PDA

View Full Version : Does SMC actually do group rides?

Camshaft
17th January 2011, 08:50
i signed up at 0 week ( beginning 2010 ) and have not recieved one word regarding a group ride or get together????

oracle
17th January 2011, 09:52
i signed up at 0 week ( beginning 2010 ) and have not recieved one word regarding a group ride or get together????

Come along to a chiller and get to know people then you can organise one yourself :)

Slyer
17th January 2011, 10:35
We have a get together every Friday dude. :)
We did a week long bike trip a month ago which kinda satisfied my need for group rides for a while haha. Keen for another one though.

superman
17th January 2011, 11:32
I shall sign up at this years O week since I now have a bike. :bleh:

Camshaft
17th January 2011, 11:57
thats gud, when and where r these meets???. should organise a ride b4 semester starts.

Squiggles
17th January 2011, 14:44

PM me your email address (or email me it at sdod021 AT aucklanduni DOT ac DOT nz), the one I have has been bouncing...

motorbyclist
17th January 2011, 18:16

the fact is that in 2010, very few rides were organised. Things might get better this year, but we'll have to see.

Thani-B
17th January 2011, 18:37

And I organise events/get togethers every now and then. Check out the thread in my sig for more details. I'm also planning on organising more rides this year, but you could always join the ATNR or SATNR if you are keen for a ride with other bikes. I used to go on SATNR every week. I really must start doing that again...

Camshaft
18th January 2011, 07:57
yea, i went to west auckland thursday nite ride but i dnt no if i went on an off night but it was a bunch of old dudes on big cruisers going 80 and a few 250s also goin 80 on straight bits of open road.
that kinda put me off.
roads like scenic drive r nice where u can push ur bike without breaking the speed limit

Thani-B
18th January 2011, 10:55
SATNR is mainly older guys, but most on sports bikes and they definitely aren't slow. We don't have the same cop problem that the ATNR seems to have.

Camshaft
18th January 2011, 12:20
where does the south 1 leave from???

Thani-B
18th January 2011, 12:41
It leaves from the BP/Autobahn service centre on the motorway by Papakura. Meet 6pm leave 6.30pm. But they will generally wait if they know you are coming.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/35572-South-Auckland-Thursday-Night-Ride

And the weekend ride
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/106309-South-Auckland-Riders-Saturday-Auckland-Ride

TIBLE_90
11th May 2011, 08:34
So there are no weekly rides? I have been a member since 09 and it seems that you guys don't do all that much. I understand there is a Friday night chiller however I am usually busy on Fridays. It would be nice if active members used this forum in order to post up potential rides, at least I would find that helpful. There is also a facebook page for this club, and its pretty much dead, if there are no other ride notices except the ones at the chiller there will never be big group rides since only those same people that regularly attend the chiller will know about them.

I have found over the past 3 years that all this club pretty much does is sort out parking for Bikes and scooters on campus, although this is important I find that there should be a lot more to a motorcycle club than that.

Hanne
11th May 2011, 11:14
So there are no weekly rides? I have been a member since 09 and it seems that you guys don't do all that much. I understand there is a Friday night chiller however I am usually busy on Fridays. It would be nice if active members used this forum in order to post up potential rides, at least I would find that helpful. There is also a facebook page for this club, and its pretty much dead, if there are no other ride notices except the ones at the chiller there will never be big group rides since only those same people that regularly attend the chiller will know about them.

I have found over the past 3 years that all this club pretty much does is sort out parking for Bikes and scooters on campus, although this is important I find that there should be a lot more to a motorcycle club than that.

Hi Tible,

I would agree with you there.
In 07/08 the club was very active, with rides every few weekends. The issue is that many of the founding members have moved on and no one has stepped up to fill their shoes, particularly in terms of ride organisation. We have a new president but had a very low turnout the the AGM so don't know what people actually want from the club.

Anyone who has an idea for a ride is able to send out the info to all members via our mailing list, if you have an idea and want to lead a ride or are looking for someone who could lead that ride post it here or let me know and I can email it out. Again, we need new people coming through and taking the club in the direction they want it to go.

A few idea that have been mooted:
coffee ride
gravel ride
coromandel loop
rogaine/ scavenger hunt (this will probably be a week into semester 2 right after the sign up stand)

Keep an eye on here for last minute rides, and please, anyone who wants others to know about their ride idea, let us know so we can email it out.
What does everyone WANT to do?

Hanne

Ixion
11th May 2011, 13:04
Well, I ride some weekends, and , over the next few months I'll prolly be doing some week day rides too. Anyone is always welcome to come along.

But, I don't do organisation. I don't lead anything, I don't organise anything, I ain't in charge of anything, or anybody. And I seldom know where I'm intending to go, and when I do know I usually end up somewhere else, or somewhen else (not necessarily in the same dimension).

And I ride my own ride regardless of anyone else. Generally , as everyone knows, I am slower than your Nanna's Nanna, and I don't particularly understand speed limits (the numbers I get - it's these silly metrijiggle units of measure that I can't be arsed about, so I assume everything is miles per hour. Works for me) . But I'm happy to have learners tag along, if they let me know in advance, cos then I take a different bike, and keep the speed down to learner confidence levels.

Oh, and I don't do early mornings. 10am is early. SMC time continuum is fine by me.

I ride wet or fine. Except tornadoes. I've decided to draw a line there . If you want tornadoes count me out.

TIBLE_90
11th May 2011, 14:58
Oh I see, what a shame that is. Well I would be interested in organizing and leading some rides I ride every weeken usually unless there is bad weather. I can also do some weekday rides perhapse but I think weekends would be best as most people are free then. I would prefer in organizing rides with other sport bike riders who are able to keep up, but won't discriminate against any learners who wish to tag along. I'll be in touch about where and when, and thanks for youre reply.

:)

Squiggles
11th May 2011, 16:35
Oh I see, what a shame that is. Well I would be interested in organizing and leading some rides I ride every weeken usually unless there is bad weather. I can also do some weekday rides perhapse but I think weekends would be best as most people are free then. I would prefer in organizing rides with other sport bike riders who are able to keep up, but won't discriminate against any learners who wish to tag along. I'll be in touch about where and when, and thanks for youre reply.

Sweet :rockon:

PirateJafa
11th May 2011, 18:56

Gee wizz, I hope that my plodding, sluggish thumper can keep up with you young'ns and your awe-inspiring ninja powerhouses.

Am keen as hell for a ride though.

TIBLE_90
11th May 2011, 22:29
Gee wizz, I hope that my plodding, sluggish thumper can keep up with you young'ns and your awe-inspiring ninja powerhouses.

Am keen as hell for a ride though.

??? is there any need for you're sarcasm?

TIBLE_90
11th May 2011, 22:32
hahaha didn't see that last part till after I posted. Sweet, will try and get a ride organized as soon as this rain stops.

I was thinking of going North to Wellsford, there are some good twisties up there and can usually have some good fun as long as there aren't too many cars around.

It's nice to see that there is actually a decent amount of interest in group rides

jono035
11th May 2011, 22:38
??? is there any need for you're sarcasm?

Suggesting that a sports bike would be needed to keep up was probably asking for it, although that's mostly just Jafa being Jafa...

I'd be keen for a bit of a ride some time, too. Should have the bike back on the road soon, have been missing it pretty bad.

Edit: Jafa - that indicator I got off you met an untimely demise thanks to an old lady in CP36... Sigh.

Sy
11th May 2011, 23:11
I'm keen as for a ride this weekend if anyone else is too. I think the weather is supposed to improve as the week goes on.
I badly want to loose my corro loop virginity :D

TIBLE_90
12th May 2011, 08:56
Haha yea prob was asking for it. Yea I'm keen for a ride Saturday if the weather stays nice. How much time would be needed in organizing a ride? like how many days notice should I give etc.

Hanne
12th May 2011, 10:45
However many you want. Can send out a notice the day before but people might be busy, 2 weeks seems to work quite well but can't guarantee the weather. One option to put out a preliminary date 2 weeks in advance and confirm closer when we are reasonably certain it's not going to tornado on us...

TIBLE_90
12th May 2011, 17:32
However many you want. Can send out a notice the day before but people might be busy, 2 weeks seems to work quite well but can't guarantee the weather. One option to put out a preliminary date 2 weeks in advance and confirm closer when we are reasonably certain it's not going to tornado on us...

Sounds good, I'll keep that in mind. What kind of bikes do you all ride? I ride an 06 ninja 636 :), def prefer it over my old ninja 250 haha

Camshaft
12th May 2011, 20:40
keen as also, and maybe if there are a few guys with big bikes, we can form a quik and a slow group (for the learners) and have a few planned catch up points

EJK
12th May 2011, 20:52
Sounds good, I'll keep that in mind. What kind of bikes do you all ride? I ride an 06 ninja 636 :), def prefer it over my old ninja 250 haha

Just a little heads up, since you are a fast rider, watch out for "Squiggles". He is the president of the club (also the current SK, Street King). He is nicknamed "Squiggles" because that's how he ride through the twisties. Fast.
Defeat him in a race (if you can) and hopefully, you'll claim the title Street King.

...and who knows? You might become the next president of Auckland Uni SMC.

Good luck.

Squiggles
12th May 2011, 23:05
Just a little heads up, since you are a fast rider, watch out for "Squiggles". He is the president of the club (also the current SK, Street King). He is nicknamed "Squiggles" because that's how he ride through the twisties. Fast.
Defeat him in a race (if you can) and hopefully, you'll claim the title Street King.

Good luck.

Simon defeated me :crybaby: and now holds the title of president :woohoo:

TIBLE_90
13th May 2011, 08:47
keen as also, and maybe if there are a few guys with big bikes, we can form a quik and a slow group (for the learners) and have a few planned catch up points

Great idea

TIBLE_90
13th May 2011, 08:48

Good luck.

Haha, I guess I'll be practicing my twisties before befora I challenge the street king :)

Camshaft
13th May 2011, 09:01
so is something on for sat??? keen as, what duration were you guys looking at, maybe a ride to huia for fish and chips, thn go scenic drive and disperse at swanson?

and has a new location for this friday chiller thing being established, i remember hearing it was at level4 of kate then aut's bar??

Squiggles
13th May 2011, 10:32
so is something on for sat??? keen as, what duration were you guys looking at, maybe a ride to huia for fish and chips, thn go scenic drive and disperse at swanson?

and has a new location for this friday chiller thing being established, i remember hearing it was at level4 of kate then aut's bar??

Strata on level 4 but if thats closed we go to vesbar at AUT

TIBLE_90
13th May 2011, 11:42

Nothing has been formally set up. However I'm keen for a ride on Sat, I was thinking going up to Wellsford and back quite a lot of good twisties along that road and can usually travel at speed :)

I was thinking of starting saturday rides. So that there is a ride every saturday starting at 10 AM. But I was wanting to give at least a weeks notice so I could get maximum interest. That being said I'm still keen for this Sat if anyone else is. Duration wise I was thinking 1-2 hours.

Sy
13th May 2011, 14:39
I am keen as for a decent ride. Where are you meeting?

Sy
13th May 2011, 14:44
I was thinking of starting saturday rides. So that there is a ride every saturday starting at 10 AM.

That sounds like a great idea. :D I am definately keen to join you.

TIBLE_90
13th May 2011, 14:55
I am keen as for a decent ride. Where are you meeting?

If we go to Wellsford, I was thinking of meeting at the shell station at the Northcross shops

Sy
13th May 2011, 20:22
What time are you meeting at Shell?

TIBLE_90
14th May 2011, 02:48
What time are you meeting at Shell?

10 AM, dont know how many people are interested though.

Sy
14th May 2011, 09:00
Dam, don't think I can make it. I will have to catch you another time for a ride.

TIBLE_90
14th May 2011, 09:03
Dam, don't think I can make it. I will have to catch you another time for a ride.

ok, no problem. There will be another ride next sat same time. Will have a think of where to go then.

TIBLE_90
14th May 2011, 13:12
Ride was amazing, found a new road with lots and lost of twisties:woohoo:
there was no traffic and it was just amazing, 50 km's worth of awesome twisties.

If any one is keen for next sat I think I'm gona do that again. Went with a friend on a zx10 today and I am just as fast, if not faster than him on the back roads :)

Thani-B
15th May 2011, 14:37
Went with a friend on a zx10 today and I am just as fast, if not faster than him on the back roads :)

Because that is the most important thing :pinch:

TIBLE_90
15th May 2011, 16:55
Because that is the most important thing :pinch:

umm...did I say it was? It is fun to ride fast, and it helps knowing that you can ride as hard as you want and the others can keep up. This way you don't have to worry about them.

EJK
15th May 2011, 22:40
umm...did I say it was? It is fun to ride fast, and it helps knowing that you can ride as hard as you want and the others can keep up. This way you don't have to worry about them.

Sounds like you had a blastful ride. It's good to hear that you on a 600 ninja is as fast (or faster) than your mate on a ZX10R. :sunny:

TIBLE_90
16th May 2011, 09:49
Sounds like you had a blastful ride. It's good to hear that you on a 600 ninja is as fast (or faster) than your mate on a ZX10R. :sunny:

yea man, thanks :)

Camshaft
16th May 2011, 19:57
cant wait for this saturday then!!!!

Hanne
16th May 2011, 22:11
Sweet, details will go out in the newsletter

Squiggles
16th May 2011, 22:12
Tible can you pm me a contact name and number for the newsletter
Cheers

TIBLE_90
17th May 2011, 09:41
cant wait for this saturday then!!!!

sweet, would be good to get at least 3-4 person group :)

Camshaft
18th May 2011, 22:51
hey so i i geuss we shuld get this organised, ive got alot of study to do this weekend so i thought we could keep it local, as an initial idea of a ride, who'd be keen to meet up out west ways, like blockhouse bay or titirangi and do scenic drive then head to helensville from there? lots of twisties including scenic which is tight and helensville which has 200+ kph sweepers (not that we will go that fast =p). ANYONE KEEN!!!!????

Camshaft
18th May 2011, 22:53
forecast for sat as of today is for beautiful sunny day!!!!!

motorbyclist
18th May 2011, 22:53
Went with a friend on a zx10 today and I am just as fast, if not faster than him on the back roads :)

really!? I always thought displacement was the sole decider of corner speed :rolleyes:

good on ya for posting up a ride though :)

Camshaft
18th May 2011, 23:16
im gonna get a guilt trip going to..... itd be good to see some vip Aucklan UNI smc reps and senior members out there making themselves known.

TIBLE_90
19th May 2011, 15:26
im gonna get a guilt trip going to..... itd be good to see some vip Aucklan UNI smc reps and senior members out there making themselves known.

haha, yea that would be good.

I'm keen for a ride on Saturday, as always, and wouldnt mind going out west.
Not sure if I wana do 200 plus though lol

TIBLE_90
19th May 2011, 15:31
really!? I always thought displacement was the sole decider of corner speed :rolleyes:

good on ya for posting up a ride though :)

haha, displacement isnt the sole decider of corner speed :blink::shit: I thought it was...

nah but my point was that even though he has a faster bike, which can accelerate faster than mine, even with some good straight bits I caught up to him in the twisties. But yea I suppose its sorta a silly thing to say since it only has to do with how good ones riding is and I happen to be better at cornering than him. So cc's is irrelevant

Camshaft
19th May 2011, 16:50
haha, yea that would be good.

I'm keen for a ride on Saturday, as always, and wouldnt mind going out west.
Not sure if I wana do 200 plus though lol

all good thats why scenic drive is good, its 100kph zone with lotsa 35 - 45 -65 corners

Camshaft
19th May 2011, 17:19
Tible can you pm me a contact name and number for the newsletter
Cheers

how often does newsleter go out???

TIBLE_90
19th May 2011, 17:26
all good thats why scenic drive is good, its 100kph zone with lotsa 35 - 45 -65 corners

sweet, I might be able to get 2 other guys to come along

Squiggles
19th May 2011, 17:37
how often does newsleter go out???

Whenever there is news but we *try* for once a month. Went out last night :yes:

Camshaft
19th May 2011, 17:50
sweet, I might be able to get 2 other guys to come along

sweet i got a mate on a 636 thats keen aswell, gona b a kawasaki dominated day lol.

TIBLE_90
19th May 2011, 17:54
sweet i got a mate on a 636 thats keen aswell, gona b a kawasaki dominated day lol.

haha awesome

TIBLE_90
19th May 2011, 20:52
what time are we gona meet up? im doin somethin friday night so might not be able to make 10 AM, would 11 or 12 be fine?

Sy
19th May 2011, 21:07
Sounds like a blast. I'm definately keen for a ride seeing as I didn't make it out last week, and I will bring my 636 too :D.
Come along to the chiller if you guys are keen and we could decide where to go then.

Camshaft
19th May 2011, 21:11
yea 11am meet at titirangi village or my place in bhb?

racefactory
19th May 2011, 21:18
Ok I guess I'll bring my 636 too? Shiver me timbers, how many of these things are there?

Camshaft
19th May 2011, 21:32
Ok I guess I'll bring my 636 too? Shiver me timbers, how many of these things are there?

fuck this is turning into kwaka club haha, more the merrier tho. think thats 5 now.

EJK
19th May 2011, 22:05
fuck this is turning into kwaka club haha, more the merrier tho. think thats 5 now.

Take a photo!

TIBLE_90
20th May 2011, 09:55

hahaha, will be awesome. So many 636's, will be great def gona take some pics.

umm, not sure where to meet, bhb would be fine for me...where does everyone else wana meet?

TIBLE_90
20th May 2011, 09:58
Sounds like a blast. I'm definately keen for a ride seeing as I didn't make it out last week, and I will bring my 636 too :D.
Come along to the chiller if you guys are keen and we could decide where to go then.

not in town today, if you decide on a route could u post it up here :)

Camshaft
20th May 2011, 14:56
im not going to chiller, not in town tonite either, meet up at 11am at craig avon park, car park. http://www.wises.co.nz/l/craig+avon+park/#c/-36.927442/174.694054/17/
and the route is straight through titirangi onto scenic drive, then onto waitakere rd, then taupaki rd til it meets old north rd thn wishart rd and were in helensville. get some lunch and gas and find a new way home, or go bak the way we came.
Sound Good?

Camshaft
20th May 2011, 14:57
the car park is off connaught st, on the above map

TIBLE_90
20th May 2011, 19:18
im not going to chiller, not in town tonite either, meet up at 11am at craig avon park, car park. http://www.wises.co.nz/l/craig+avon+park/#c/-36.927442/174.694054/17/
and the route is straight through titirangi onto scenic drive, then onto waitakere rd, then taupaki rd til it meets old north rd thn wishart rd and were in helensville. get some lunch and gas and find a new way home, or go bak the way we came.
Sound Good?

yea sounds good, should be a sweet ride :):woohoo:

TIBLE_90
20th May 2011, 19:31
camshaft, can u PM me ur mobile number so i can text u if running late etc...just in-case

HungusMaximist
20th May 2011, 19:32
To organise a uni club takes a lot of time and work, we were hard into it back in 07, but times changed.

Westy_mate
20th May 2011, 20:05
Im coming too. see you then and ill be on my 636 too :P

Squiggles
20th May 2011, 20:07
Sound Good?

Have chucked those details in a mailout :woohoo:

Camshaft
20th May 2011, 20:08

cheers mate.

BE THERE OR BE.....not there

TIBLE_90
20th May 2011, 22:21
Im coming too. see you then and ill be on my 636 too :P

haha sweet

TIBLE_90
20th May 2011, 22:22

thanks for that :)

Camshaft
21st May 2011, 18:10
REGULAR SATURDAY RIDE THREAD IS HERE
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/138186-Weekly-Saturday-morning-ride-(Auck-Uni-SMC)?p=1130067917#post1130067917

Camshaft
21st May 2011, 20:05
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10150266489210928&set=a.10150266488005928.364439.746885927&type=1&theater

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10150266489265928&set=a.10150266488005928.364439.746885927&type=1&theater

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10150266489365928&set=a.10150266488005928.364439.746885927&type=1&theater

TIBLE_90
22nd May 2011, 17:53
bikes look amazing all together :):woohoo: