PDA

View Full Version : RF900 clutch noise

cowpatz
5th February 2011, 00:29
My bike is making a nashing sound at idle which seems to have got progressively worse. I am thinking that it is around the clutch cage area. It does not seem to be bottom end knock but this whirring nashing sound that disappears with power application. Bike is smooth with power on.
Anyone have any ideas or is this a known issue? Mileage = 70,000 Km.

Katman
5th February 2011, 05:15
For a start I'd be removing the clutch cover and checking the state of the bearing the clutch basket spins on - and I'd be doing it rather soonly.

Sable
5th February 2011, 05:24
A lot of FZR's have a problem with weak clutch baskets.. after a while they start fracturing and make a noise like that which you describe. It'll be alright for a couple thousand k and then it'll blow a hole in your cases.

riffer
5th February 2011, 07:41
I'm with Katman.

That clutch basket is about to let go.

Get it seen to quick. Lots of bits of metal flying around doesn't help fuel economy or performance.

F5 Dave
5th February 2011, 19:51
I'd agree with Katman, but I don't like the word Soonly. Could also be nut has come undone, but if yer off course with your hearing perhaps cam chain, but only ropey old Hondas do that these days.

cowpatz
6th February 2011, 12:55
Thanks guys. I had thought that it might of been the cam chain and I had that changed recently. I did ask them to investigate the cause of the noise but they could not immediately determine it. Time to check out the clutch.
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.