PDA

View Full Version : Geeks needed

Hanne
6th May 2011, 10:54
OK, I know there are lots of computery engineery people in SMC.

I am after a voice recorder that is small and portable and can be plugged straight into my computer to get the files off easily (mp3 I guess is best?). It needs at least an hour of recording time.

I don't want one that will break in the first 5 minutes but I don't think a plain voice recorder should cost the earth, which is what most stores want to charge. Can anyone help me out here? Where could I try, what size should I look for to get a our of good quality audio? Has anyone tried out a certain type they could recommend? Also, do regular MP3 players with recording capabilities actually do a decent job?

Thanks,

Hanne

avgas
6th May 2011, 12:41
You in auckland?
I have an old DSE mp3 player that I used to use to record lectures. Stores about 32 hours of recording I think.
I don't use anymore - cost ya a 6 pack of speights.
I will be home (New Lynn) tomorrow

Hanne
6th May 2011, 14:47
Why did I not think of asking teh internets earlier? :P

Ricardo S
6th May 2011, 15:25
i usually use my mobile phone to record voice - i dont really use it too often thou.
it might pay to check and see if your phone has a voice record feature and test its quality... better than carry lots of gadgets around imho.

cheers

Hanne
6th May 2011, 15:39
My phone is the toughest, squarest brick I could find because it is always getting dropped/ going for excursions of its own out of pockets and needs to not break.

As a result it does not boast any extra gadgets apart from the 'call people' function and the 'text' one ><

The Pastor
6th May 2011, 16:59
my phone is the toughest, squarest brick i could find because it is always getting dropped/ going for excursions of its own out of pockets and needs to not break.

As a result it does not boast any extra gadgets apart from the 'call people' function and the 'text' one ><

getan iphone

Ixion
6th May 2011, 17:26
Android is geekier, more versatile, (lots) cheaper, and has more *useful* apps available. But iphone is simpler and has better battery life . (I have both, switch from one to other, can't make up mind). Recording capability on both.

Cell phones that only do voice and txt? Are such things still around ? Positively sooo 21st century. This *is* the 22nd century y'know we need to move with the times.

I know older folk are often nervous of new technology, but, really, you have nothing to be afraid of.

PirateJafa
6th May 2011, 19:35
You in auckland?
I have an old DSE mp3 player that I used to use to record lectures. Stores about 32 hours of recording I think.
I don't use anymore - cost ya a 6 pack of speights.
I will be home (New Lynn) tomorrow

Don't do it!

Hold out for at least a 12-pack of homebrew.

Slyer
6th May 2011, 20:45
Issue Squiggles with a pen and notepad, then just ring him.
You get your stuff recorded, and Squiggles learns how to use a pen!
Everybody wins.

The Pastor
7th May 2011, 09:38
Android is geekier, more versatile, (lots) cheaper, and has more *useful* apps available. But iphone is simpler and has better battery life . (I have both, switch from one to other, can't make up mind). Recording capability on both.

Cell phones that only do voice and txt? Are such things still around ? Positively sooo 21st century. This *is* the 22nd century y'know we need to move with the times.

I know older folk are often nervous of new technology, but, really, you have nothing to be afraid of.

iphones are now free with a plan :D

Ixion
7th May 2011, 13:11
iphones are now free with a plan :D

Unfortunately the plans arent free. You still pay , just a different way. Androids free too on a plan.

Plan is the most expensive way overall.. Cheapest waybis buy the handset and then get a 2degree sim. They had a really good deal a few months ago

Compare on the basis of how much the data costs, that's the expensive but. Plans that offer " x free minutesp" are a waste of time, no one uses pjhones to talk on now, and every plan or deal offers txts

The Pastor
7th May 2011, 14:04
Unfortunately the plans arent free. You still pay , just a different way. Androids free too on a plan.

Plan is the most expensive way overall.. Cheapest waybis buy the handset and then get a 2degree sim. They had a really good deal a few months ago

Compare on the basis of how much the data costs, that's the expensive but. Plans that offer " x free minutesp" are a waste of time, no one uses pjhones to talk on now, and every plan or deal offers txts

nah its like paying the phone off over two years, the extra the plan costs (over what i spend on prepay) is the same as buying it outright (but then i'd have to may more to use it...)

avgas
9th May 2011, 09:34
Give me a bell Hanne if you have any issues - I'll be drinking my beer :yes: