PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycles to be allowed to jump red lights in Kansas... as sensors fail to react

Bob
26th February 2011, 00:48
Motorcyclists in Kansas are to be given the go-ahead to run a red-light “after a reasonable period of time”. The reason for the seemingly illegal action is sensors in traffic lights that are failing to register motorcycles, leaving riders waiting for the lights to change.

The bill, Kansas HB2192, nicknamed "Dead Red Bill," would allow motorcyclists to run a red light if the signal fails to turn green after a "reasonable period of time." Dead Red Bill was passed by the Kansas House earlier this week, and is now awaiting for Senate approval.

swbarnett
27th February 2011, 00:13
I don't know if it's been tested in court but I think it's actually legal already. You'd have a case for a faulty traffic light sensor. I believe you're allowed to ignore lights (with extreme caution) if they're actually malfunctioning.

Rhys
28th February 2011, 16:02
we have a set of lights out side work that go on to a main road, they do not work with the bike and take about 12-15 minutes to change if i am in the car, so what is a
"Reasonable period of time.” Because 15 minutes is ridiculous!:sleep:

Elysium
28th February 2011, 16:07
Seems some of the censors here in Palmy CBD still don't work and I find myself running the red. Only seems to happen in lanes that turn right or left.

superman
28th February 2011, 18:23
I have it happen too, usually have to hop up onto the pedestrian crossing and let a car sit on the pressure/induction points. Late at night lights should be normal stop signs/give way as there use in allowing pedestrians to cross is almost unecessary and to allow low traffic volumes to go onto the main road a give way is perfectly fine at night time. Why aren't they all flashing yellow dammit!

Eyegasm
1st March 2011, 07:32
If it is taking to long, wait for the green man. Get off the bike and push it.

Swoop
1st March 2011, 11:33
Seems some of the censors here...
They should be banned!
Or perhaps R18 rated!

R-Soul
1st March 2011, 12:04
Happened to me in Onehunga - I was not really paying attention to the lights, but after the traffic cycle had completed a couple of times, without letting me go, I was getting a bit pissed off, and eventually just jumped em....