PDA

View Full Version : Clutch slip question

BuzzardNZ
8th January 2011, 19:34
Took the bike out today and decided to open her up in 2nd, somewhere around 8-9k rpm under hard acceleration it felt like I had pulled in the clutch as the revs shot up but didn't feel like the bike was accelerating enough to match the increase in revs, or I spun up the rear, which I don't think I did. Later on I tried this again, but in 3rd, same thing happened at about the same rev range. I tried to reproduce the problem again, but couldn't. I have newish tyres ( only about 1500kms on them ) and the road I was riding on was dry and in good condition. I changed my oil and filter about 2 weeks ago, but used the same non synthetic stuff I've always used.

Not having experienced a clutch slip before ( if thats what it was ), I'm wondering if clutch slips typically occur at a certain rev range or under aggressive acceleration or when a clutch slips, does it do it all the time?

My clutch feels the same as it always has, and the bike behaves normally when I ride it in a more sedate manner.

I hope someone can help answer these questions, as I only have about 14000kms on the bike and hope the plates are not screwed already.

TimeOut
8th January 2011, 21:00
Sounds like a slipping clutch.

Is the oil a motor bike specific oil? if not that could be your problem.

Have you checked clutch adjustment?

BuzzardNZ
8th January 2011, 21:18
yeah, the oil is the same stuff the bike shop used when they changed it, so I'm sure it's not oil related.

Clutch play seems fine. What I don't understand is that it seems intermittent and when it does happen it's only under load on aggressive acceleration and only at a certain rev range. What I want to know is if this is the typical symptoms of a slipping clutch or could it be something else?

TimeOut
8th January 2011, 21:40
yeah, the oil is the same stuff the bike shop used when they changed it, so I'm sure it's not oil related.

Clutch play seems fine. What I don't understand is that it seems intermittent and when it does happen it's only under load on aggressive acceleration and only at a certain rev range. What I want to know is if this is the typical symptoms of a slipping clutch or could it be something else?

Sounds typical it'll gradually get worse i.e start slipping at lower revs/load.

What puzzles me is the bike hasn't many k's to have a slipping clutch, unless it's had a lot of stop start running.

steve_t
8th January 2011, 21:54
A quick google search found this thread

http://www.wisconsinsportbikes.net/public_html/forums/showthread.php?t=9122

which basically has someone in the same boat as you. They persisted and the clutch came right. They suspect the oil was indeed too slippery initially even though it was Suzuki brand part synthetic :blink:

BuzzardNZ
8th January 2011, 22:19
A quick google search found this thread

http://www.wisconsinsportbikes.net/public_html/forums/showthread.php?t=9122

which basically has someone in the same boat as you. They persisted and the clutch came right. They suspect the oil was indeed too slippery initially even though it was Suzuki brand part synthetic :blink:

Hey mate, thanks for that link. It could be oil related, as I have only just changed it 2 weeks ago ( even though mines not synthetic ). Guess I'll give it a few more K's and see if the problem persists.

Max Preload
9th January 2011, 00:19
What is the specific oil? (Out of consideration for others, who might have similar slippage and conditions).

BuzzardNZ
9th January 2011, 00:47
What is the specific oil? (Out of consideration for others, who might have similar slippage and conditions).

sorry, forgotten and couldn't tell ya, but perhaps some of the guys from Wellington Motorcycles could chime in and say, as I got it from them on their recommendation.