PDA

View Full Version : Electric superbike to compete against petrol bikes

Bob
11th December 2010, 01:26
SWIGZ.COM Pro Rracing has announced that their electric racebike will make history by competing directly against conventional petrol-powered bikes in January 2011, in a professionally organised road race.

SWIGZ owner and rider Chip Yates said "We have to thank WERA Motorcycle Roadracing for inviting us into their series to make history with this news. Our electric motorcycle will compete head on with real racing superbikes such as the Ducati 1198 and KTM RC8 as well as other established manufacturers, and we expect to work hard to show the world that electric technology can achieve laptime parity with gasoline superbikes. We're not going on track to make up the numbers; we're going out to compete in order to raise our game and catch up to these gasoline guys."

The SWIGZ bike – recently excluded from the FIM and TTXGP series for being ‘too heavy’ at 266kg (FIM/TTXGP rules state a maximum 250kg) – is also aiming to be, by February, the most powerful road racing motorcycle of any kind. Yates added "Our scheduled power increase (20% on top of the bike’s existing 194bhp) will make our electric superbike more powerful than a MotoGP bike and will bring us extremely close to power to weight parity with the best 1,000cc Japanese superbikes. Those two facts are a simply outstanding reflection of the potential in electric power."

Brian d marge
11th December 2010, 01:44
Support this bike

i get all warm and fuzzy with electric bikes ,,,,,may even buy one myself soon

Go that man !

Stephen

Dave-
12th December 2010, 14:47
waste of time developing electric motorcycles.

NordieBoy
12th December 2010, 19:12
They've competed successfully against normal off road bikes.

R6_kid
12th December 2010, 20:57
W3I3YZ9if10

Brian d marge
13th December 2010, 01:49
whooaaaa dem big ears

poor sod

Stephen

Nutter34
23rd December 2010, 20:07
It's all fine and well having a 1:1 power to weight ratio but at about 60-70kg's more than a superbike, it's gonna shred tyres. It'll be interesting to see what they do about 'traction control', otherwise it'll be highside city.

I think they are being a bit ambitious if they think they'll last a race and be at the pointy end, specially if you consider the Isle of Man TTX races.

Kickaha
23rd December 2010, 20:14
I think they are being a bit ambitious if they think they'll last a race and be at the pointy end, specially if you consider the Isle of Man TTX races.

1 lap race and 98mph average this year, they'll crack 100mph easy next year

They'd easily last NZ national length races but as yet they wouldn't be on the pace of the Superbikes

MattRSK
23rd December 2010, 21:01
I watch this with interest.

Nutter34
23rd December 2010, 21:13
Another player for TTX...

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/750/8725/Motorcycle-Article/Mission-R-Electric-Superbike-First-Look.aspx

The MotoCzyzs was pretty close, wonder if they'll remain top-dog next year, or if someone will trounce them, like they did the previous winners.

blackdog
23rd December 2010, 21:30
another contender?
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Custom%20Bikes/mission_r_electric.htm
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Custom%20Bikes/Mission%20R%20Electric%20Racing.jpg

Bob
14th January 2011, 01:17
Following on from the original announcement:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/132005-Electric-superbike-to-compete-against-petrol-bikes?highlight=swigz

The SWIGZ Racing team has famously recorded two podium finishes for their electric superbike, in their first races against gasoline-powered racebikes.

Chip Yates took third place in the first WERA Heavyweight Twins Superstock race, going one better with second in the second race of the day. Topping this was Yates recording the fastest lap in the second race at 1:39.792 with a top speed of 158mph.

Yates said: “We had to overcome technical difficulties on Saturday but we fixed everything and came back Sunday to score two podiums, a huge top speed, and post competitive gasoline bike lap times with no further technical issues to slow us down. What a humbling experience for our small team to develop and build a superbike that can beat gasoline bikes from the top manufacturers on their own terms - I was nearly brought to tears as I crossed the finish line both times!”

NordieBoy
15th January 2011, 10:19
Brilliant :niceone: