PDA

View Full Version : Running on less than 1-2 cylinders?

Cam_Valk
30th December 2010, 18:27
Hey guys.
Pretty new on these parts, and i need your help.

I recently cleaned my spark plugs from all the black soot that was on there.
And after i reassembled everything, it fails to start.
With the clutch in, 1/8th throttle on, and electric start, i get a strange popping sound from the engine, and a refusal to start.

So therefore i tried to push start it and see if it would turn over.
And when it did start to turn over, it seemed like it was running very low.
As in, i was getting no where with the throttle wide open, but the engine was indeed running, maybe on 1-2 cylinders?

Any Ideas Guys?

Thanks
Cameron

FJRider
30th December 2010, 18:32
Home maintainence rule No: 1 ...

If it works ... DONT FUCK WITH IT ...

just check plug leads are on the CORRECT cylinder ....

robinm
30th December 2010, 18:33
Are your sure that you have the correct plug leads on the correct plug?. Each of your coils has 2 plug leads, 1 coil fires cylinder no1 and no4, the other coil fires cyinders 2 and 3. The symptoms you describe suggests that you may have put the wrong leads on the wrong plugs.

FJRider
30th December 2010, 18:47
... you may have put the wrong leads on the wrong plugs.

why didn't I think of that ... :innocent:

Cam_Valk
30th December 2010, 18:54
Awesome, the engine now runs.

BUT

The revs almost die immediately upon closing the throttle.

Argh....

FJRider
30th December 2010, 18:59
they are supposed to ... if it cuts out, adjust the idle speed ...

Cam_Valk
30th December 2010, 19:03
Sorry that i didnt make it clear, but the revs die and the engine cuts out straightaway.

And the throttle response is slower than before.
Could this be related to the spark plugs?

bogan
30th December 2010, 19:12
Hey guys.
Pretty new on these parts, and i need your help.

I recently cleaned my spark plugs from all the black soot that was on there.
And after i reassembled everything, it fails to start.
With the clutch in, 1/8th throttle on, and electric start, i get a strange popping sound from the engine, and a refusal to start.

So therefore i tried to push start it and see if it would turn over.
And when it did start to turn over, it seemed like it was running very low.
As in, i was getting no where with the throttle wide open, but the engine was indeed running, maybe on 1-2 cylinders?

Any Ideas Guys?

Thanks
Cameron

how much soot you talking, like are the carbs tuned wrong? and did you adjust the gap by accident when you cleaned them? also, just buy some new plugs, cleaning them doesn't work too well in my experience.

Cam_Valk
30th December 2010, 19:27
When I was cleaning them I was not too harsh as to readjust the height.
I might as well go buy some new plugs.
And it was only a little bit of soot
But any other ideas guys?

bogan
30th December 2010, 19:36
When I was cleaning them I was not too harsh as to readjust the height.
I might as well go buy some new plugs.
But any other ideas guys?

the carb tuning....

on older bikes it's possible for the jets to wear enough to change their size, or a number of other factors could affect it, the fact that you had to clean off soot deposits suggests something ain't right. I'm no expert at reading plugs, but those who are can tell a lot about the state of an engine by taking a squiz.

Cam_Valk
30th December 2010, 19:41
Hmmm.
I just want the bike to return to its working state before I clean the sparkplugs.
Would replacing the sparkplugs solve this issue of the engine cutting out?

bogan
30th December 2010, 19:51
Hmmm.
I just want the bike to return to its working state before I clean the sparkplugs.
Would replacing the sparkplugs solve this issue of the engine cutting out?

it's possible it would if the old plugs were leading to a weak spark, you could pop one out and do a visual check on the spark. Is it possible theres a kinked fuel hose or somthing simple that happend when you got to the plugs? Some IL4s are pretty hard to get at the plugs.

Juzz976
30th December 2010, 20:25
Spark plugs seated properly?

Sometimes the washers don't sit flat and stop the plug screwing completely in....

pete376403
30th December 2010, 22:20
If the "dying on closed throttle " is something that has only started happening since you had the plugs out - go back over what you did. Did you have to remove the tank? Did you have to disconnect any hoses or wires? (and if so - did you put them back again?)

If the tank was off, it is possible you have disturbed water or crud in the tank that is now in the carbs. There are drain screws in the bottom of the float bowls. You could remove one or two and see what comes out - catch the fuel in a container, see if there are small globules of water in it.

if so your problem just became quite a bit more complicated.