PDA

View Full Version : I'm a fucking idiot!

superman
30th March 2011, 18:11
I just managed to overtighten one of the two oil drain plugs on my ninja. The one leading straight into the case, :facepalm:

Now... ideas for what to do, it doesn't need 2 draining plugs, so... should I just put a new bolt/washer into the plug I've stripped and use sealant, and leave it for eternity never to be used again. Rather than the horrid replacing the engine case or boring a bigger hole just so a spare draining plug can be used.

I want to get back riding asap, and I can't believe I did something so stupid. Should have bought that torque wrench when I thought about it! :angry:

Katman
30th March 2011, 18:17
Now... ideas for what to do, it doesn't need 2 draining plugs, so... should I just put a new bolt/washer into the plug I've stripped and use sealant, and leave it for eternity never to be used again.

The thread you've stripped won't be on the bolt - it will be the casing. Fitting a new bolt will achieve nothing.

If your motor has a removable sump, take it off and get it helicoiled.

steve_t
30th March 2011, 18:17
U could helicoil if you want to keep using it

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/116217-Fuck-fuck-fuck-stripped-sump-plug

superman
30th March 2011, 18:21
The thread you've stripped won't be on the bolt - it will be the casing. Fitting a new bolt will achieve nothing.

The sump bolt is fine, it's the vertical draining bolt (spare from the old model ninja) right next to the oil filter that I've stripped the inside straight into the engine case. I was thinking of getting a new bolt/washer and putting it in and using a sealant to permanently close it?

Or what about getting a new bolt and putting 2/3 washers on it, so that the beginning thread (which I think is still fine) can hold the bolt?

tigertim20
30th March 2011, 19:15
The sump bolt is fine, it's the vertical draining bolt (spare from the old model ninja) right next to the oil filter that I've stripped the inside straight into the engine case. I was thinking of getting a new bolt/washer and putting it in and using a sealant to permanently close it?

Or what about getting a new bolt and putting 2/3 washers on it, so that the beginning thread (which I think is still fine) can hold the bolt?

if you fuck the bolt thread, youll fuck the female half at least partly, and vice versa. Helicoil it. is really not that expensive or difficult. bung it up with goop, and it may cause bigger problems down the road.

If you fuck something fix it.

If you fix something, fix it properly the first time.

superman
30th March 2011, 19:21
If you fix something, fix it properly the first time.

Buuuut... money! How much is the helicoiling? If you know...

Do I just drag my bike into cycletreads?

bsasuper
30th March 2011, 20:08
Get it fixed, learn from the experience, buy a torque wrench.

tigertim20
30th March 2011, 20:33
Buuuut... money! How much is the helicoiling? If you know...

well, Id just do it myself. . .
ring your local shop and ask them!

Teflon
30th March 2011, 21:00

Sounds a little risky, if it fails...

Have you tried re tapping it? depending on the length of the bolt,, can you tap it the next size up,, but only tapping half of the depth?.. cut a bolt down to suit

and loctite on the bolt...

The Stranger
30th March 2011, 21:04
Buuuut... money!

And if your silicone isn't up to the task and the plug comes out whilst riding you run the risk of seizing your engine and/or dumping oil on the road immediately in front of your rear wheel that will somehow be cheaper?

Don't be a rough cunt, fix the fucking thing properly!

superman
30th March 2011, 21:07
And if your silicone isn't up to the task and the plug comes out whilst riding you run the risk of seizing your engine and/or dumping oil on the road immediately in front of your rear wheel that will somehow be cheaper?

Don't be a rough cunt, fix the fucking thing properly!

Haha I will I'm just moaning in self pity. It shall be done!

CookMySock
30th March 2011, 21:11
I'm all for jacking around with shit in I-think-I-can mode - you gotta learn some way, but after a hiccup its really important to know when to stop, lest ye fuck it irretrievably.

If you are out of your depth then pay up and get it fixed professionally. It's not going to cost megabucks to get someone to helicoil it.

Spearfish
30th March 2011, 21:39
Its only $430 bucks to get it helicoiled.....

Well it did on a mates engine after trying epoxy (fell out when hot)
Then drilled it out and try to tap another bolt (fell out, didn't have fractional drill bit so no real thread)
Borrowed a bigger but correct drill and tried again this time there was no thickness left in the bolt area so it stripped again (torque wrench is looking real cheap now)

New case from an old bike he "scored" of trademe..but the thing had a stripped sump bolt (laughed my coffee through my nose when he mentioned it).

Finally got the case to a guy who had a coil ready to go.

Scoot_6R
31st March 2011, 04:34
If it's the bolt I think it is. It's on a triangular shaped piece on the sump which holds the guaze filter?? If that's the case remove the 3 bolts 6mm bolts holding it on and hey presto!! Either helicoil or get a new one. While our there clean out the blue and pink paint that will be in your guaze filter!!

superman
31st March 2011, 07:56
If it's the bolt I think it is. It's on a triangular shaped piece on the sump which holds the guaze filter?? If that's the case remove the 3 bolts 6mm bolts holding it on and hey presto!! Either helicoil or get a new one. While our there clean out the blue and pink paint that will be in your guaze filter!!

Nope, the vertical one leading directly into the case right next to the oil filter not the sump one. If it was just the sump one it wouldn't be so bad as I could take it out as you say.

Awaiting to hear quotes from a couple companies now for the work, damn the weekend looked so promising.

awayatc
31st March 2011, 08:18
done similar stupid shit myself, and not trying to be smart....
Torque wrench one option.....
Using right size tool for job also helpfull...
hard to wreck things with fitting ringspanner for example.
Good luck, know how you feel.

KiwiNinja
31st March 2011, 09:41
I just managed to overtighten one of the two oil drain plugs on my ninja. The one leading straight into the case, :facepalm:

Now... ideas for what to do, it doesn't need 2 draining plugs, so... should I just put a new bolt/washer into the plug I've stripped and use sealant, and leave it for eternity never to be used again. Rather than the horrid replacing the engine case or boring a bigger hole just so a spare draining plug can be used.

I want to get back riding asap, and I can't believe I did something so stupid. Should have bought that torque wrench when I thought about it! :angry:

Just to clarify. Did you over tightened the bolt and the head came off leaving the thread inside the bike?

superman
31st March 2011, 09:48
Just to clarify. Did you over tightened the bolt and the head came off leaving the thread inside the bike?

Thread inside bike is shaved. Steel bolt vs aluminium engine case.

KiwiNinja
31st March 2011, 10:14
Thread inside bike is shaved. Steel bolt vs aluminium engine case.

Shit that sucks. I once over tightended a bolt and the head came right off...but this was a situation of a crappy bolt vs steel thread. It ended up being a very simple fix compared to your problem. Good luck.

The Pastor
31st March 2011, 10:54

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Actually you obviously do not know what you are doing.
1, you stripped a thread on a sump plug (happens to all of us),
2, you want to fix this with sealant (DON'T),
3, you want to go to cycle treads to fix it.

This is what you have to do.

1. drain bike of oil
2. Remove sump
3. ring around the bike MECHANICS not the tyre shops and check the price for a helicoil for bringing in the sump.
4. once sump is fixed re attach.

Infact scratch all that, call george from motorcycle doctors. he is much better than cycletards.

cbfb
31st March 2011, 12:00
Bad luck!

You can get helicoil kits to do the job yourself if you want, engineering suppliers will have them. Not sure if it will work out more or less expensive than getting a mechanic to do it.

Afterthought: Could you just retap the hole (cutting threads (http://www.dansmc.com/bolts3.htm)) and fit a bigger sump bolt?

superman
31st March 2011, 13:06
This is what you have to do.

1. drain bike of oil
2. Remove sump
3. ring around the bike MECHANICS not the tyre shops and check the price for a helicoil for bringing in the sump.
4. once sump is fixed re attach.

Infact scratch all that, call george from motorcycle doctors. he is much better than cycletards.

HOW MANY TIMES TO I HAVE TO SAY!!!!

It's not the sump draining plug I fucked up, it's the draining plug that leads directly into the engine case, right next to the oil filter. It cannot be detached unless I detach the entire engine casing.

Botz honda just quoted me about 100 bucks to fix it, all for being too tightening happy. :angry: This is just like the time when I was 15 and kept filling up my car with more and more oil wondering why it didn't reach the brim. :facepalm: I don't know what my brains doing most of the time when I do anything mechanical related. It just whizzes off and I'm left with homeless harry.

The Pastor
31st March 2011, 13:18
how many times to i have to say!!!!

It's not the sump draining plug i fucked up, it's the draining plug that leads directly into the engine case, right next to the oil filter. It cannot be detached unless i detach the entire engine casing.

Botz honda just quoted me about 100 bucks to fix it, all for being too tightening happy. :angry: This is just like the time when i was 15 and kept filling up my car with more and more oil wondering why it didn't reach the brim. :facepalm: I don't know what my brains doing most of the time when i do anything mechanical related. It just whizzes off and i'm left with homeless harry.

do u mean the engine side cover / clutch cover?

but get a quote from motorcycle doctors first. 0800 668 663

superman
31st March 2011, 13:20
do u mean the engine side cover / clutch cover?

Um, I'm not sure. It leads directly vertically from the very bottom of the bike in towards the engine, the sump is lower down and off to the side with a horizontal draining bolt.

Madness
31st March 2011, 13:25
:facepalm:

The location of the threaded hole (a picture tells a thousand words, btw) presents another issue - that of swarf removal from any drilling and tapping (getting the metally bits out of the engine).

Call George from Motorcycle Doctors, if at least for a second opinion. From what you've described I fail to see how it could be repaired properly for $100 and would be wary of someone claiming to be able to do so.

FWIW, if you are buying a Helicoil kit you're paying primarily for the oversize tap. Kits go for upwards of $130, making for quite an expensive hole. There are also solid threaded inserts available in N.Z, they have two notches at the bottom that cut the thread on insertion. These solid inserts are available individually for around $5 although I'm not sure about size range (i.e fine pitch, etc).

You probably don't need to invest in a torque wrench, maybe consider swapping that 24" 1/2"dr strongarm for a wee 1/4"dr set instead?.

cbfb
31st March 2011, 13:26
:scratch::scratch: Any chance of a photo?

superman
31st March 2011, 13:33
:scratch::scratch: Any chance of a photo?

When I get home after work I shall.

Bikemad
31st March 2011, 18:55
stick a fine single malt whisky cork in it......after you finish the bottle of course.......worked for Burt Munro didnt it?

The Stranger
31st March 2011, 20:32
Botz honda just quoted me about 100 bucks to fix it, all for being too tightening happy. :angry: This is just like the time when I was 15 and kept filling up my car with more and more oil wondering why it didn't reach the brim. :facepalm: I don't know what my brains doing most of the time when I do anything mechanical related. It just whizzes off and I'm left with homeless harry.

That should have been a clue right there.
If at first you don't succeed - give up.

The Pastor
7th April 2011, 11:33
When I get home after work I shall.

any update mate? got that pic?

superman
7th April 2011, 11:35
any update mate? got that pic?

Nup, bike's fixed now picking it up tomorrow. Mechanic said he was able to just retap it so he just had to order in a bolt for me. So no harm done and only 9 days with no bike, could've been worse. Got the holidays now anyway so I'll be able to hoon around amok with the wildlife once more :innocent:

The Pastor
7th April 2011, 15:57
Nup, bike's fixed now picking it up tomorrow. Mechanic said he was able to just retap it so he just had to order in a bolt for me. So no harm done and only 9 days with no bike, could've been worse. Got the holidays now anyway so I'll be able to hoon around amok with the wildlife once more :innocent:

mate if it was a simple retap, i could of done that for you

p.dath
7th April 2011, 16:05

+1. Done something similar myself. Take the sump off, take it to an engineer, and get them to fit a helicoil for you.

You need to be very accurate at drilling to fir the helicoil yourself ...

cbfb
7th April 2011, 16:07
You need to be very accurate at drilling to fir the helicoil yourself ...

Do you mean by hand-drilling? Should be sweet with a drill press. Can pick one up for under 200.

p.dath
7th April 2011, 16:09
Do you mean by hand-drilling? Should be sweet with a drill press. Can pick one up for under 200.

Really? Don't say that. I don't really need one, but now I might be impulse shopping on Trade Me. Bugger.

cbfb
7th April 2011, 16:13
Really? Don't say that. I don't really need one, but now I might be impulse shopping on Trade Me. Bugger.

DO IT! You can always drill some random weight-saving holes when you're bored one day.

The Pastor
8th April 2011, 11:05
DO IT! You can always drill some random weight-saving holes when you're bored one day.

especially with your frame, lots of weight to be saved in most frames

cbfb
8th April 2011, 12:01
especially with your frame, lots of weight to be saved in most frames

Um I think my frame needs all the metal it can get to support my own er ample frame.