks you about hazards. You could add in other features like indicating at certain times etc.

I saw that bike sim on vid I think in Youtube. It was pretty cool but they said they needed to make the movement better. It was a bloody bulky bugger.

Business & ACC could get all George Orwell on it if insurance was mandatory. You stick your licence in the machine, follow the route, your score is assessed & when your licence pops out your insurance & ACC premium is adjusted according to your performance. I guess we would end up with 8 year old's being in credit with that system.

wysper
3rd December 2010, 11:34
[QUOTE=Pascal;1129923298While it is valuable to have evidence that this is indeed the case common sense tells me that somebody who is trained in something will perform better than somebody who is not trained.[/QUOTE]

Depending on the quality of the training.

NordieBoy
3rd December 2010, 15:12
I would like to know how a simulator simulates G forces? :blink:

Badly ?

Katman
3rd December 2010, 20:58
instead of a defensive driving course that teachs you practically nothing.

Boy have you got a lesson awaiting you next time you stop in.

:whistle:

Bob
3rd December 2010, 21:58
This is an old video (dates from 2008), showing the first public appearance of the simulator used for the study - remember, these are science geeks not used to appearing in public/daylight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kEEHoJ3KP0

psycho22
4th December 2010, 00:03
Boy have you got a lesson awaiting you next time you stop in.

:whistle:

S'allright I could probably do with it - It's been awhile since my last one.

And I'd be happy to discuss the appalling course that Taupo provides with you.

I would assume not every instructor teaches the same stuff but I couldn't believe what little they actually taught my group.

psycho22
4th December 2010, 00:08
Oh and I can bring my little book that taught me

L is for light, which can hurt when it's bright.
R is for rain, which can be a pain.
Etc,Etc

Banditbandit
8th December 2010, 14:35

Yeah .. that was my reaction - tell me something I don't know ..