PDA

View Full Version : LED glove “could save bikers' lives”

Bob
14th April 2011, 00:11
A US inventor has come up with an idea that could save bikers lives by catching the attention of drivers.

The ‘Turn Sentinel’ is a glove, featuring Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs). When activated, the lights flash in sequence – at eye level to cars – making the rider easier to see.

Inventor Anthony English said “I got tired of hearing of these accidents and the drivers that hit the bikes nearly always said the same thing, I never even saw him.” The main intention is for the lights to activate when the rider gives a hand signal to turn, but could be adapted so that a specific movement of the hand sets the lights to show – for example, the display could be turned on when approaching a junction.

Tests have shown the lights are visible up to 150 yards.

The Turn Sentinel is available on the internet, retailing at USD 48. For more information: http://www.turnsentinel.com/

imdying
14th April 2011, 08:20
Good plan... make mine a strobe on the middle finger.

Bald Eagle
14th April 2011, 08:34
Interesting link, flashing gloves - yes, helmet - no .nuff said.

Paul in NZ
14th April 2011, 08:37
Thats a pretty nifty idea for us old blokes with pre indicator bikes...

I'd still prefer a feckin lazer beam....

The Baron
14th April 2011, 09:56
Ah --- left hand only???

p.dath
14th April 2011, 10:05
If I recall correctly, the most common accident is a car pulling out from a side road in front of a motorcycle travelling straight ahead. So this will do nothing for that case.

This will only make it more obvious to vehicles behind you if you are turning left (unless you plan to take your hand off the throttle to turn right). In NZ we drive on the left, and we don't have to cross the traffic usually when turning left.

So I don't think this invention is helpful in our environment.

steve_t
14th April 2011, 10:21
I'd think a headlight modulator could possibly be more effective if anything

CookMySock
14th April 2011, 10:59
That glove COULD save lives, if it reached down and flipped the headlight to full-beam.

macros87
14th April 2011, 13:59
starts with the gloves... soon we all look like extras in that tron movie.

george formby
14th April 2011, 14:52
I've often thought blinking LED's would be very good at helping us being noticed. An on/off/on light catches the eye better than a static one, a couple of those little blue things on each indicator blinking alternately would, to my mind, be effective.
Cheap, small & full of potential but currently illegal I think.

Edbear
14th April 2011, 14:53
I have five lights facing forward, including main, 2 x driving lights and 2 x amber running lights. I'm afraid if they can't see me, I've got little hope... :bye:

CookMySock
14th April 2011, 15:06
I have five lights facing forward, including main, 2 x driving lights and 2 x amber running lights. I'm afraid if they can't see me, I've got little hope... :bye:Thats coz they're all dipped, lol. :sunny:

scracha
14th April 2011, 18:23
I've often thought blinking LED's would be very good at helping us being noticed. An on/off/on light catches the eye better than a static one, a couple of those little blue things on each indicator blinking alternately would, to my mind, be effective.

Had a yankee import GPX that had "hazard lights". Turn on the switch and all 4 indicators would start flashing. It was truly awesome for filtering through traffic.

scumdog
14th April 2011, 19:41
Funny how it's all the KB 'the glass is half empty' types that are the first to post...:rolleyes:

steve_t
14th April 2011, 19:48
Funny how it's all the KB 'the glass is half empty' types that are the first to post...:rolleyes:

Yeah... funny. SD, do you hold your arm out to indicate when you're about to turn?

AllanB
14th April 2011, 19:58
Yeah... funny. SD, do you hold your arm out to indicate when you're about to turn?

Never - so it would be a bloody waste of time for me. And I don't know of anyone being rear ended in the situation the glove man illustrates.

I've a issue with many LED turn signals - they are hard to see in bright sunlight rendering them worse than old-school bulbs.

I have seen a couple of bikes running additional white LED lights at the front - now these really stand out and IMO are a good idea.

Plus I am surprised after years of car-bike incidents that 'the-powers-that-be' have not made side running lights in some form compulsory for bikes. Maybe they won't make any difference.

scumdog
14th April 2011, 20:06

Not so much now but two Harleys back (and with my old Honda) I had to, the bikes had no indicators.:yes:

Hanne
14th April 2011, 21:57
I find that a combination of plastic flowers, leftover tinsel and copious amounts of pink ribbon tied to my handlebars and the sides of my fairings do a pretty good job of making me extra-spottable. Disco ball additions would be pretty neat I reckon, especially if coupled with a bubble-making machine and extra neons, a la the UK advert :P

Paul in NZ
15th April 2011, 08:01
I find that a combination of plastic flowers, leftover tinsel and copious amounts of pink ribbon tied to my handlebars and the sides of my fairings do a pretty good job of making me extra-spottable. Disco ball additions would be pretty neat I reckon, especially if coupled with a bubble-making machine and extra neons, a la the UK advert :P

A bubble making machine you say..... hmmmmmmmm I can just see me gliding up to the cafe on the trophy, chrome gleaming, paint sparkling and the exhaust emitting a healthy bubble....

MSTRS
15th April 2011, 10:12
A burble making machine you say..... hmmmmmmmm I can just see me gliding up to the cafe on the trophy, chrome gleaming, paint sparkling and the exhaust emitting a healthy burble....

Fixed that for you...

wysper
15th April 2011, 10:56
Good for cyclists perhaps.
Not motorcyclists.

george formby
15th April 2011, 11:02
Had a yankee import GPX that had "hazard lights". Turn on the switch and all 4 indicators would start flashing. It was truly awesome for filtering through traffic.

Mine has hazards, never thought of using them like that though.

sinned
15th April 2011, 11:08
The glove idea has sparked another idea for those who wear and believe in hi vis vests.

Build into the vest a row of LEDs from the shoulder down the arm. Hi powered ones that flash like some cyclists wear on their helmets. Power them from the bike so no battery problems. The LEDs could be a selection of colours including blue and red and as the are not part of the vehicle would running them be contrary to any law or regulation?

superman
15th April 2011, 11:08

If both indicators could go it would be great for filtering. I think my lights overheat though... they seem to struggle to blink after about 20 minutes of being turned on. :angry:

Gone Burger
15th April 2011, 11:10
So I don't think this invention is helpful in our environment.

I would disagree. Perheaps not to helpm been seen ON the road. But, a few weeks back I crashed my bike and went off the road. I fell down a ditch that was 3m lower than the road level. I broke my neck and back and could not move. For 5 hours I was there. As cars drove past, as did the ambulance and fire department with lights and sirens. I Could see them, no one could see me. Until finally someone in the firetruck saw the led light from my phone down in the long grass. And they found me.

So... I would buy some of these gloves in an instant.. I would have been found much sooner if I had something on my to catch attention. No, I don't plan to EVER crash again, but somethings are just a little beyond our control, and we have to take what happens occasionally.

I know if it wasn't for the screen on my phone, it was going to be a very long night, and I am unsure if I would have had the strength to make it.

YAY for firemen! hehe - my heros!

Give me a flashing LED glove any day.

CookMySock
15th April 2011, 11:20
What we REALLY need, is some MEGA BRIGHTstrobe LED indicators like the amber ones emergency vehicles use. They would need to have a "compatibility" mode where they have an ordinary flash rate and brightness for WOF purposes, and then they need to have a a couple of other modes, including a really offensive (not for general use) mode when you want to let people know you are there.

oneofsix
15th April 2011, 11:21
I would disagree. Perheaps not to helpm been seen ON the road. But, a few weeks back I crashed my bike and went off the road. I fell down a ditch that was 3m lower than the road level. I broke my neck and back and could not move. For 5 hours I was there. As cars drove past, as did the ambulance and fire department with lights and sirens. I Could see them, no one could see me. Until finally someone in the firetruck saw the led light from my phone down in the long grass. And they found me.

So... I would buy some of these gloves in an instant.. I would have been found much sooner if I had something on my to catch attention. No, I don't plan to EVER crash again, but somethings are just a little beyond our control, and we have to take what happens occasionally.

I know if it wasn't for the screen on my phone, it was going to be a very long night, and I am unsure if I would have had the strength to make it.

Think I might just put my aaa mag-light torch keyring on my bike keys.

Neon
15th April 2011, 11:59
Build into the vest a row of LEDs from the shoulder down the arm. Hi powered ones that flash like some cyclists wear on their helmets. Power them from the bike so no battery problems. The LEDs could be a selection of colours including blue and red and as the are not part of the vehicle would running them be contrary to any law or regulation?

These already exist: http://www.hi-glow.co.nz/

:niceone:

Neon
15th April 2011, 12:00

Why is it that flashing forward facing LED lights are legal for bicycles?

wysper
15th April 2011, 13:20
Why is it that flashing forward facing LED lights are legal for bicycles?

I think it is the colour that would be illegal. Blue and red for example. Red should only be rear facing. Blue and red flashing to the front could be considered impersonating an officer of the law.

Neon
15th April 2011, 14:26
So you could in theory put a white flashing forward facing LED light on each mirror and it be legal? Because that to me sounds like a bloody good solution (in certain circumstances).

True about those flashing vests - red flashing lights facing forward = illegal, although they do have a backward facing only product.

Neon
15th April 2011, 14:36

Your accident Katiepie has to be THE textbook case for a cheap GPS emergency locator type transmitter wired to the bike (do these even exist?). With some smarts built in it could detect tip-over and impact so if the rider is unconscious the signal goes out anyway. Yes, in your case flashing gloves would have made a difference but a flare gun would have been even better! I know the area where you came off and I was amazed and thankful that you had cellphone coverage at all... an incredible story for sure :yes:

Best wishes for your recovery :)

swbarnett
15th April 2011, 16:27
My immediate reaction when I saw the thread title was:

"Oh fuck, not another fucken one."

The "one" to which I refer, of course, being yet another device that someone will attempt to foist on us under the guise that it's our fault drivers don't see us."

I never expect to be seen anyway so why the fuck should I go out of my way to look like a christmas tree.

No hi-vis vest or flashing glove could've saved my bike today from the prick that backed in to it!

Edbear
15th April 2011, 16:46
Never - so it would be a bloody waste of time for me. And I don't know of anyone being rear ended in the situation the glove man illustrates.

I've a issue with many LED turn signals - they are hard to see in bright sunlight rendering them worse than old-school bulbs.

I have seen a couple of bikes running additional white LED lights at the front - now these really stand out and IMO are a good idea.

Plus I am surprised after years of car-bike incidents that 'the-powers-that-be' have not made side running lights in some form compulsory for bikes. Maybe they won't make any difference.

LED running lights are now being seen, (sic), on many new cars and are a good idea if you don't have additional diving lights.

I always used an indicator on when filtering, not the hazards though.

The glove idea has sparked another idea for those who wear and believe in hi vis vests.

I doubt LED's use enough power to make battery life an issue.

kiwifruit
15th April 2011, 16:55
If I recall correctly, the most common accident is a car pulling out from a side road in front of a motorcycle travelling straight ahead.

I bet a fair percentage of those motorcycles were indicating to turn left :facepalm:

Dodgyiti
15th April 2011, 17:02
Good idea for pre indicator bikes as Paul said. I already wear gloves with big reflective material on the knuckle part for hand signals but these would be one step better at night especially.

swbarnett
15th April 2011, 17:10
My GSX has hazard lights. Drivers really think you're a cop when splitting after dark.

scumdog
15th April 2011, 19:08
I bet a fair percentage of those motorcycles were indicating to turn left :facepalm:

Yup, I bet more than one motorcyclist has been taken out 'cos they were barreling along blithely unaware their left indicator was blinking away..and a car pulled out of a side street on front of them...:yes:

sunhuntin
15th April 2011, 19:24
My GSX has hazard lights. Drivers really think you're a cop when splitting after dark.

my viragos got hazards as well, only use them with im in "iffy" conditions and i feel more vulnerable than normal, such as thick fog or a poorly lit tunnel. has saved my rear a few times i think.

scumdog
15th April 2011, 19:33

Likewise my Harley.

And there really is a cop when splitting..

(OK, I lied, we don't need to split down here in Riviera of the South)

AllanB
15th April 2011, 19:58
My understanding was the only flashing light you can legally run are turn signals. Couple years back I was keen on getting a flashing unit for my rear brake light from the USA- the harder? longer you brake the faster the brake light flashes hopefully gaining the attention of the cars behind.

Good idea I thought.

I called LTSA and they told me it would be illegal. No flashing lights other than turn signals.

Kill-joys.

mrmeal
15th April 2011, 20:18
No hi-vis vest or flashing glove could've saved my bike today from the prick that backed in to it!

Ah crap! and you've been on leave too, nice way to wrap the week up. Much damage? Hopefully not bad, see you after the weekend at the grind :)

-Hayden

Camshaft
15th April 2011, 20:19
they sound dumb. led gloves. wtf.

sinned
15th April 2011, 20:24
Yup, I bet more than one motorcyclist has been taken out 'cos they were barreling along blithely unaware their left indicator was blinking away..and a car pulled out of a side street on front of them...:yes:Must admit I have left the indicator on when something has distracted me and lots of riders do. The indicator warning light on the Busa is just under the line of sight to edge of the screen. The newer Harleys have a self cancelling system which is excellent and should be standard on all bikes.

My understanding was the only flashing light you can legally run are turn signals. Couple years back I was keen on getting a flashing unit for my rear brake light from the USA- the harder? longer you brake the faster the brake light flashes hopefully gaining the attention of the cars behind.

Good idea I thought.

I called LTSA and they told me it would be illegal. No flashing lights other than turn signals.

Kill-joys.
Do the lighting rules apply to the rider? If you light your body up like a christmas tree are breaking any rules???

AllanB
15th April 2011, 20:31
Do the lighting rules apply to the rider? If you light your body up like a christmas tree are breaking any rules???

Now that is a good point!

JMemonic
15th April 2011, 21:17

Good idea I thought.

Kill-joys.

I saw a car about two weeks ago, I think it was the hospital board, that had brake lights that flashed about five times before becoming solid light, I recall there were units avaliable to do this but LTSA/NZTA or what ever they were called at the time refused to allow the use of a simple and sensible safety device.:blink::facepalm:

scumdog
15th April 2011, 21:23
Given the amount of leading-edge rebels on this site I'm surprised that flashing brake lights are seen as much to be concerned about legality-wise...<_<

Toaster
15th April 2011, 22:14

Quite possibly. It is quite common to see bikes riding along oblivious to the fact they have failed to turn off their indicator.

CookMySock
16th April 2011, 07:13
Given the amount of leading-edge rebels on this site I'm surprised that flashing brake lights are seen as much to be concerned about legality-wise...<_<Along with the leading edge rebels, there are also the religious do-gooder zealots who are often a lot better at hurling abuse. :blink:

scracha
16th April 2011, 08:59
I would disagree. Perheaps not to helpm been seen ON the road. But, a few weeks back I crashed my bike and went off the road. I fell down a ditch that was 3m lower than the road level. I broke my neck and back and could not move. For 5 hours I was there. As cars drove past, as did the ambulance

Mibby walking before you can run, telling someone where you're riding (if you're going somewhere remote) and carrying a mobile phone would be a far easier solution.

MSTRS
16th April 2011, 10:37
Quite possibly. It is quite common to see bikes riding along oblivious to the fact they have failed to turn off their indicator.

Not just bikes.
The other day, I was about to turn left from a side street (downleg of a T intersection). There were 3 cars coming from my right. The rear-most had his left indicator on. He was well to the left in his lane and travelling slightly slower than the 2 in front. Something told me to wait...and sure enough, he sailed straight on through. I gave him the international indicator-on signal. It took him another .5km and approaching the next side street to figure it out and turn the fucker off.
I was in my car, but I doubt that a non-rider would've waited...

steve_t
16th April 2011, 10:43
Not just bikes.
The other day, I was about to turn left from a side street (downleg of a T intersection). There were 3 cars coming from my right. The rear-most had his left indicator on. He was well to the left in his lane and travelling slightly slower than the 2 in front. Something told me to wait...and sure enough, he sailed straight on through. I gave him the international indicator-on signal. It took him another .5km and approaching the next side street to figure it out and turn the fucker off.

What's the international indicator-on signal?

MSTRS
16th April 2011, 10:53
Hand up, open/close fingers repeatedly.

steve_t
16th April 2011, 10:59
Hand up, open/close fingers repeatedly.

Thought so but a cager probably thought you were waving at him :shutup:

MSTRS
16th April 2011, 11:03
Surely not? I wasn't waggling my fingers or my eyebrows...

Toaster
16th April 2011, 13:53
Not just bikes.

Agreed mate. I don't move until I see where the vehicle is actually going, regardless of indication or the lack thereof.

pritch
16th April 2011, 18:58
I have been guilty of leaving the indicator on. Must remind myself to practice the auto cancel thing again. Shouldn't have to though, the technology must be available, my BMW had self cancelling blinkers some twenty years ago.

scumdog
17th April 2011, 09:40
I have been guilty of leaving the indicator on. Must remind myself to practice the auto cancel thing again. Shouldn't have to though, the technology must be available, my BMW had self cancelling blinkers some twenty years ago.

And our stone-age Harleys have them too.:yes:

MSTRS
17th April 2011, 09:50
... my BMW had self cancelling blinkers some twenty years ago.

You do know that is a design feature for bikes that are aimed at those who can't think for themselves?
:innocent::shit::chase::bleh:

NordieBoy
21st April 2011, 09:01

Or to indicate you're about to remove their mirror?

NordieBoy
21st April 2011, 09:38

"Design feature" or "Vibration induced"?

BMWST?
22nd April 2011, 13:34
i preety sure i am gonna get a LEd daylight running lamp,the ol gs doenst like running around town with the headlight on

Grahameeboy
24th April 2011, 21:13
Problem for HD riders is that the glove will make them look like Gary Glitter:shit:

Gone Burger
24th April 2011, 21:17
Mibby walking before you can run, telling someone where you're riding (if you're going somewhere remote) and carrying a mobile phone would be a far easier solution.

Did all that matey... got well lost, and cell phone had little reception and battery after 5 hours use was dying. Plus I wasn't cohearant enough to really talk on the phone, and made no sense to the rescuers. They knew my area, and if I had something illuminated on me, would have been picked up much earlier. got picked up after 5 hours after 9pm, and wouldnt have lasted much longer.

mulletman
25th April 2011, 00:04
Seen a bike for the first time with LEDs sorta wrapped around the handgards at dusk tonite very effective, bike looked like a traily with storm gards on.

Urano
25th April 2011, 07:28
I never even saw him.

the problem of bike perception depends on the fact that we are a "one lamp only" light source.
with the lack of a relative point a single light is a comprehension mess, as you cannot understand easily the direction of the light, the speed of the light, and even if the light is moving or not.
Peugeot made studies, years ago, and found that the situation would dramatically improve with a light at the end of a pair of meter high pole on the bike.
would you go around with a pole on your bike? someone would find it funny...

conclusion: those gloves are very useful if you need to pee at night and have difficulties finding your trousers zip...

Urano
25th April 2011, 07:29
Seen a bike for the first time with LEDs sorta wrapped around the handgards at dusk tonite very effective, bike looked like a traily with storm gards on.

remember, you saw him because you are a biker.
your brain understand the possibility that something similar to a bike could be on the road.
you would have seen it anyway...

schrodingers cat
25th April 2011, 07:47
Don't stop there

http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/article/100/1007626/tron-legacy-20090727010140440_640w.jpg

hardy-DAYTONA
27th April 2011, 10:36
Don't stop there

http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/article/100/1007626/tron-legacy-20090727010140440_640w.jpg

I would love to have a 'Tron' bike :D

I do think that it's better to be more visible whilst riding, and this glove COULD save lives. But most motorcycle vs car accidents are caused by the car driver not paying attention and pulling out infront of a motorcyclist.

People always blame motorbikes :nono:

varminter
27th April 2011, 20:15
I got one of those 'Light Bullets' on each of the hand guards on the Strom.Was thinking of a strip of LEd's also. Anyone know of some reasonable priced waterproof one's?

2wheeldrifter
30th April 2011, 10:10
Good for cyclists perhaps.
Not motorcyclists.

Would be great for WAVING to other riders at NIGHT !

wysper
30th April 2011, 11:58
Would be great for WAVING to other riders at NIGHT !

I stand corrected :drinkup: