PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle crash cards rolled out to Humberside bikers

Bob
4th March 2011, 01:30
Bikers in the Humberside region of the UK are being given ‘crash cards’ containing important medical information.

The cards – which are intended to be tucked into the lining of their helmets - provide vital contact and medical details to paramedics in the event of an accident.

Pc Barry Gardner, casualty reduction officer for Humberside Police, said: "This is a system for which if motorcyclists are unfortunate enough to crash they will have their medical history on them with the crash card when someone responds to them. A green dot is stuck to the side of their helmet to let emergency crews know the card is in their helmet.”

BAD DAD
4th March 2011, 15:22
It will be interesting to see any feedback on this in the future. Seems like quite a good idea at first glance.

FJRider
4th March 2011, 15:45
Those that require special medical treatment (in NZ) wear medical alert bracelets ... or similar ...

Kiwi medic's look for THEM now ...

Katman
4th March 2011, 18:22
Yeah, it's so much easier to take care of motorcyclists after a crash than try to teach them how not to have a crash. :weird:

onearmedbandit
4th March 2011, 18:46
Yeah, it's so much easier to take care of motorcyclists after a crash than try to teach them how not to have a crash. :weird:

Agreed but you'll never fully eradicate crashes. So to me it makes sense.

maggot
4th March 2011, 19:41
The major flaw I can think of straight away is the ability to remove one's helmet in the event of a crash. I mean, sure, medical history, great, but how to get it if one's helmet is too unsafe to remove? Don't they have enough problems getting them off in the first place?

onearmedbandit
4th March 2011, 19:57
The major flaw I can think of straight away is the ability to remove one's helmet in the event of a crash. I mean, sure, medical history, great, but how to get it if one's helmet is too unsafe to remove? Don't they have enough problems getting them off in the first place?

I'm pretty sure medics are trained how to remove a helmet, and it normally is a must to make sure the air way is clear. It's muppets who just yank a helmet off an injured rider who will fuck things up.

maggot
4th March 2011, 20:11
I'm pretty sure medics are trained how to remove a helmet, and it normally is a must to make sure the air way is clear. It's muppets who just yank a helmet off an injured rider who will fuck things up.

Ahhh, understood!
Carry on then.. :innocent:

Gremlin
5th March 2011, 00:56
I mean, sure, medical history, great, but how to get it if one's helmet is too unsafe to remove? Don't they have enough problems getting them off in the first place?
There is a two person technique that I know at least some NZ medics are trained in, for proper removal of a helmet to minimise injuries.

I wear some basic information on a type of dog tag, around my neck. Blood type, name, identifying stuff basically.

Bob
5th March 2011, 08:51
There is a two person technique that I know at least some NZ medics are trained in, for proper removal of a helmet to minimise injuries.

I wear some basic information on a type of dog tag, around my neck. Blood type, name, identifying stuff basically.

Our paramedics are trained in helmet removal. But agreed, keeping it in the helmet isn't the best idea. Everyone is told (including on the St John Ambulance courses) that a helmet should only be removed as a last-resort.

A great idea is one that Schuberth has in at least some of it's flip-tops, where the helmet has a panel in it that contains this information. The alternative is like Gremlin's dog-tag. There is something called the SOS Talisman, that you note your important information into:

http://www.sostalisman.co.uk/