PDA

View Full Version : ZXR250 cam chain

Ultrasonic2
17th December 2010, 10:57
Hi there guys I believe my cam chain is abit loose. I would like to check the tensioner and I was wondering how I would go about this as in where do I access it from ? the service manual doesn’t say much about it ?

Ultrasonic2
21st December 2010, 18:30
Ok well i've been reading the service manual and it clears up a few things

The cam tensioner is NOT automatic and therefore needs to be adjusted . the cam tensioner is in fact semi automatic

The manual says this

Loosen the stopper screw about 2mm and then tighten it

With the bolt loose the stiff spring inside takes up any slack automatically

Now once you tighten the screw as advised the cam tensioner is then unable to add and more tensioner. So when the screw is loose it automatically tesnsions, but once the bolt is done up it will no longer apply additional tension.

Oh the tesnsioner and nut are on the right side of the bike by the clutch on the gear box. there is a whole in the faring so you can loosen the screw with the fairings on.

i have done the above and will let you "future" reads know how it went. Im a bit dubious about how well it will actually work, as it's probably seized up after 20 years and may need to be broken down or of cores replaced.

JUST STARTIN
26th July 2011, 15:47
Interseted to know how you got on ive got the same problem

Ultrasonic2
25th October 2011, 19:22
i replaced the cam chain and tensioner

though im still not sure it was actually necessary to change the chain . it would seem that the tensioner spring would just get weaker over the years so that maybe all thats actually needed to be replaced. i should measure the old chain to see if it's still within specs some time