PDA

View Full Version : TRAVEL ALERT: North Otago: Kurow bridges now open (18 February)

Okey Dokey
10th February 2011, 11:09
The twin bridges across the Waitaki River are closed due to damage sustained by recent high water levels in the river. Floating debris has damaged some piers and the bridges are closed to traffic.

Pedestrians only may cross between 6am and 10pm. Engineers won't be able to inspect the damage until the river level drops, which willl be the weekend at the earliest. So the earliest possible re-opening would be the middle of next week.

If you are coming over the Hakataramea (Haka) Pass, you will now need to go to either Waimate or Glenavy for fuel, approximately another 65-70km from the bridges at Kurow.

Okey Dokey
13th February 2011, 20:23
Hello, travellers- bad news. I attended a meeting tonight about these bridges and they are likely to be closed this entire week. I will keep you posted.

Gremlin
13th February 2011, 22:36
Hello, travellers- bad news. I attended a meeting tonight about these bridges and they are likely to be closed this entire week. I will keep you posted.
Yes please. Would love an update (if not sooner) around 23rd Feb, as there will be a few of us hoping to use it on 27th Feb.

Okey Dokey
14th February 2011, 12:26
Sweet, I will keep this thread updated. To assess the damage and start repairs the Waitaki River flow needs to drop to 500 cumecs for a sustained period. Yesterday it was at 1100. Meridian, which controls the hydro lakes upriver, forecast it would still be as high as 600 at the end of this week, but could be higher if there is rain in the catchment area.

TimeOut
18th February 2011, 04:47
The bridges are now open again:woohoo:

Okey Dokey
18th February 2011, 08:34
Yes, the NZTA carried out their load testing yesterday, and have said that the bridges sustained no permanent damage. It is reported that the pier that was loose, has had new shingle swept in around it by the natural flow of the river. I guess that is an inexpensive repair!

Perhaps a moderator could amend the title of this thread to indicate the bridges have reopened? Cheers.

Gremlin
18th February 2011, 16:19
Blardy good to hear... saves me about quarter of an hour, as I travel from Waimate inland...

Okey Dokey
25th February 2011, 13:21
UPDATE: The bridges will be closed tomorrow, 26 February 2011, to remove debris. Traffic will be allowed to cross on the hour and on the half-hour.