PDA

View Full Version : How to check oil level?

lil-Vulky
14th January 2011, 15:23
Um not sure if there is a thread about oil changes or not. this place hard to find your way around :P

but does anyone know where to check the engine oil level on a honda cbr 250 rr

lil-Vulky
14th January 2011, 15:34
ok so i found a thread same as this lol.
my other question is. the dipstick which iv been checking the oil from that is the engine oil?

or is there a gearbox oil dip stick and a engine oil dip stick?

just not sure if im checking the gearbox oil or the engine oil thats all.

onearmedbandit
14th January 2011, 16:26
On that bike, and many many others, the engine oil is the same as the gearbox oil.

lil-Vulky
14th January 2011, 16:53
On that bike, and many many others, the engine oil is the same as the gearbox oil.

ok thank you very much, just wasn't sure as my last bike had a seperate thing for checking engine oil.
my oil is crystal clear looks brand new =DDD

MSTRS
14th January 2011, 17:07
But how's the level?
To check, you need to unscrew the cap/dipstick - clean - put it back without screwing it in - then check oil is just to the top of the cross-hatched section. Bike must be sitting level, too. ie not on side stand.

davebullet
14th January 2011, 18:51
But how's the level?
To check, you need to unscrew the cap/dipstick - clean - put it back without screwing it in - then check oil is just to the top of the cross-hatched section. Bike must be sitting level, too. ie not on side stand.

For a CBR250RR that might be true. Just for the sake of others reading this - check your owners manual. For example the 1050 Speed Triple - you need to screw the dipstick fully home when checking the level.

MSTRS
15th January 2011, 07:55
Good point. Having a sightglass is SSOOO much easier...

Owl
15th January 2011, 13:16

Ain't that the truth!:(

lil-Vulky
15th January 2011, 14:53
But how's the level?

the level is fine and yes i did have bike sitting level and checked properly.

the last owner done a oil change 3months ago. bike must run good for oil to look clear like new after 3months :P

george formby
15th January 2011, 15:02

Not always, the sight glass on TDM's is often referred to as the window of mystery

FJRider
15th January 2011, 15:34
the level is fine and yes i did have bike sitting level and checked properly.

the last owner done a oil change 3months ago. bike must run good for oil to look clear like new after 3months :P

Depends a lot more on how far the bike has traveled since the oil change ...

SMOKEU
15th January 2011, 22:21
These bikes LOVE fresh oil. Change the oil and filter at least every 4,000km with some semi synthetic bike oil. Remember that the washer sits between the spring and the oil filter!

davebullet
16th January 2011, 07:16

Triumph eliminated this as an option, as it gives the british bike yet another place to leak oil :eek: