PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki GSX 600F leaking carbi issue

Faust600F
2nd April 2011, 12:07
Hey all.
The thin copper pipe on my far right carbi has snapped off from the top of the carbi.
I think its a choke vacuum line.

The bike seems to flood at the lights making take off sluggish unless I rev it a lil before taking off, also has a little trouble starting some mornings unless I hold my finger over the exposed hole on the pipe.

Anyone know If I can just block up the tube and it should correct this issue at the light / morning starts ?

I cant seem to find a replacement tube and have been quoted big bucks to have the copper pipe braized back together.

I have a feeling the bike shop I took it to a year ago just tuned the carbis to run rich, and told me I needed to buy new carbis, rather than tell me I had the broken line.

The bike also seems to be a lil thirsty. $20 to go 120 highway km's comapred to my mates er6n injected doing about 200kms for $20 ..the leaking line / rich carbi causing this ? or is this common in carbi bikes ?

ducatilover
2nd April 2011, 12:25
It could be a vacuum pipe, is the idle a bit erratic and is it down on power much? can you post up a picture?

F5 Dave
6th April 2011, 14:26
Copper pipe? That's odd. Top of carbs would be plastic & retain the diaphragms. I've seen the plastic pipe off them break before. Or was it near the top. Post a pic, I'd be tempted to just throw a wad of Kneedit over the hole as a temp fix if it obviously runs better that way.

so what did this pipe connect to? The Vacuum gauge pipes usually have a plastic cover over them available at Supercheap in those multipack boxes for bolts & pannel fittings. If this is what it was then you wouldn't be able to syncronise the carbs, if indeed you cared. But a careful drill into the carb & insert a new pipe with some epoxy would fix it, but of course you'd want to pull out the diaphragm & collect the swarf.

High consumption is another issue, may be related, may not. Old carbs like Mikuni CVs of that era wear the emulsion tube oval, that can cause bad ecconomy, but comparing it to a modern kawi twin is unfair. How many kph are you doing? (price of gas is so variable). Probably shouldn't expect more than 16-17 out of an old bike.