PDA

View Full Version : 99 CBR600 F4 engine rebuild

bigfoot
18th April 2011, 22:36
:shit:
Hey guys so my CBR600 F4 made a big SNAP sound from the engine one fine morning while riding on the Southern. Gave it to a mechanic who sat on it for a while and he reckons the rod end bearing gave in and that my best bet is to get a new engine for it. Spent the last 6 months in hospital with my brain wanting to eat itself - I shit you not sir/mam, wierd rare nuerological condition called ADEM.:violin: All better now and I want to hop on the bike again

Sounds kinda extreme - i am a bit of a noob when it comes to mechanical work on bikes but I can appreciate that stripping an engine apart and rebuilding it is probably more expensive than just buying a new engine.

Any experienced ones out there wish to part some guidance on a cost efficient way of getting the ride back up and running ?? I mean would Honda give three quarters of a fuck if I rang them and asked for direction ??

ducatilover
18th April 2011, 22:41
It can be expensive, depending on what needs doing. It may have damaged the crank and the rod, but, if you re-build a CBR600F, it should be good for another 150,000k shouldn't it? They are meant to be uber reliable.

p.dath
19th April 2011, 07:40
Perhaps you could look for another wreck, and combine the parts (aka, make 1 bike out of 2). Might be cheaper than buying all the parts individually.

hayd3n
19th April 2011, 20:22
have a look in England , ebay etc, its seems far away but you-ll get a bargain and shipping wont kill to much
i got a 600 f3 head sent to my door in 3 days for $700 kiwi including shipping and all gaskets and bolts required to complete the job

bigfoot
20th April 2011, 22:04
have a look in England , ebay etc, its seems far away but you-ll get a bargain and shipping wont kill to much
i got a 600 f3 head sent to my door in 3 days for $700 kiwi including shipping and all gaskets and bolts required to complete the job

Cheers for your comment. That sounds like a pretty dam good deal...will check it out