PDA

View Full Version : Clutch lockwasher

srider
15th May 2011, 18:52
Iv taken my clutch apart and taken all the plates off, gotten to the bolt on the inner hub and the lockwasher with the two tabs on it behind the bolt look absolutely trashed. Where are the tabs supposed to be? ie. bent towards the bike or bent outwards? It basically looks pretty messy and Im not sure what a normal one is meant to look like

Katman
15th May 2011, 18:54
They bend outwards onto the flats of the nut.

srider
15th May 2011, 18:58
Ahhh I see. Looks like whoever messed around with it before me has bent them inwards which seems to have messed it up. Would that be the cause of metal shards in the drained tranny oil or should I be investigating further into the basket?

Katman
15th May 2011, 19:04
Sorry, just had a look at the microfiche picture.

The two tabs go towards the motor and locate either side of a rib in the centre of the inner hub. Then you need to bend a different part of the washer outwards onto a flat of the nut.

Are the shards aluminium or steel? Does a magnet pick them up? If they're steel then you will probably need to split the crankcases and have a look at the gears.

srider
15th May 2011, 19:20
right..Yeh I spose there is another longer tab that seems to have been half chewed off aswell. Think the the shards look more like alu not steel. Are you able to tell me what the plates should look like? they seem straight and normal but im not sure what worn ones look like?? Thanks for your help!

Katman
15th May 2011, 19:24
right..Yeh I spose there is another longer tab that seems to have been half chewed off aswell. Think the the shards look more like alu not steel. Are you able to tell me what the plates should look like? they seem straight and normal but im not sure what worn ones look like?? Thanks for your help!

The fibre plates just need to measure more than the minimum thickness. That figure is found in the workshop manual. The steels plates need to be checked against a perfectly flat surface to check that they are not warped. If they seem fine just give them a sand up with some emery cloth.