PDA

View Full Version : Two-stroke crank seals. How long do they last?

Stylo
30th March 2011, 19:11
How long will the crank seals last if you just leave the Bike sitting and no use ?

Bike's an '01 Cr500 , been about 6 months since it was last fired up , started third kick and..all good :blink:

Look's like big red's gonna be stored in the shed for a while yet so...any advice would be nice to hear ...and cheers

Chancebmx25
13th April 2011, 06:40
How long will the crank seals last if you just leave the Bike sitting and no use ?

Bike's an '01 Cr500 , been about 6 months since it was last fired up , started third kick and..all good :blink:

Look's like big red's gonna be stored in the shed for a while yet so...any advice would be nice to hear ...and cheers

Fire it uhp every week man anc just take a look overvthings to make sure its algood.

White trash
13th April 2011, 08:38
My MVX crank seals are 28 years old and the bike sat out the back of a shed without running for at least 3 years. Still seem good as gold.

eelracing
14th April 2011, 09:24
Back in 2005 I brought a 1983 RM125 off a car dealer who had brought it over from Japan with a bunch of cars in a container.Without a word of a lie the plastics were chalk and the rest of it did'nt look much better.It basically looked like it had been raced for a season then left to sit in the back of a shed for the next 20 years.I put some fresh gas in it and she struggle to life on the third kick.
Some new tyres,chain and sprockets,second hand Meyer plastics and a carb cleanout later I was racing it in VMX.
I got a good season an a half out of her before the piston let go...stripped down the motor and apart from the piston damage everything looked factory fresh.

Sometimes a bike comes along and you just know it's a keeper.

Brian d marge
14th April 2011, 12:28
yes they can last a long time , quick check , ignition side , wd 40 if engine note goes hay wife its leaking ,

they are cheap and not hard to change , ( except for that stupid Honda Hpp , getting that pin , crank thing to line up was a pain)

Stephen

F5 Dave
19th April 2011, 17:21
Fire it uhp every week man anc just take a look overvthings to make sure its algood.
. . . and whatever you do, don't do this.

You'd be better to just turn it over every so often, but starting it up will create moisture as a by product without a decent run. Crank pins can get corrosion damage & then it's game over. Best defence is using a bike regularly & a dry environment.

Chancebmx25
19th April 2011, 18:31
. . . and whatever you do, don't do this.

You'd be better to just turn it over every so often, but starting it up will create moisture as a by product without a decent run. Crank pins can get corrosion damage & then it's game over. Best defence is using a bike regularly & a dry environment.

there will be no harm in letting it start up.... let it idle for a bit dont cold thrash it. wait till it warms up and take it for a run. unless its some real old huck that hasnt being started in ages then ur best to look at it before hand. or just buy a new one!

F5 Dave
20th April 2011, 09:57
so you've changed from 'just fire it up once a week' to 'use it regularly'?