PDA

View Full Version : Oil light, VFR800?

liljegren
23rd February 2011, 20:27
I know that oil lights generally come on when one has insufficient oil pressure, but why would it come on when the oil level, temp, oil change interval and abuse levels are normal? No-one I've spoken to has aever heard of this prob with VFR vtec before. Any bright ideas out there??? Matt.

Henk
23rd February 2011, 20:39
Bit of speculation in here but.

All the oil presure switches I have ever seen are a spring loaded switch that is opened when the oil starts to flow, thereby breaking the circuit. If it is on all the time and everything else is normal, i.e level OK, oil pump not shagged, check that
a) the connector to the swtitch hasn't come off and is sitting on the case causing a short
b) the wire for the sensor hasn't worn through the insulation somewhere and is contacting the frame, leading to another short with the same symptoms.

liljegren
23rd February 2011, 20:55
Yeah, all good Henk, but the motor is now making clonkity clonk noises!!

NinjaNanna
24th February 2011, 11:23
low oil pressure light indicates low oil pressure.

if the level is correct and its going clunk I'd say odds on that the oil pump is stuffed.

I think there was someone else on here very recently reporting a #$%@@'ed vfr motor due to lost oil pressure.

You'd better get it checked before running the bike again and hope for the best, but it don't sound promising.