PDA

View Full Version : GN250 gears are clunky

Alex Wong
3rd December 2010, 08:04
Hello all
I've had a 2004 gn250 for a couple of months now and its gears a bit clunky, 1 and 2nd especially, 2nd being a complete bitch at times. They're only clunky sometimes so maybe too little oil? checked the gauge yesterday, cold (did a filter and oil change a month ago) and its at the right level, when i start the bike the level goes right down, is that normal?

any experiences with the this kind of thing or gn's in particular shall be welcomed.

White trash
3rd December 2010, 08:10
Drive chain's too loose sonny. Sort it out.

Alex Wong
3rd December 2010, 10:27
could it be a home jobby or perhaps a bit too much for amateur workshop biz

White trash
3rd December 2010, 11:24
could it be a home jobby or perhaps a bit too much for amateur workshop biz

Piece of piss mate. Have you an owners hand book? (Supplied with the bike when new)

Chuck the bike on its centre stand.

Loosen the rear axle nut.

Use the adjuster bolts at the very rear of the swingarm to move the rear wheel backwards slightly by tightening them. Ensure you move both sides equally.

Desired chain tension should have a few centimeters of up and down slackness with rider weight ON the bike. You will need to spin the rear wheel a few revolutions to determine whether or not there is a "tight spot" in the chain.

Don't forget to retighten the axle nut, then recheck the chain tension as it can change after the axle is tightened.

Katman
3rd December 2010, 11:35
Desired chain tension should have a few centimeters of up and down slackness with rider weight ON the bike. With the bike off the centre stand

I know you know what you're talking about WT but it pays to spell it out for others.

White trash
3rd December 2010, 11:37
I know you know what you're talking about WT but it pays to spell it out for others.

Whoops. Thanks for that.